Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 260

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    JDS caught him with a lucky shot. It happens, esp at HW.
    Very hard to argue that JDS was more skilled given the 10 rounds between them that followed.

Werdum subbed him after a 3 year layout to injury. I don't think that's the version the poster was talking about

He blew his knee vrs Francis in a freak injury. I think that the perfect example of Cain's banjax'd body. He his later years were plagued by it.

There was nothing lucky about it , he tried to strike with him and got Ko'd
    Changed up slightly for the next two fights and won ,

He fought Werdum 20 months after JDS that less than 2 years ,
    I think the excuse at the time was sea level Cain

He did blew his knee but wasn't that because he was dropping down and took a almighty shot from Francis that put him over his knee ? Not sure if I remember that correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Thought Stipe looked to lean and I don't know he only looked like he got up outta the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was nothing lucky about it , he tried to strike with him and got Ko'd
    Changed up slightly for the next two fights and won
    There was more striking in the first round of the second one than the first.

JDS threw 4 standing strikes in the first match.
    And 18 standing strikes in r1 of the rematch.

Knock outs are always a risk at HW. But to get one in the first few strikes requires the skill abd a bit of luck. That night started the myth of JDS’s boxing. He was hugely overrated for the subsequent fights.
    He fought Werdum 20 months after JDS that less than 2 years ,
    I think the excuse at the time was sea level Cain
    It was originally 12 months after the fight. But Cain pulled out late with torn meniscus and MCL that require surgery. So had that maybe 6 months or so before the Werdum fight. That’s not long enough imo. Would have been a few months before he could train and cardio would have gone to crap. Which would have been detrimental going to Mexico City. (As much as Sea Level Cain is a meme.) But at the same time Werdum is also an elite submission fighter. May well have caught a peak Cain.
    He did blew his knee but wasn't that because he was dropping down and took a almighty shot from Francis that put him over his knee ? Not sure if I remember that correctly
    He level changed for a single and the knee went.
    Wasn’t clear if he dropped from the punches because the knee was gone. Or if it went because he was punched and he dropped.

He’s been plagued by injuries regardless imo.

There was more striking in the first round of the second one than the first.

JDS threw 4 standing strikes in the first match.
    And 18 standing strikes in r1 of the rematch.

Knock outs are always a risk at HW. But to get one in the first few strikes requires the skill abd a bit of luck. That night started the myth of JDS’s boxing. He was hugely overrated for the subsequent fights.

It was originally 12 months after the fight. But Cain pulled out late with torn meniscus and MCL that require surgery. So had that maybe 6 months or so before the Werdum fight. That’s not long enough imo. Would have been a few months before he could train and cardio would have gone to crap. Which would have been detrimental going to Mexico City. (As much as Sea Level Cain is a meme.) But at the same time Werdum is also an elite submission fighter. May well have caught a peak Cain.

He level changed for a single and the knee went.
    Wasn’t clear if he dropped from the punches because the knee was gone. Or if it went because he was punched and he dropped.

He’s been plagued by injuries regardless imo.

So an excuse for every Cain lose

JDS 2 Cain made sure JDS was backed up against the cage from the first second, in the first one he was happy to fight in the center of the octagon, So different approach

why say 3 years when its less than 2? To make the excuse sound better?

Part of being a fighter is being able to cope with the rigors of the sport,

For me Cain isnt the GOAT of heavyweights

Obviously just my opinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JDS' 9 wins in a row in the UFC put him right up there. Beat some killers too.

• Advertisement

So an excuse for every Cain lose
    The previous point was if Cain stayed healthy, he’d have been goat. The injury history and the like are obviously relevant to that. :confused:
    Excuses? No. Just the reality of what happened.
    why say 3 years when its less than 2? To make the excuse sound better?
    He’s injury lay-offs started before than. Had surgery more than once. May have been over more than 3 years.

Everyone remotely in the Goat contention at HW has lost more than once. Bent never stayed still for the big boys.

The previous point was if Cain stayed healthy, he’d have been goat. The injury history and the like are obviously relevant to that. :confused:
    Excuses? No. Just the reality of what happened.

He’s injury lay-offs started before than. Had surgery more than once. May have been over more than 3 years.

Everyone remotely in the Goat contention at HW has lost more than once. Bent never stayed still for the big boys.

It was 20 months between fighting JDS 3 and Werdum .

Before that 20 month break he had 5 fights in just under 2 years ,

Not sure where your getting your 3 years from

The Nal wrote: »
    JDS' 9 wins in a row in the UFC put him right up there. Beat some killers too.

Correct plus in that 9 fight run he beat Cain once

In a 13 fights he won 11 and lost 2 (both to Cain) , list of names in that time is unreal
    Cain
    Miocic
    Hunt
    Mir
    Carwin
    Nelson
    Gonazga
    Cro Cop
    Struve
    Werdum

Has also beat Lewis and Rothwell since that run ,

It was 20 months between fighting JDS 3 and Werdum .

