Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electricity connection fee

• 25-11-2020 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am due to move into a new apartment in Dublin tomorrow but have been informed that it has just been discovered that the electricity has been disconnected, needs to be reconnected (Delaying my move - unknown for how long) and I will have to pay a reconnection fee.

Surely I am under no obligation to pay this reconnection fee? I am already fuming at the incompetence of this not being realised before and the fact that I may well be delayed weeks. How was this not caught by this agency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am due to move into a new apartment in Dublin tomorrow but have been informed that it has just been discovered that the electricity has been disconnected, needs to be reconnected (Delaying my move - unknown for how long) and I will have to pay a reconnection fee.

Surely I am under no obligation to pay this reconnection fee? I am already fuming at the incompetence of this not being realised before and the fact that I may well be delayed weeks. How was this not caught by this agency?

That is very bad if it is still as it was when I came here four years ago, and the sooner this is set in motion the better.

Have the agency started the process? Depends on how long it has been disconnected and if a certain length of time will need an electrician.

They told me 12 weeks. Make sure the agency have instigated it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Surely I am under no obligation to pay this reconnection fee? I am already fuming at the incompetence of this not being realized before and the fact that I may well be delayed weeks. How was this not caught by this agency?

I assume its rented accommodation and not a house purchase
    The landlord is obliged by law to provide habitable accommodation
    He has to pay the reconnection fee

From the RTB website
    A property that is in good condition – this means that it must be structurally sound, have hot and cold water, and adequate heating. The electricity and gas supply must be in good repair and all appliances must be working

Full page here

https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/rights-and-responsibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Sorry all, rented accommodation!

Unfortunately I had today to move in so only have until the end of the week until I have to be out of my current place. I will need them to accommodate me and allow me to put my stuff into the apartment at least, considering this is their mess.

Sorry all, rented accommodation!

Unfortunately I had today to move in so only have until the end of the week until I have to be out of my current place. I will need them to accommodate me and allow me to put my stuff into the apartment at least, considering this is their mess.

I would check and see if you are a week without electricity I would ask the AGENCY about reducing the rent for that month
    landlord/agency should have had electricity on before letting the apartment as they were legally obliged to do

OP you need to pin the agent down re the time frame etc? I was told 12 weeks . It was longer due to some council mess up but that was what ESB said for a normal reconnection. NB I was renting too

I knew in advance it might be a long job and I was desperate for a roof and made provision.

Hoping this time frame has changed?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP you need to pin the agent down re the time frame etc? I was told 12 weeks . It was longer due to some council mess up but that was what ESB said for a normal reconnection. NB I was renting too

I knew in advance it might be a long job and I was desperate for a roof and made provision.

Hoping this time frame has changed?

Just off the phone with the agent. They said Electric Ireland will be out tomorrow to turn it on, although "no specific time was given".

Have scheduled a move in on Friday morning now. Come hell or high water, I am moving into that place on Friday :P

Thanks for the advice!

Just off the phone with the agent. They said Electric Ireland will be out tomorrow to turn it on, although "no specific time was given".

Have scheduled a move in on Friday morning now. Come hell or high water, I am moving into that place on Friday :P

Thanks for the advice!

Great! It was not disconnected then, just switched off! Sweet relief! Although you are urban and I am deep rural.

And no way should you be paying.

And good for you! Enjoy the move...

Great! It was not disconnected then, just switched off! Sweet relief! Although you are urban and I am deep rural.

And no way should you be paying.

And good for you! Enjoy the move...

I think Electric Ireland consider it the same thing, or rather, they use the same full. It's just not a 'full' disconnect.

I presume it is just the main service fuse beside the meter that was removed. I could put that back in :rolleyes:

I think Electric Ireland consider it the same thing, or rather, they use the same full. It's just not a 'full' disconnect.

I presume it is just the main service fuse beside the meter that was removed. I could put that back in :rolleyes:

lol..
    The council man in charge of it here just kept forgetting. Finally I called ESB and was told reconnection had not been ordered and so then it would take 12 weeks...

We beat the queue thanks to a friendly barrister as by then it was winter and I am elderly and disabled and he threatened to sue them as we cannot be cut off in those months

Out here ( offshore island but the engineers were headed next to a house on the mainland) it had been disconnected ie at and from the actual pole at the back of the property, for five years. So that meant an electrician check of the entire house.

Then two engineers out and shinning up the pole to reconnect the supply. etc.
    But they were not allowed to switch on at the house... it had to be the electrician again..dratted red tape and demarcation disputes..

another two weeks.

Total was five months... lol.. Apart from no internet I quite enjoyed it actually. Had brought a camping cooker and then bought a gas cooker;... solid fuel stove..

But you see why I reacted at the words re "connection," ! I would hate to think of anyone else in that chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There are two types of reconnection

1. Electricity that has been disconnected for less than two years

2. Electricity that has been disconnected for more than two years.

#1 can be reconnected within a couple of days.

#2 has to go through a safety process and can take a couple of months.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    There are two types of reconnection

1. Electricity that has been disconnected for less than two years

2. Electricity that has been disconnected for more than two years.

#1 can be reconnected within a couple of days.

#2 has to go through a safety process and can take a couple of months.

It was twelve weeks when it was needed out here. They were apparently so busy. And the cost was E87 which the council paid of course . And the electrician was theirs too

All sorted now as expected, but there is a new problem.

In fact, its a great problem to have. The meter that is there is a day/night. Thing is, its never switching to the day at all. The timer on the side has the rough right time.

Also, when I turn off the main fuse, it appears the meter is going backwards very very slowly.

All sorted now as expected, but there is a new problem.

In fact, to be its a great problem to have. The meter that is there is a day/night. Thing is, its never switching to the day at all. The timer on the side has the rough right time.

Also, when I turn off the main fuse, it appears the meter is going backwards very very slowly.

Interesting!

Interesting!

I would inform the landlord /agent by text/ email so you have proof and ask them to have it checked
    Meter should never ever go backwards unless it’s faulty or been tampered with
    Also it should automatically switch to day rate
    You could end up with a very big estimated bill

brisan wrote: »
    I would inform the landlord /agent by text/ email so you have proof and ask them to have it checked

You think ESB would bloody check the thing when they reconnected and charged 80 euro for the pleasure :mad:

You think ESB would bloody check the thing when they reconnected and charged 80 euro for the pleasure :mad:

Possibly a contractor with a list of jobs for the day

brisan wrote: »

I came back on to say just that. ESB etc take no prisoners.

Advertisement