Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Their players were very petulant and showed no respect to the referee. Jackson West was especially bad in this regard. But it wasn't a full strength Saracens team at all. I don't know how much can be read into this. They don't usually get hammered like this though. Very unSaracans performance.

Wasn't a full strength Quins side either in fairness, but even for Sarries B/C it was a woeful performance. That side was very close to the team they put out against Munster away and were within 7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wonder if there is a split in the Saracens camp at this point. If you look at it from Jackson Wray's perspective, he has dedicated his entire career to Saracens, appearing for them over 200 times. He's not top tier but is a very solid club player and the type that every successful club has several of to keep the show on the road when the stars are gone.

His lifetime club are now falling apart and his future career is in major jeopardy due to the impropriety of club officials in handing the stars dubious deals and financial incentives. Those players will comfortably get a massive payday elsewhere and a few of them have long careers still ahead of them.

If I was in Wray's boots, I'd be extremely disillusioned and even resentful towards the club officials and, with the publication of the report, the players who were involved in these arrangements (bollocks they were unaware). His career is now in trouble. He's 30 this year and he will possibly have to uproot to find another club whilst potentially taking a paycut even when moving. I would imagine he's on a very good salary for someone of his calibre based on his longevity and experience at the club.

It's not hard to imagine a situation developing within the club where the week to week soldiers like Wray or Barrington are fuming at how things have gone whilst the Farrell's and Itoje's weigh up which offer to take for their next payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good post Buer. I hadn't considered the split of have and have nots within the playing squad.

I imagine there will be some very candid interviews from the likes of Jackson Wray in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'd have to imagine a good portion of those squad players would've turned down offers from elsewhere at points in their career in favour of staying at Saracens for a winning environment and potentially getting starting places etc, when they could've gotten more game time elsewhere and kicked on. And these weren't the lads getting the side deals from Wray, and I'd imagine their contract negotiations weren't as 'open chequebook' either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

We're going to skip the Munster game allocation and take our chances on the season ticket presale for better seats.

Does anyone have a clue what prices will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Shortlist for European Player of teh Year is out. 3 Leinster players on it

Marcell COETZEE (Ulster Rugby)

John COONEY (Ulster Rugby)

Luke COWAN-DICKIE (Exeter Chiefs)

Tadhg FURLONG (Leinster Rugby)

Stuart HOGG (Exeter Chiefs)

Jerome KAINO (Toulouse)

Jordan LARMOUR (Leinster Rugby)

George MOALA (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

Romain NTAMACK (Toulouse)

Semi RADRADRA (Bordeaux-Bègles)

Garry RINGROSE (Leinster Rugby)

Finn RUSSELL (Racing 92)

Sam SIMMONDS (Exeter Chiefs)

Teddy THOMAS (Racing 92)

Virimi VAKATAWA (Racing 92)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not enough Recognition for VDF really. Guess he isn't doing the glamour things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I would think anyone involved at Saracens had a fair idea the cap wasn’t being respected, be impossible not to be aware. I don’t really see why there should be a split now, I presume even the wider squad members had reasons to stay when they did, either because their salary there was still better than elsewhere or it gave them an opportunity to be part of a successful squad.

That’s not to say that I think morale has been unaffected of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Vakatawa will walk it IMO, rarely you see so many matches where there is clearly one player on the field better than all the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bazzo wrote: »
    Vakatawa will walk it IMO, rarely you see so many matches where there is clearly one player on the field better than all the rest.

If Racing get to the final, I think he's almost a dead cert to get it. They're away to Clermont tho, and it'd be atypical for a player knocked out in the QF to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

aloooof wrote: »
    If Racing get to the final, I think he's almost a dead cert to get it. They're away to Clermont tho, and it'd be atypical for a player knocked out in the QF to get it.

That's true had completely forgotten about that "quirk"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bazzo wrote: »

Only if Racing get to the final . I'd agree with you though, he's been the outstanding player to date without question

The winner has always come from the 2 teams in the final. Not saying that's right , it's just how it has always been so far.

