Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Clerical Officer 2020 in the Civil and Public Service

• 27-11-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Temporary Clerical Officer Campaign is going live on Thursday, 28 November and closes at 3PM on 11 December. We will be recruiting nationwide across the Civil Service.

As a Temporary Clerical Officer, the role may involve general clerical duties, working as part of a team in delivering services, working with latest technology to record and advance services, supporting line-managers and colleagues and communicating and providing a quality public service to customers and the general public.

The recruitment process will consist of
    two stages.
    1. Stage One is an Assessment Questionnaire available for both standard and special needs candidates and
    2. a competency based interviews.

View: TCO Campaign on publicjobs.ie
    View: Competency Framework for Clerical Officers
    View: Information Booklet

This campaign is ran by the Public Appointments Service (PAS) and a panel of suitable candidates will be formed from this competition.

The Civil Service and certain public service agencies may, from time to time, require temporary clerical officers (TCOs) to fill full-time temporary vacancies. Requests to fill many of these vacancies are undertaken through the Public Appointments Service (PAS). To facilitate possible demands, PAS will initiate a selection process to fill vacancies should they arise. Candidates should be aware that placement on a panel is not a guarantee of appointment.

The terms and conditions, including the duration and period of temporary contracts offered will vary from post to post. Assignments will be to a temporary position. There is no entitlement to a permanent position. Please note that the minimum contract duration is for an eight-week period.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 QuestionSpark

Is it correct that the current 2019 TCO panels expire when the 2020 competition opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Is it correct that the current 2019 TCO panels expire when the 2020 competition opens?

No, Not exactly. The panels are formed by county once the first batch has completed interview stage (this is still a few week away).

In the information booklet for the TCO 2019 (Part 2) it states:
    This panel will expire when a new panel is formed from the TCO 2020 competition.

I saw on the old thread they only recently interviewed candidates for Dublin on the TCO 2019 panel, so they could also delay forming of a new panel in counties like Dublin by holding off on the interview stage for TCO 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Asdfghtabs

On the qualifications part of the application form they ask for degree held. I won't be graduating from college until the summer so what should I put down there? The uni exams I've done so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 suppet

The application is now live!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Well this is good. This wasn't in any of the previous information booklets before, as far as I know!
    Assignments will be to a temporary position. The duration and period of a temporary contract will vary from post to post. There is no entitlement to a permanent position. Notwithstanding the above paragraph on tenure, we retain the right to consider holding a confined Selection Process for established appointment to certain positions within the Civil Service in certain limited circumstances. Any process will be held in compliance with the Commission for Public Service Appointments (CPSA) Code of Practice for Atypical Appointments to positions in the Civil Service and certain Public Bodies.

In other words, they can make a TCO permanent in certain circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Asdfghtabs wrote: »
    On the qualifications part of the application form they ask for degree held. I won't be graduating from college until the summer so what should I put down there? The uni exams I've done so far?

Enter the qualifications you have actually completed on the day you fill the form in.

Enter the qualifications you have actually completed on the day you fill the form in.

But then it will look like I did my Leaving Cert years ago and have been doing nothing but part time jobs since.

But then it will look like I did my Leaving Cert years ago and have been doing nothing but part time jobs since.

It doesn't matter, the only time that might come into play is at interview stage perhaps, and you can explain at that point. Just do the application, and then you will get an online assessment to do later on.

If it worries you that much just put down 'XXX-Present'

As mentioned you should complete the form as correct on the day. You can say in the supplementary section that you are currently doing a course and state the key details (Title, name of college and what year you are in).

The main thing is that you meet the minimum eligibility requirements, they won't consider it until interview stage.

Its a competency based interview so the time they spend on the education and work section will only be about 2 minutes. After that you will be asked for examples of times you demonstrated the competency (skill or behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Is it on public jobs.ie? Could someone please add a link as I couldn't find it :/ tia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

youandme13 wrote: »
    Is it on public jobs.ie? Could someone please add a link as I couldn't find it :/ tia!

Don’t put attention to detail on your application. The link was in the OP:pac::pac:

https://publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=111458&campaignId=19265706

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scouseouse

I'm going to apply but a bit concerned by the requirement to provide 2 written references at interview stage. I've been out of work more than 2 years including stint as carer, and I know my previous employer have a 'no written reference 'policy.
    Has anyone else sucessful dealt with this kind of situation? I'm based in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 QuestionSpark

Scouseouse wrote: »
    I'm going to apply but a bit concerned by the requirement to provide 2 written references at interview stage. I've been out of work more than 2 years including stint as carer, and I know my previous employer have a 'no written reference 'policy.
    Has anyone else sucessful dealt with this kind of situation? I'm based in Donegal.

