Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Band

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

MJohnston wrote: »
    Actually Denim also includes some additional hardware improvements that didn't exist in the Dev Preview software - such as the camera speed improvements.

only to newer hardware - i have a 1020 and the camera didn't get that update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Camera stuff wouldn't apply to the 520 I have either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

My L920 is on Windows 10 build 10052, but says Cyan (it was Denim before upgrade). Do you think this would interfere with a Band if I picked one up? (e.g. missing features?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Guys, Just wondering if any of you have one of these on iPhone & if it's as detailed in it's reporting.

Also what other apps does it integrate with? Myfitnesspal, runtastic etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

OU812 wrote: »
    Guys, Just wondering if any of you have one of these on iPhone & if it's as detailed in it's reporting.

Also what other apps does it integrate with? Myfitnesspal, runtastic etc ?

The only thing missing from the feature set if you use a Band with a non-Windows Phone is the Cortana tile, Cortana voice control, and the on-band keyboard for text replies. All fitness related functionality is completely the same across all platforms.

You can connect with RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, MS HealthVault, MapMyFitness, and Strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ablelocks wrote: »
    do ye wear the band on the recommended inside wrist or as a "normal" watch - I don't think I'd be able to wear it on inside wrist....

I wear it face on the inside, OH face on the outside. But I do swap it depending on what I am doing. Either way is comfortable to wear for me, but it is easier to use with the face to the inside IMHO.

Oh and anyone getting one should really get a protector for it.

kayos wrote: »
    I wear it face on the inside, OH face on the outside. But I do swap it depending on what I am doing. Either way is comfortable to wear for me, but it is easier to use with the face to the inside IMHO.

Face inside my wrist here works best for me 90% of the time, but when I'm typing at a desk on a keyboard, I have found that flipping it around so that face is on top of my wrist works best.
    Oh and anyone getting one should really get a protector for it.

Absolutely vital!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A great update is out for the band now, including multi device support (I.e. Use your phone as a tracker) and automatic sleep tracking.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-health-app-updated-auto-detection-sleep-mode-multi-device-support-more?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

i'm finding it harder and harder to resist buying this...can't justify it unless i get off my arse and start some actual fitness...

CatInABox wrote: »
    A great update is out for the band now, including multi device support (I.e. Use your phone as a tracker) and automatic sleep tracking.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-health-app-updated-auto-detection-sleep-mode-multi-device-support-more?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Seems like the update is just for the Health app itself, so the auto sleep thing is just data crunching rather than your Band going into sleep mode automatically. At least they know people want that feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭jos22

Detected sleep

Microsoft Band will auto-detect sleep events over two hours long, even when your Sleep tile is off. However, if you want to track sleep restoration, be sure to set your Sleep tile in motion when you hit the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

i'm finding it harder and harder to resist buying this...can't justify it unless i get off my arse and start some actual fitness...

See your thinking about it wrong.
    Get it, look at how lazy you are for a week, start trying to beat your normal routines.

It really is just a form of gamification. Honestly some days I look at it towards the end of the evening and remind myself that I need to get up and move more cause I was 2K short on steps or whatever goal I have set myself. Getting the little buzz saying goal met means I've at least got some exercise in. Once I hit it a regularly raise the bar again.

Also its not just a fitness tracker. If that's all you want there are cheaper alternatives. All the notifications from your phone and if you are running Windows Phone then the ability to reply to sms's or use cortana.

Next up for me is get a look at the SDK I has some ideas :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

See your thinking about it wrong.
    Get it, look at how lazy you are for a week, start trying to beat your normal routines.

See if you can be lazier the next week? Fewer steps, lower heart rate, that sort of thin? :D

Next up for me is get a look at the SDK I has some ideas :).

Same here! I really hope they expand the SDK at Build though because right now it only really offers access to the sensors for phone based apps, what I want to build is a Dublin Bikes finder app for the Band itself!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Went out for my first run there uesterday, and I think my Band might have a problem. It couldn't find any GPS signal at all. I've tried it a couple of times now, even while just walking along, but it just keeps searching until it eventually says it can't find any. I'm in London, but I wouldn't think that the height of the buildings around me would get in the way, it's mainly 4 to 5 floor buildings.

So, how long does yours take to lock on?

Went out for my first run there uesterday, and I think my Band might have a problem. It couldn't find any GPS signal at all. I've tried it a couple of times now, even while just walking along, but it just keeps searching until it eventually says it can't find any. I'm in London, but I wouldn't think that the height of the buildings around me would get in the way, it's mainly 4 to 5 floor buildings.

So, how long does yours take to lock on?

I go running in Phoenix Park mostly, and it usually takes about 30 second to get a lock. Never really tried it somewhere that is built up though, so I'm not sure if tall buildings are a problem - is there a park you can go to and test it?

I assume a band purchased in the USA will work fine here?

(the full SDK is released too - saw a couple of articles on it this morning.)

I assume a band purchased in the USA will work fine here?

(the full SDK is released too - saw a couple of articles on it this morning.)

Yep, bought mine in the US and it works perfectly fine. Doesn't come with a wall plug anyway, just a USB charging cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Hesht

This may sound like a really weird question, but did you guys have any problems with the sizing of the band, and choosing the right size?

Hesht wrote: »
    This may sound like a really weird question, but did you guys have any problems with the sizing of the band, and choosing the right size?

I got the small one and after few weeks of wearing it , not as tight anymore. at first tho it felt very tight even on min tightness

• Advertisement

jos22 wrote: »
    I got the small one and after few weeks of wearing it , not as tight anymore. at first tho it felt very tight even on min tightness

I've got the medium since it came out in the UK, and it's totally fine now. I thought I'd never get used to wearing it, but it only took a couple of days.

The adjustable clasp is a brilliant piece of design, loose when I'm walking around, then if I'm going for a run, I can make it tighter in a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I've got the medium since it came out in the UK, and it's totally fine now. I thought I'd never get used to wearing it, but it only took a couple of days.

The adjustable clasp is a brilliant piece of design, loose when I'm walking around, then if I'm going for a run, I can make it tighter in a second.

Same here, it took a couple of days.

Try putting it on the hand you write with, feels really weird and restrictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Where can this thing be bought?

GEO147 wrote: »

amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Currys and PCWorld list it on their websites. I don't know if you can actually try it out in one of their shops, but their price of €240 is actually a little cheaper than the £170 that it would cost from Amazon, when you take into account Amazons exchange rate, and the etra VAT they'll add on for delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

You can only get it delivered via Currys/PC World and it works out at €244.99. My brother was in the States and only arrived back yesterday. Im kicking myself. Is it worth the €244.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJake77

Hello, I am wondering where could i buy this band somwhere in ireland or on some website at a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

JJake77 wrote: »
    Hello, I am wondering where could i buy this band somwhere in ireland or on some website at a reasonable price?
    Do you mean somewhere other than the places that were mentioned in this thread in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can only get it delivered via Currys/PC World and it works out at €244.99. My brother was in the States and only arrived back yesterday. Im kicking myself. Is it worth the €244.99?

Actually it looks like you can collect it at the Carrickmines (Currys PCworld) store too if you don't want to wait for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

PCWorld in Blanch have had them in stock too.

Advertisement