The only exception was in the 1st year of the award in 2010 when it went to O'Gara as a "lifetime achievement" style thing.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I would think anyone involved at Saracens had a fair idea the cap wasn’t being respected, be impossible not to be aware. I don’t really see why there should be a split now, I presume even the wider squad members had reasons to stay when they did, either because their salary there was still better than elsewhere or it gave them an opportunity to be part of a successful squad.

There's a big difference between knowing the cap is being broken and plodding along and being told your contract isn't being renewed or your facing a year in an amateur league because the cap was broken. It's a complete change in the situation and the perception of it for those involved.

Whilst logic would suggest that most players were being paid above their market value, it's very easy to imagine a scenario where those being paid creatively are seen to be more culpable by those who were just on straightforward salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shortlist for European Player of teh Year is out. 3 Leinster players on it

Marcell COETZEE (Ulster Rugby)

John COONEY (Ulster Rugby)

Luke COWAN-DICKIE (Exeter Chiefs)

Tadhg FURLONG (Leinster Rugby)

Stuart HOGG (Exeter Chiefs)

Jerome KAINO (Toulouse)

Jordan LARMOUR (Leinster Rugby)

George MOALA (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

Romain NTAMACK (Toulouse)

Semi RADRADRA (Bordeaux-Bègles)

Garry RINGROSE (Leinster Rugby)

Finn RUSSELL (Racing 92)

Sam SIMMONDS (Exeter Chiefs)

Teddy THOMAS (Racing 92)

Virimi VAKATAWA (Racing 92)

No Saracens players? Hmmm. Finn Russell better then Owen Farrell?

As great as Furlong is I don't think he deserves the nom this year. VDF has been our standout forward.

No Saracens players? Hmm.Finn Russell better then Owen Farrell?

In fairness, guys like Farrell and Itoje only made two appearances. Jamie George and Daly made 3.

None of their big names really featured enough to be considered.

Finn Russell is 100% deserving of his nomination based on the pool stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

troyzer wrote: »
    We're going to skip the Munster game allocation and take our chances on the season ticket presale for better seats.

Does anyone have a clue what prices will be?

We're doing the same for the Saracens game our allocation is behind the goal posts. We did upgrade as a group for the Northampton game, but it was an awful hassle......had to be done with phone calls to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Furlong is a very strange choice. VdF was a very strange omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

What times the team annoucement? I'll be very surprised if Conners makes the bench. He's been bang average this season and handing out caps willy nilly degrades the jersey.

Edit: Meant for Irish thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Granny15 wrote: »
    What times the team annoucement? I'll be very surprised if Conners makes the bench. He's been bang average this season and handing out caps willy nilly degrades the jersey.

The next team announcement will be 12PM on 14th Feb. There’s a high likelihood that Connors will start given that VDF won’t be released from Ireland camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Granny15 wrote: »

No Leinster fixtures this weekend.

Also we don't have a Conners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Just realised I thought this was the Irish thread.

Connors has hardly been average. Been a standout player in the league. He's untested at higher levels however. His biggest problem is the quality that's ahead of him and behind him. One slip up or injury and he's fourth choice openside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Connors has hardly been average. Been a standout player in the league. He's untested at higher levels however. His biggest problem is the quality that's ahead of him and behind him. One slip up or injury and he's fourth choice openside.
    Will Connors is a hero for donning a blue scrum cap and playing the Tadhg Beirne role in training before Leinster played Scarlets in the Champion's Cup in 2018. #NeverForget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Porridge is a hero for donning a blue scrum cap and playing the Tadhg Beirne role in training before Leinster played Scarlets in the Champion's Cup in 2018. #NeverForget.

FYP

The trolls always come out around Six Nations time to lash the Ireland team.

I've never seen the point of it.

The trolls always come out around Six Nations time to lash the Ireland team.

I've never seen the point of it.

I can absolutely understand the pettyness that drives it, I just can't understand people not seeing through it and insisting on replying to the most inane nonsense.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the Leinster thread. Don't bring things from the Ireland thread in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

awec wrote: »
    This is the Leinster thread. Don't bring things from the Ireland thread in here.

But it's a safe space in here!! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just wondering how much the tickets will be starting from tomorrow? cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement