Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LPT Surcharge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mynameisjohnny

They'll probably cap the surcharge at €420 which is the amount of LPT that was due. You'll have to contact LPT to request this though, probably handiest to do this through the MyEnquiries on the revenue website.
    Just explain that it was an oversight that you forgot to pay the LPT on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

I presume you are self employed or PAYE registered-and required to submit a tax return under PAYE.In either case to be tax compliant you must have paid the LPT on any properties you own.Your accountant would have known this and should have told you/advised you last year(if,aware that you owned property,but wouldn't he/she be aware) when LPT notifications were issued.
    It is normal practice to pay tax(not,100%) in advance of the year it is due.I mean pay tax in October 2020 for tax due in 2021.This,applies to self employed and those taxpayers on PAYE who submit their own tax return.Does your accountant mean you pay 10% now on the e420 paid on your LPT? Talk to Revenue and ask your accountant for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

They'll probably cap the surcharge at €420 which is the amount of LPT that was due. You'll have to contact LPT to request this though, probably handiest to do this through the MyEnquiries on the revenue website.
    Just explain that it was an oversight that you forgot to pay the LPT on time

Thanks, I just got the email last night. I'll have to follow up with accountant. €6,000 seems like a very expensive mistake. I guess it's Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

AFAIK the surcharge is 10% of the tax liability for the year not 10% of your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

The surcharge is 10% of the tax charge not 10% of the income. Once the LPT is paid the surcharge is capped at 100% of the LPT ( so basically you end up paying the LPT charge twice, once as LPT and once as a surcharge ) and any excess would be refunded/credited.

When completing the self-assessment section of the F11 you must specifically enter zero or an amount in the field "surcharge for non payment of LPT" so I normally do not submit a client's return before ensuring that the LPT is paid.

A recurring annual debit or monthly standing order set up through the LPT portal is one way to avoid it being missed.

• Advertisement

Stratvs wrote: »
    The surcharge is 10% of the tax charge not 10% of the income. Once the LPT is paid the surcharge is capped at 100% of the LPT ( so basically you end up paying the LPT charge twice, once as LPT and once as a surcharge ) and any excess would be refunded/credited.

When completing the self-assessment section of the F11 you must specifically enter zero or an amount in the field "surcharge for non payment of LPT" so I normally do not submit a client's return before ensuring that the LPT is paid.

A recurring annual debit or monthly standing order set up through the LPT portal is one way to avoid it being missed.

Well that sounds better than the response from revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Well that sounds better than the response from revenue.

What was the response from Revenue?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/local-property-tax/part-07/07-02.pdf
    See 3.2 here

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Why is there discrimination between different counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Pay twice. Better than paying 10 times but still crap for a genuine mistake in a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

For instance, houses in Boyle are not hit with property tax.😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Does boyle even exist?

Sounds like something to be lanced😂

Advertisement