Before that 20 month break he had 5 fights in just under 2 years ,

Not sure where your getting your 3 years from
    Not sure which part of it you aren’t understand.
    He was plagued with imo for years. Multiple injuries. Surgery’s etc. Couldn’t possibly describing those years as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Really enjoyed Woodley Luque, Luques English is class so there's alot of star power potential after that win.

• Advertisement

Not sure which part of it you aren’t understand.
    He was plagued with imo for years. Multiple injuries. Surgery’s etc. Couldn’t possibly describing those years as healthy.

You said "Werdum subbed him after a 3 year layout to injury"

He fought JDS 20 months before that & won ,
    He fought Bigfoot 5 months before that & won
    he fought JDS 5 months before that & won
    He fought Bigfoot 6 months before that & won

But when he loses to Werdum it because of a 3 year layout with injury .

It's a made up EXCUSE

Correct plus in that 9 fight run he beat Cain once

In a 13 fights he won 11 and lost 2 (both to Cain) , list of names in that time is unreal
    Cain
    Miocic
    Hunt
    Mir
    Carwin
    Nelson
    Gonazga
    Cro Cop
    Struve
    Werdum

Has also beat Lewis and Rothwell since that run ,
    He’s beat come great fighters. And had a great run. Not trying to take away from it.
    But I find it off you exclude Cain for his 3 losses. But not JDS for his 9. (Inc the Cain destruction)

Stipe, Francis, DC, Fedor, Werdum all have a couple losses. The HW belt is cursed

He’s beat come great fighters. And had a great run. Not trying to take away from it.
    But I find it off you exclude Cain for his 3 losses. But not JDS for his 9. (Inc the Cain destruction)

Stipe, Francis, DC, Fedor, Werdum all have a couple losses. The HW belt is cursed

I never mentioned anything about JDS losses because I was just agreeing with someone on that great run of wins,

I find it odd people would have Cain in the GOAT conversation but not JDS

As you mentioned its very very hard for a heavy weight not to loss , a small fraction of a mistake and its lights out,

Honestly I think the best way to look at heavy weights is the wins on there record rather than how many loses ,

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

smilerf wrote: »
    Thought Stipe looked to lean and I don't know he only looked like he got up outta the bed

Thought this too - 13 pounds down on the first time they fought.

Ngannou made weight by 2lbs

Thought this too - 13 pounds down on the first time they fought.

He decided to drop weight after the first DC fight,
    Himself and his team reckon he was as strong or stronger but moved better,

It worked against DC but I don't think it was the right move for facing Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JDS caught him with a lucky shot.

This term makes me wince!

Normally used as an excuse or as part of a bias towards the fighter who lost.

He threw an overhand right, it hit Cain in the head as intended. It knocked him out.

If that's a "lucky punch" then 95% of KOs are lucky punches as well.

I find it odd people would have Cain in the GOAT conversation but not JDS
    JDS has lost too much to be goat imo, and when he has lost he's lost badly.
    That's not to say he's not a top HW and one of the best. Just not the best, or top 3 for me.

After the Cain KO. He was a huge favourite in the rematch. He was maybe undervalued originally, but people over-correct perceptions. Touting Roganisms like "best boxing in HW history".
    I imagine that's common in rematches generally.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    This term makes me wince!

Normally used as an excuse or as part of a bias towards the fighter who lost.

He threw an overhand right, it hit Cain in the head as intended. It knocked him out.

If that's a "lucky punch" then 95% of KOs are lucky punches as well.
    It's an expression. Of course it doesn't negate the fact they tried to land a punch. Call it randomness falling their way if you prefer. Knocking somebody out sometime involves a but luck. They could land the exact same punch and not get a KO, through no fault of their own. Surprised this make makes you "wince".

To look at it another way, a fighter can land a one hit KO without being the better fighter. Whereas, it's very hard to dominate somebody over multiple rounds, multiple 10-8s, etc. Without being the better fighter. I assume most would agree with that.
    Both fighters were better on the night. But only the latter requires one to be fundamentally better overall.

As an example. Matt Serra's TKO'd GSP. He wasn't better than GSP. That win doesn't elevate him to WW Goat conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

one problem with ngannou seems to be the lack of possible competition that would bring in big draws.

stipe might want/get a trilogy, jones might fight him.

other than those two & dereck lewis, there really isn't many people for him to fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

one problem with ngannou seems to be the lack of possible competition that would bring in big draws.

other than those two & dereck lewis, there really isn't many people for him to fight

Volkov? Maybe GAne in a year or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Asking to be cut again https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/3/29/22356823/jon-jones-sends-clear-message-to-ufc-please-just-cut-me-already-just-f-cking-let-me-go

That's not to say he's not a top HW and one of the best. Just not the best, or top 3 for me.

After the Cain KO. He was a huge favourite in the rematch. He was maybe undervalued originally, but people over-correct perceptions. Touting Roganisms like "best boxing in HW history".
    I imagine that's common in rematches generally.

