Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chicwithstix

Does anyone know of any woodworkers who blogs about their craft?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are gazillions if you type 'Woodworking blogs' into Google.
    Is there a particular area that you are interested in?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not so much a blog but more of a photo story of what I do you can see one in the link below "My crackerbox build"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

And a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I'm a woodworker if you need advice. I build all sorts of things and can supply any amount of information on the subject. I also have a website www.richardkillianwoodwork.com if you care to have a look but the website is only new....
    Cheers

Rich

• Advertisement

richiek67 wrote: »
    I'm a woodworker if you need advice. I build all sorts of things and can supply any amount of information on the subject. I also have a website www.richardkillianwoodwork.com if you care to have a look but the website is only new....
    Cheers

Rich
    Some nice work there.
    I would be interested to hear a bit about how you made this lamp
    http://richardkillianwoodwork.com/gallery/
    (Picture 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Hi,
    can anyone tell me were i could source small ammounts of walnut and cherry?
    Cheers ;)

How much do you need. I have a good bit of Walnut and some cherry. Whats it for?
    FYI, strahan timber in newcastle do it, or abbey woods in Baldoyle or Morgans timber in Alexander quay

I do quite a bit of woodworking in my sapre time, my website, www.richardkillianwoodwork.com
    still needs a bit of work, working on it though...!

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Hi,
    Cheers ;)

Sorry for the long delay here in getting back to you.

Picture 8, yeah, I did that recently and I have to say I think its quite nice, if I say so myself...lol

Its made from Maple veneer which I sourced from a guy who used to work in Abbey woods. Its in Baldoyle.
    Its basically strips of Veneer cut to size with an inner and out circumference, if you look at the lamp. The section that supports it is just basically 4 solid pieces coming up with the same diameters to match each circumference.
    My email is richiek67@vodafone.ie if you need any more info.

Cheers

Rich

slowburner wrote: »
    Some nice work there.
    I would be interested to hear a bit about how you made this lamp
    http://richardkillianwoodwork.com/gallery/
    (Picture 8)

www.finewoodworking.com, which I'm a member off has a limitless supply of information on woodwork. The magazine is great too. Out every 2 months FYI.

• Advertisement

How much do you need. I have a good bit of Walnut and some cherry. Whats it for?
    FYI, strahan timber in newcastle do it, or abbey woods in Baldoyle or Morgans timber in Alexander quay

I do quite a bit of woodworking in my sapre time, my website, www.richardkillianwoodwork.com
    still needs a bit of work, working on it though...!

Hi,
    Cheers ;)

Hi Rich,
    Im looking to make jewelry boxes. So i am after solid 1"(approx) about 12" long. 5 lengths will then be laminated together to create a solid 12"x5" piece.
    I am interested in sourcing 1" PAO , i can cut the length to the approx size myself.
    Were are you located?
    Thanks

Hi Rich,
    nice job on your work at your website ;) wd. Must say i have a similar passion when it comes to working with timber. :)
    what was the approx price to get your website up?

Hi There,

Well to get the domain name and the hosting part of it was about 130euro. I bought a word-press theme for about $40. Quite powerful too for what I wanted.
    I could have gone through all the pa-lava of reading up on it, though I do know a bit about web site construction , I thought I'd just skip all the hassle and pay someone to do it. That was about 70euro, though in fairness it probably took him half an hour! Anyway, hope that helps.

What sort of woodwork are you into. Be nice to set up a yahoo group or something on one....:)
    I'll have to put some useful links I have for timer onto my site soon...

O, thanks for the comment by the way....;)

On the wood, sorry forgot to mention, you just want 12"??
    I have that, most o fthe widths of planks I have are 5-6inches....leme know,
    I',m in Celbridge, where you?

Hi There,

Well to get the domain name and the hosting part of it was about 130euro. I bought a word-press theme for about $40. Quite powerful too for what I wanted.
    I could have gone through all the pa-lava of reading up on it, though I do know a bit about web site construction , I thought I'd just skip all the hassle and pay someone to do it. That was about 70euro, though in fairness it probably took him half an hour! Anyway, hope that helps.