Out of work for a couple of years. When going to interview, brought a reference from my last employer and a college reference. Was concerned that they weren't recent but no-one commented on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Do you have to state the reason why I left a previous job?

Do you have to state the reason why I left a previous job?

You do but you don't have to write an essay:
    if the job was temporary - "contract expired"
    if you got a better job - "development opportunity"
    if you went back to education - "academic opportunity"
    If you got fired - "personal commitments" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

In the information booklet where it says:
    "Candidates who wish to be considered for positions which may arise (in accordance with their availability preference outlined on the application form), must be available for the full duration of the contract offered. Holidays/Events are not taken into consideration. Candidates who indicate that they are available from ‘April to September’ or ‘All Year’ should be available for the entirety of that period."

Does this mean that you can't have a holiday during the year if you've said you're available all year?

In the information booklet where it says:
    "Candidates who wish to be considered for positions which may arise (in accordance with their availability preference outlined on the application form), must be available for the full duration of the contract offered. Holidays/Events are not taken into consideration. Candidates who indicate that they are available from ‘April to September’ or ‘All Year’ should be available for the entirety of that period."

Does this mean that you can't have a holiday during the year if you've said you're available all year?

I'm not too sure, as you will get a certain amount of annual leave for the contract and it's usually never a problem to book it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How does it benefit them to have a pdf application that is not universally accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ficheall wrote: »
    How does it benefit them to have a pdf application that is not universally accessible?

If you cannot figure our a PDF, you likely cannot do the typical tasks in the job, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If you cannot figure our a PDF, you likely cannot do the typical tasks in the job, either.
    Thanks for your helpful comment, Mrs O'B. Adobe Acrobat Reader no longer supports Linux, so while I can use an old version to edit the document, I cannot be sure the application will render correctly on the far side. Sent anyway, and fingers crossed.

Presumably if I were to get the role, they would provide the proprietary software needed to work with their systems. Give that they list email, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel as the required technical competencies, I suspect I could get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scouseouse

Ficheall wrote: »

I understand the difficulty.. finally got the pdf reader to read on 5th device tried. Despite all assurances that Reader DC is installed and can operate on the pcs I've tried . I've used this software a lot for pdf editing and annotation but this is the triciest file I've yer come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just had a read of terms and conditions. Says hours of attendance wont be less then 43 hrs 15mins a week. Anyone know If these are the actual hours worked ? Or gross hours before lunch breaks etc are taken out ?

Just had a read of terms and conditions. Says hours of attendance wont be less then 43 hrs 15mins a week. Anyone know If these are the actual hours worked ? Or gross hours before lunch breaks etc are taken out ?

Gross hours. Net hours are 37 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crumbs3000

I have a pizza delivery job in my recent employment history. I'd like to include it in the application because I don't want an employment gap but I'm concerned about including a job that is notorious for being cash-in-hand/a nixer in a public sector application. Should I just leave it out?

Just a question on the time periods, they only give two options, April-September and All Year. I'm available from May onwards so should I check All Year? Presumably they don't start recruiting from the very start of the year since the interviews are in January?

Just a question on the time periods, they only give two options, April-September and All Year. I'm available from May onwards so should I check All Year? Presumably they don't start recruiting from the very start of the year since the interviews are in January?

in previous years, it was from April however there was problems with the 2019 panel so it will depend on the county and requirements of the departments.

If your available from may to the end of year - your probably better off going all year round.

in previous years, it was from April however there was problems with the 2019 panel so it will depend on the county and requirements of the departments.

If your available from may to the end of year - your probably better off going all year round.

Thanks.

Also is there any way of knowing which county will have the highest demand for people? I don't want to end up sitting on a panel for 2 years if I make it that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

crumbs3000 wrote: »
    I have a pizza delivery job in my recent employment history. I'd like to include it in the application because I don't want an employment gap but I'm concerned about including a job that is notorious for being cash-in-hand/a nixer in a public sector application. Should I just leave it out?

Keep it in, they won't care.

Thanks.

Also is there any way of knowing which county will have the highest demand for people? I don't want to end up sitting on a panel for 2 years if I make it that far.

The TCO panel is only for 1 year - unfortunately not, a lot of TCO's fill in for staff on shorter working year, other for projects or period of high demand. counties with most government office will obviously have more demand but some departments may still not know how many TCO's they will be taking on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

Hi all. Has anybody received their link to the online assessment questionnaire? It has to be completed by this Thursday. Thanks. I haven't received mine yet.

Advertisement