It's an expression. Of course it doesn't negate the fact they tried to land a punch. Call it randomness falling their way if you prefer. Knocking somebody out sometime involves a but luck. They could land the exact same punch and not get a KO, through no fault of their own. Surprised this make makes you "wince".

To look at it another way, a fighter can land a one hit KO without being the better fighter. Whereas, it's very hard to dominate somebody over multiple rounds, multiple 10-8s, etc. Without being the better fighter. I assume most would agree with that.
    Both fighters were better on the night. But only the latter requires one to be fundamentally better overall.

As an example. Matt Serra's TKO'd GSP. He wasn't better than GSP. That win doesn't elevate him to WW Goat conversation.

JDS lost 4 on the bounce at the end but he was well finished at that stage
    In his prime Overeem is the only fight to beat him that JDS doesn't also hold a win over,

Cain list of named wins is far less impressive than JDS's

Cain : JDS , Bigfoot ,Lesnar , Big Nog ,Rothwell , Kongo

JDS : Cain, Miocic ,Lewis, Rothwell ,Hunt,Mir, Werdum ,Cro cop , Carwin,Nelson ,Gonzaga ,Struve

All HWs lose and lose badly. Thats why its so exciting. Theres a huge difference between pre and post USADA though. JDS suffered badly post USADA like a lot of Brazilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's an expression.

Surprised this make makes you "wince".

Yes, it's an expression that, in most cases, is designed to take away the credit from the victor whilst simultaneously make excuses for the loser.

It makes me wince because it's an excuse normally reserved for barstool crumb-bums.
    To look at it another way, a fighter can land a one hit KO without being the better fighter.

One fighter being better than the other does not make it a "lucky punch".

Bisping got dominated by Rockhold in their first fight but then KO'd him in the second. Rockhold at that point was the "better" fighter, but Bisping's punch was not "lucky". He threw it as he intended and it did the intended job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

And New
    It's a fair point. I mean look at Derek Lewis or even Francis himself in the majority of his career.

Most people they faced are better fighters, far better rounded with more expansive skill-sets. But that insane one-punch KO power is ever present - there's no luck in it, it's them playing to their incredible strengths and waiting for that narrow window they can work in.

Sometimes at the 11th hour. Wasn't it against Volkov where Lewis got dominated and then knocked him out in the last seconds of the last round. People can argue that was a freak KO or fluke, but when talking about someone like Lewis, that's unfair.

Of course I agree that a one-hit KO can be luck or a fluke, but it's neither of those things when talking about people who have made careers out of doing it repeatedly.

I would love to see Lewis v Ngannou again at some point. The first match was one of the biggest let downs of all time, Lewis was bad but Ngannou did almost literally nothing all 3 rounds. I remember Joe Rogan saying there should be some way to make them both losers on the judges decision.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's a fair point. I mean look at Derek Lewis or even Francis himself in the majority of his career.

Most people they faced are better fighters, far better rounded with more expansive skill-sets. But that insane one-punch KO power is ever present - there's no luck in it, it's them playing to their incredible strengths and waiting for that narrow window they can work in.

Sometimes at the 11th hour. Wasn't it against Volkov where Lewis got dominated and then knocked him out in the last seconds of the last round. People can argue that was a freak KO or fluke, but when talking about someone like Lewis, that's unfair.

Of course I agree that a one-hit KO can be luck or a fluke, but it's neither of those things when talking about people who have made careers out of doing it repeatedly.

I would love to see Lewis v Ngannou again at some point. The first match was one of the biggest let downs of all time, Lewis was bad but Ngannou did almost literally nothing all 3 rounds. I remember Joe Rogan saying there should be some way to make them both losers on the judges decision.

Was the worst UFC fight in years,
    When the ref lifted Lewis's hand he pulled it back down in disgust ,
    Not often you get the winner embarrassed to have his hand raised,

Basically they met in the octagon but a fight did not take place,

Was the worst UFC fight in years,
    When the ref lifted Lewis's hand he pulled it back down in disgust ,
    Not often you get the winner embarrassed to have his hand raised,

Basically they met in the octagon but a fight did not take place,

Jesus I forgot about that. The ref had to tell them both to engage. Crazy. Seems like a long time ago now. Ngannou was finished after that remember!

The Nal wrote: »
    Jesus I forgot about that. The ref had to tell them both to engage. Crazy. Seems like a long time ago now. Ngannou was finished after that remember!

I always remember mid fight Rogan said we may never see the Francis that knocked guys out again, ………….Next fight he got back to starching lads,

Francis said he was way to concerned with getting tired after the Stipe fight and didn't want to force anything but Lewis wasn't going to lead either so they both just stood there, Francis also said he thought it was 5 rounds

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bisping got dominated by Rockhold in their first fight but then KO'd him in the second. Rockhold at that point was the "better" fighter, but Bisping's punch was not "lucky". He threw it as he intended and it did the intended job.
    So you think Bisping was the Goat MW at that point because of the win? Or was it just his night? Because that was a discussion.
    You seem a fixated on the world lucky, but aren’t really explaining winning on the night translates to being the goat.

Advertisement