Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegas wedding!!!

• 26-01-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, my partner and I are very seriously considering heading to Vegas to get married! Neither of us really want the "big white wedding" here at home, but we will more than likely have a party with family and close friends on our return...

My question is, would a Vegas wedding be legal and recognized here in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

no88y wrote: »
    Hi all, my partner and I are very seriously considering heading to Vegas to get married! Neither of us really want the "big white wedding" here at home, but we will more than likely have a party with family and close friends on our return...

My question is, would a Vegas wedding be legal and recognized here in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yes.
    My brother and his wife married in Vegas some years ago. Seems the perfect thing to do if people don't want the old 'big white wedding'
    thing.

Yes, make sure you go to the registration office after the ceremony and get your long form marriage certificate or apply for it and have it posted. You'll need the long form cert to have the marriage recognised in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got married in Las Vegas last year, yes the marriage is legally recognised.
    You don't need to do anything in Ireland, your marriage is registered in the State of Nevada and the marriage certificate they issue is accepted as cert in Ireland.
    Don't forget to notify Revenue after you're married.

The whole process is incredibly straight forward.
    We had a great time and can only recommend doing it.

Ah, I got married in another State (courthouse), and we were issued a short form cert and then had to apply for the long form cert for official stuff. I suspect it was a mixture of misinformation and different States having different rules. Not surprised Vegas weddings are so popular, I've never heard of anyone regretting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 no88y

Candie wrote: »
    Ah, I got married in another State (courthouse), and we were issued a short form cert and then had to apply for the long form cert for official stuff. I suspect it was a mixture of misinformation and different States having different rules. Not surprised Vegas weddings are so popular, I've never heard of anyone regretting it.

I believe Brittney Spears regretted it... lol

Yeah we have been thinking about it for a while now, and all the information I'm getting and reading into suggest that it's the way to go, also my girlfriend and I are big elvis fans!! There's so much of a choice there for all kinds of tastes and so fecking affordable!!! We are also going to treat ourselves to a few nights in the Bellagio woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 23 no88y

LirW wrote: »
    I got married in Las Vegas last year, yes the marriage is legally recognised.
    You don't need to do anything in Ireland, your marriage is registered in the State of Nevada and the marriage certificate they issue is accepted as cert in Ireland.
    Don't forget to notify Revenue after you're married.

The whole process is incredibly straight forward.
    We had a great time and can only recommend doing it.

Thank you so much for your reply, it just confirms that it's what we want as a couple, now just to get a babysitter for a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jfs-21

@no88y did you get hitched in the end? My partner and I are considering doing the same when we can travel to vagas and wondering how simple it actually was? Anything needed to be done in Ireland prior to boarding the flight? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tuttifrutti103

We are just back from our own vegas wedding. Incredibly easy. Went to the Marriage license bureau in old town vegas a couple of days before the ceremony. They give you your marriage licence and the officiant signs it on the actual ceremony day. You can order your official signed licence online a few days later. Fully recognised in Ireland when you are back. Getting married in vegas is so worth it! So much fun and no stress on the day.

That sounds like the ticket!!!! Good Craic.. Mrs Mc Carthy & myself 'bit the bullet' in Gretna Green for the princely sum of £150 ( which included a 2 course lunch for two witnesses & ourselves in the local pub afterwards 🤣). Like you say.....zero stress...... I've walked 2 daughters down the aisle in the last decade.....v v stressful. Anyhow, congrats........did the King do " love me tender??????

• Advertisement
Advertisement