Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I skimmed on plywood?

• 24-11-2020 8:55pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

just a small indoor section that was sectioned off with Marine ply. Will skim stick?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

why not slab it first

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

don't have the extra half inch to play with

take off the plly and put on slab

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

where it is needs to be a bit stronger than slab alone. Hence the ply.

ply is great behind a slab. i often do it in a bathroom or kitchen

i wouldnt reconmend skimming it . i think it will falll off. but if i was going to i would thistle bond it first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d look at putting a layer of wallpaper lining on n it. Then it could be painted and wouldn’t be cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its not ideal to skim ply. It may last a good while but will eventually fall off or crack if it takes a knock.

If you must skim it and cant put anything else on top then pva the ply, nail on some wire mesh (https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/plastering-wire-mesh-18400400662.html) and then skim.

Alternatively, remove the ply and replace with plasterboard.

Its not ideal to skim ply. It may last a good while but will eventually fall off or crack if it takes a knock.

If you must skim it and cant put anything else on top then pva the ply, nail on some wire mesh (https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/plastering-wire-mesh-18400400662.html) and then skim.

Alternatively, remove the ply and replace with plasterboard.

Take some layer of skim to cover expaned metal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

4 mm tile backer board screwed to the ply then skim
    If your really tight for space id chance the thistle bond then skim.
    Other wise loads of paint

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you were to just prime and paint with something like an eggshell paint to disguise the grain a bit, would it look that much different?

I've only ever seen it painted gloss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Woodie.ie

No you cant skim over ply and wire mesh will rust through. The proper way is to attach 10mm plasterboard then light skim or just paint the board. If you are really stuck then coat with pva bond and stick wide adhesive scrim cloth to the ply before skimming. Not ideal but it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why couldn't you skim plywood?
    Sticking won't be an issue, plywood is rough enough to allow a bond, if worried about that I would thistlebond it first.

Only potential issue I see is if the plywood is too thin it might sag and drop off the skim, but if its 12mm then it should be fine, at least as strong as plasterboard.

Alternatively, take off the ply, fit whatever backing you need between the studs and then board over as normal.
    What construction is the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Yes you can skim over marine ply as long as you are using the correct skim. FBall 1200pro would be recommended, you should be able to pick up at most decent flooring stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭10-10-20

PVA nothing.
    SBR everything.
    https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/503-Premium-SBR-Bond-V1.1.pdf

PVA is soluble in water and will allow delamination of the plaster if exposed to moisture.
    SBR is a water-resistant latex based primer and bonder and is the preferred option when dealing with non-ideal substrates. It will reduce the initial water-loss to the wood allowing the plaster to flow and set, preventing shrinkage away from the plywood.

Advertisement