Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Sales this year?

• 27-12-2019 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find the sales bad this yr? I’m shopping mostly online & find M&S bad & Debenhams the same. In fact I’d say the Black Friday offers were better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Icsics wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the sales bad this yr? I’m shopping mostly online & find M&S bad & Debenhams the same. In fact I’d say the Black Friday offers were better

I can't find a thing on Next, M&S their boots aren't even on sale....or Debenhams. Anything on sale on Next site is gone ..maybe we're too late ( or too early as things go down late in Jan also)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was doing some browsing online the last few days and can't see anything I like, or when I do the markdown isn't great. Same in the shops I've been into!
    I've noticed some shops seem to put out unsold stock they had in their last sale, and the sale prices still not great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Arket do that but considering they will do exactly the same shape next season in different colour tha doesn't bother me. I didn't do much sales shopping this year. I ordered black leather skirt in Mango I was eying up for a while and a simple dress and a bag in Cos. I don't overly do florals or patterns so a lot of stuff this year just doesn't appeal to me. That being said I got an awesome down coat from Guess reduced to 150 Euro from around 250 and pair of Mango leather rubber soled boots in Black Friday sale so I'm quite happy with the stuff I have in my wardrobe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sales are always bad because shops take out all the old stock they wearnt able to sell and put them up with a sale tag.
    That said Mango have a very good sale on, im really liking allot of their clothes but havnt bought from anywhere else, just came off the Asos site, for the thousands and thousands of items they have up, you'd think something would be worth buying but its all crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sales are always bad because shops take out all the old stock they wearnt able to sell and put them up with a sale tag.
    That said Mango have a very good sale on, im really liking allot of their clothes but havnt bought from anywhere else, just came off the Asos site, for the thousands and thousands of items they have up, you'd think something would be worth buying but its all crap.

Asos has become a pain, too much to scroll through. Sale not great either. Zara sale not great this year. I always find zara sales good, but couldn't see anything last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Asos has become a pain, too much to scroll through. Sale not great either. Zara sale not great this year. I always find zara sales good, but couldn't see anything last night.

Asos website is stressful to use, theres so many items, most of them total crap, and the more I scroll down my laptop starts to freeze, its a nightmare to use.
    Went into Zara a week ago and despite there being so much stuff, I left with nothing. The website is no better.
    I wish shops would produce less items with better quality. They are all choosing quantity over quality lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Zara, ASOS etc seem to be the same quality as Penneys nowadays, disposable stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think a lot of the winter stuff is not actually on sale yet. That said I’ve bought a lot online as my wardrobe is at catastrophically low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

fits wrote: »
    I think a lot of the winter stuff is not actually on sale yet. That said I’ve bought a lot online as my wardrobe is at catastrophically low levels.

I'm exactly the opposite. I keep clothes for years and this year a lot of them are in good condition and relatively relevant. I bought more last year. I had to replace a few jumpers, added a shiny vinyl trousers (you need those) and couple of pairs of boots (a snake print cowboy shoe boot can be surprisingly versatile). I also had a family thing so I had to visit my parents for a few days and I found grey suit jacket and trousers that were tailor made for me probably over 20 years ago. Trousers fit me perfectly and jacket just needed shoulders taken in.

I might pick an odd thing online but I can happily stay away from shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Maybe it’s our subconscious becoming more fussy and environmentally aware.
    Not a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm exactly the opposite. I keep clothes for years and this year a lot of them are in good condition and relatively relevant. I bought more last year. I had to replace a few jumpers, added a shiny vinyl trousers (you need those) and couple of pairs of boots (a snake print cowboy shoe boot can be surprisingly versatile). I also had a family thing so I had to visit my parents for a few days and I found grey suit jacket and trousers that were tailor made for me probably over 20 years ago. Trousers fit me perfectly and jacket just needed shoulders taken in.

I might pick an odd thing online but I can happily stay away from shops.

I also keep clothes for years but I’ve bought almost nothing since my twins were born three years ago as I hoped to return to original size. Hasn’t happened unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Usually even though I don't "need" anything I still have a look either online or in store at the sales just in case I see something nice. But this year I really can't be bothered. I'm not in the humour to paw around rails of rubbish or scroll through pages and pages of stock online. I'm still subscribed to a lot of email alerts and since the week before Thanksgiving/Black Friday it's been a constant stream of emails about sales, reductions, discount codes, limited time, etc. It just feels like the sales have been constant since and then they don't really feel like sales anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I found that Zara in particular had a very poor sale this year.

In comparison to their offers on black Friday, where things were generally 50% of, the same items back on sale but at a lesser reduction.

One dress I bought for €25 (down from €50) on black Friday is now on "sale" for €35.

SozBbz wrote: »
    I found that Zara in particular had a very poor sale this year.

In comparison to their offers on black Friday, where things were generally 50% of, the same items back on sale but at a lesser reduction.

One dress I bought for €25 (down from €50) on black Friday is now on "sale" for €35.

Just to follow up on my previous post, I've been watching the Zara sale, and they've been dropping their prices as they go, so if you were disappointed in the first round of reductions, might be worth checking again (if the item is still in stock that is!)

I was in one of their stores about a week ago and spotted a top that I wanted.
    Origional price - €25.99, reduced to 19.99 but they didnt have my size. I took the product code to check on the app and found that not only did they have my size, but it was €15.99, so I went ahead an ordered it (or so I thought).

I later noticed it was still in my bag on the app but just thought that maybe i'd accidentally saved it twice -it was at this point €9.99. I thought "meh!", I could have done better but I didnt do badly.

Then today, it occurred to me that I'd have expected an update on it by now, so checked my mail and couldnt find any order confirmation. Turns out I obviously never completed my order! (Dope!) Anyway, I went in to find it again and it was now reduced to €5.99! And this time I'm sure I've actually bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Post Christmas and January sales this year (reductions on full priced normal stock, not ****e they could not shift) hasn't really happened this year.

Best sales by far were Black Friday and the lead up to christmas, after that it's been rubbish...IMO anyway.

Actually I've just made another sale buy from a retailer I've never bought from before - McElhinneys! I'm a Dub so it wouldnt be a natural port of call for me, but I saw via an influencer on instagram (not sponcon - just a tip from one of her followers) that they had good reductions on Sorel boots.

I've always wanted some but they are pricey and typically the ones that get reduced are the weird looking ones that you don't actually want.

I got these at 40% off
    https://www.mcelhinneys.com/sorel-explorer-waterproof-boots-tan/

Advertisement