What sort of woodwork are you into. Be nice to set up a yahoo group or something on one....:)
    I'll have to put some useful links I have for timer onto my site soon...

Cheers for listing the cost of your website ;-)
    I like sheraton furniture, cabinet making. Simple furniture, clean lines.
    Was away from cabinet making for years now but still love it. I get the odd book now and then.
    Gonna get back into it gently. Starting off on a few small ideas i have.
    Would like to keep my sources local and try stay away from imported hardwoods.

5-6" width is spot on ;-)
    What lengths are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi all, I hope you can give me some guidance.
    I'm looking to get some shelves made up of my own design.
    I'm looking for a dark wood, something along the lines of walnut or a dark oak. The longest section is ~2.3m long and 0.5m wide and 4 to 5 cm deep.

We had a carpenter in to look, but he wasn't able to source anything other than pine which he would stain, but I'm opposed to pine as it's too soft and will show it's wear given that the shelves will be used for toys.

Where would I get a dark wood of suitable proportions in Dublin? I was thinking of reclaimed floor-boards, but the won't be thick enough. Any advise on what I should look for?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a dark wood, something along the lines of walnut or a dark oak. The longest section is ~2.3m long and 0.5m wide and 4 to 5 cm deep.

We had a carpenter in to look, but he wasn't able to source anything other than pine which he would stain, but I'm opposed to pine as it's too soft and will show it's wear given that the shelves will be used for toys.

Where would I get a dark wood of suitable proportions in Dublin? I was thinking of reclaimed floor-boards, but the won't be thick enough. Any advise on what I should look for?

I got in touch with KDHW and here are some price.
    I can generally supply Ash, Beech,Sycamore,Walnut,Cherry,Birch, Spanish Chestnut and Yew. All KD....small amount of Oak still air drying at the moment. ( Some Elm also currently air drying. Nominally sawn at 30 mm and 56 mm prior to kiln drying. Prices start at €36 per cuft for normal hardwoods with walnut / yew rising to € 55 /€65 depending on board quality and range of widths etc.

You could also try Abbeywoods in Baldoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi IrlMonk, Thanks for the guidance! I really appreciate that.
    56mm sounds like a good measure for what I want.

Where or who is KDHW as a Google search throws up nowt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Kdhw are Kiln dried hardwoods www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie
    Based near southern cross near greystones. Very very nice guys with really great timber. Very good prices and will do utmost to help and get what's needed or wanted. Will recommend stuff if you want either.
    I found it a bit weird ringing the mobile and found it a bit awkward that it was arranging a specific time to go down when it was literally just to see what he had. Put me off for weeks but so glad I went down. Very accommodating to the smallest of buyers. I think I gave him 15 quid for half a square meter of ash I think, can't remember really. But that's how small I was buying and it was no bother to him.

Edit: btw hit contact and ring Neil on his mobile. The other guy mainly deals with logs for burning.

alexlyons wrote: »
    Kdhw are Kiln dried hardwoods www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie
    Based near southern cross near greystones. Very very nice guys with really great timber. Very good prices and will do utmost to help and get what's needed or wanted. Will recommend stuff if you want either.
    I found it a bit weird ringing the mobile and found it a bit awkward that it was arranging a specific time to go down when it was literally just to see what he had. Put me off for weeks but so glad I went down. Very accommodating to the smallest of buyers. I think I gave him 15 quid for half a square meter of ash I think, can't remember really. But that's how small I was buying and it was no bother to him.

Edit: btw hit contact and ring Neil on his mobile. The other guy mainly deals with logs for burning.

Yea that sounds very decent and they seem on the ball and genuine.
    I emailed KDHW and he was one in a million for responding and gave me prices etc,.
    That's what its all about. Decent, genuine sellers that are a pleasure to deal with.
    I must pop out..... :)
    what way (size) was the planks of ash when you got 'em?
    and where they PAO and squared when you got 'em? ;)

Spot on ;) shows character...like it!
    how are you gonna make up the carcase?
    are you gonna use fillers etc ?
    have you thought about sanding fine curves into the shelves to make it unique.
    Think bout a good oil finish! Nice curves and a professional finish is what makes a piece unique.
    Walnut is a beautiful timber and sapwood in the grain is a bonus.
    Depends on your room overall, what wood would compliment the room!
    Walnut, Ash, Cherry, Oak.

Hi Ritchie,
    sorry i was a bit busy this week and busier next with the bro's wedding. Anyway i would love to pop out and have a gander of the timber. I will be only purchasing small amounts, say €30-€50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Yea that sounds very decent and they seem on the ball and genuine.
    I emailed KDHW and he was one in a million for responding and gave me prices etc,.
    That's what its all about. Decent, genuine sellers that are a pleasure to deal with.
    I must pop out..... :)
    what way (size) was the planks of ash when you got 'em?
    and where they PAO and squared when you got 'em? ;)

exact same got the ball rolling with me, replied to an email with a price, which nobody would do "until the saw or spoke" to me, which as I said seemed like wasting time because it was so small. Emails might take a bit longer to type than talk, but they can do it in there own time, so I always start with one. Great that he replies.

They're not PAO, and the minimum is about 1". He said he can thickness it if required but it seemed like it was a bit to much effort for him for and rarely done.
    He literally cuts treas up, have a look at the site and you'll see what I mean. That's exactly as you get them. They cut them, dry them and sell them, hence its good value.
    Also, when I got the first piece he didn't have the right change so I left it with him rather than him charging less and went back down a month later and he did a great deal on a piece of Yew (I remember its definitely yew!) because of that. It's all about being nice :)

This is what I made with it, the more I think about it, the more I've completely forgotten what it is.
    199647.JPG

Hi There,

I got some Veneer from a guy who used to work and do the veneer aspect of things in Abbey woods in baldoyle. Its up the road in the same estate. I went there to get Maple veneer, great deal too, check out my lamp I did from it on my website www.richardkillianwoodwork.com

Cheers

Rich;)
    stapeler wrote: »
    Hello
    I'm working on a project at present and I'm looking for sheets of Oak veneer which can be glued onto timber. Does anybody have any suppliers of this product.

Thanks

Hi There, sorry for not getting back to you. I diden't actually get any mail notification of your reply for some reason. Anyway, how much walnut did you want?
    If you send me an email directly would be great, richiek67@vodafone.ie

Cheers

Rich

Hi Ritchie,
    sorry i was a bit busy this week and busier next with the bro's wedding. Anyway i would love to pop out and have a gander of the timber. I will be only purchasing small amounts, say €30-€50

Hi There, I did something similar in my own home. I used 3 long walnut planks, each about 3M in length, 6 inches deep and 1 inch think. I staggered them and what I used to support them I painted the same colour as the wall. I can forward a picture if you like?
    Looks good I have to say and contrasts the maple floor I have in the kids room. Shelves are strong too being solid walnut!! They packed with books and toys now. Great to get the stuff off the floor...!:rolleyes:
    Rich, www.richardkillianfurniture.com

Have a look at some things I made.

By the way, try mount tallent avenue in Rathgar area for wood supplies, woodworkers supplies they are called.
    Strahan timber in newcastle off the N7 also do walnut and a planing service too....

Hi IrlMonk, Thanks for the guidance! I really appreciate that.
    56mm sounds like a good measure for what I want.

Where or who is KDHW as a Google search throws up nowt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Would anyone know where i Could get a sheet of Mexican Pine wood? I have a bar the same as in this pic and Im looking to make a bar back for it to place glasses and bottles on. Ill put small ledges on it and attach it to the wall.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mexican-pine-home-bar-bangor-400/99156686

Advertisement