Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭rrs

Navan hasn't floodlighting so that would rule it out. There is not many alternatives. Mullingar, Clones no lighting either. Unless they were to bring it to Tullamore or Newry. Or Breffni ��

The Cavan players themselves would probably like to test themselves in Croke Park. It's best surface in country, obviously Dublin are use to it but that's Leinster Councils fault

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It's actually not up to the Cavan players to make the call. At least pretend you know what you're talking about when you start a thread.

I'd be inclined to give the poster the benefit of doubt.

He/she was likely stating that if it was ruled that the game could be played at a neutral venue then and only it would the Cavan players decision as to where they'd have a preference to play the semi final.

Be that Croke Park or a neutral venue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭billyhead

In all honesty Cavan aren't going to beat Dublin irrespective of where it's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Akabusi wrote: »
    Just play it in Croke Park, saying that as a Cavan man.

The analogy here for me would be a Dundalk or Bohs player in Europe, saying yeah its a pity about the result but hey I got Ibra's jersey so I'm happy out.

Croke Park suits Dublin's play. Its more like an astro pitch than grass. They will cut Cavan open with ease in Croke Park. It could be a worse beating than Meath got.

The only chance Cavan has to make a game of this is a mudfest in a regional ground.

So your choice - do you want a 'day out' (and lets not forget, it will be an empty stadium) or do you want to give yourself the best possible chance of making a game of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Why not play it outside of Croke Park. As long as both sides are happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

but isn't gaelic football the only sport in the world where home advantage is irrelevant? that's the narrative out there from a certain side...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

gourcuff wrote: »
    but isn't gaelic football the only sport in the world where home advantage is irrelevant? that's the narrative out there from a certain side...

Sure Croke Park isn’t home for one team
    It just hosts all their home and neutral games, crowds or not

But remember it’s not a home ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Sure Croke Park isn’t home for one team
    It just hosts all their home and neutral games, crowds or not

But remember it’s not a home ground.

Other teams can rent it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

dobman88 wrote: »
    Jesus this is a sad thread.

Systematic of the current attitude in the most part, towards the football championship.

The excuse has always been it has to be Croke park for the ‘attendance’.

That’s no longer a problem, Dubs should win anyway, take it too a proper neutral venue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

"Neutral venues suitable to both Cavan and Dublin are few and far between. Páirc Tailteann in Navan no longer has floodlights which rules it out for an evening throw-in."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/take-the-dubs-out-of-croker-cavan-boss-graham-wants-neutral-venue-for-semi-final-39783206.html

How or why did they get rid of the floodlights in Navan?

Pretty much means it's Croker, not much alternative stadiums that suits both teams.

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Systematic of the current attitude in the most part, towards the football championship.

The excuse has always been it has to be Croke park for the ‘attendance’.

That’s no longer a problem, Dubs should win anyway, take it too a proper neutral venue

Other Leinster teams can opt to play Dublin at their home ground when the draw is made.
    However THEY refuse to, hence the reason Dublin haven't played outside Croke Park since 2006.
    Royal Celt and others on these forums should put the same effort into criticising their own County Boards and seek answers as to the reason why.

Dublin GAA and their fans have no problem hitting the road in Feb, March and April for league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Other Leinster teams can opt to play Dublin at their home ground when the draw is made.
    However THEY refuse to, hence the reason Dublin haven't played outside Croke Park since 2006.
    Royal Celt and others on these forums should put the same effort into criticising their own County Boards and seek answers as to the reason why.

Dublin GAA and their fans have no problem hitting the road in Feb, March and April for league games.

Gate receipts is the primary reason, its not to play in Croker.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Gate receipts is the primary reason, its not to play in Croker.

So is that Dublin's fault?
    It's so daft, complaining about Dublin playing all their games in CP and then saying that ye want the games held in CP so that ye can get the share of the gate receipts that the Dubs bring to CP.

At least you answered the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The analogy here for me would be a Dundalk or Bohs player in Europe, saying yeah its a pity about the result but hey I got Ibra's jersey so I'm happy out.

Croke Park suits Dublin's play. Its more like an astro pitch than grass. They will cut Cavan open with ease in Croke Park. It could be a worse beating than Meath got.

The only chance Cavan has to make a game of this is a mudfest in a regional ground.

So your choice - do you want a 'day out' (and lets not forget, it will be an empty stadium) or do you want to give yourself the best possible chance of making a game of it.

Going on the evidence of last weekend Cavan are a far better team than Meath. Armaghs pitch held up very well on sunday, in no way was it a mudfest. No doubt Dublin will in all likelyhood win the game well but I think your comparison with Meath is both lazy and ill informed

It's so daft, complaining about Dublin playing all their games in CP and then saying that ye want the games held in CP so that ye can get the share of the gate receipts that the Dubs bring to CP.

It is possible for it not to be Dublin's fault and at the same time be very advantageous situation for Dublin

willabur wrote: »
    It is possible for it not to be Dublin's fault and at the same time be very advantageous situation for Dublin

It still in the others counties remit to resolve it.

It still in the others counties remit to resolve it.

given the costs involved it probably isn't - you are essentially saying let them ('other counties') eat cake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is that really true that county boards are giving up home advantage to play Dublin in Croke Park in the Leinster championship ? It might be for Kildare as they don't have capacity. What does that say about fairness? Smaller teams are having to sacrifice home advantage just for a bag of money to pay the bills? The GAA shouldn't be like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Does Navan have Hawkeye? or any other stadiums other than Croke Park?

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is that really true that county boards are giving up home advantage to play Dublin in Croke Park in the Leinster championship ? It might be for Kildare as they don't have capacity. What does that say about fairness? Smaller teams are having to sacrifice home advantage just for a bag of money to pay the bills? The GAA shouldn't be like this.

That's the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

willabur wrote: »
    Going on the evidence of last weekend Cavan are a far better team than Meath. Armaghs pitch held up very well on sunday, in no way was it a mudfest. No doubt Dublin will in all likelyhood win the game well but I think your comparison with Meath is both lazy and ill informed

The pitch Cavan played on was much slower than Croke Park. Mudfest is an exaggeration obviously.

If you think its insulting Cavan to compare them with Meath? Thats a bit rich.

If Cavan played Meath tomorrow, I would back Meath to win.

Lazy & Ill Informed? Please inform me.....really do.....why Cavan all of a sudden are better than a team that was in Division 1 in the League this year, that beat Wicklow by 29 points, that beat Kildare comfortably, and that has been to three Leinster finals in a row.

I'd love to know......

Or maybe lets ignore all that an just go "on the evidence of last weekend".....

Don't think the new Pairc UI Chaoimh even has it. Am open to correction. Thurles perhaps?

Is what Dublins fault?

That would be daft, but I don't know anyone who does so.

Only complaint I'm aware of is for this year's semi with no gate receipts. There's s no logical reason for any other county to prefer to play in Croker that I can see. Hawkeye perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

recyclebin wrote: »

What home advantage is there now that no crowds are allowed?

Also, Dublins home is Parnell Park

Hoboo wrote: »
    Is what Dublins fault?

That would be daft, but I don't know anyone who does so.

Only complaint I'm aware of is for this year's semi with no gate receipts. There's s no logical reason for any other county to prefer to play in Croker that I can see.

No floodlights, no Hawkeye for starters.

Allinall wrote: »
    What home advantage is there now that no crowds are allowed?

Also, Dublins home is Parnell Park

So they say, yet they didn't play a league game there for 10 years.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No Hawkeye in Navan, but it doesn’t work in the dark anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The pitch Cavan played on was much slower than Croke Park. Mudfest is an exaggeration obviously.

If you think its insulting Cavan to compare them with Meath? Thats a bit rich.

If Cavan played Meath tomorrow, I would back Meath to win.

Lazy & Ill Informed? Please inform me.....really do.....why Cavan all of a sudden are better than a team that was in Division 1 in the League this year, that beat Wicklow by 29 points, that beat Kildare comfortably, and that has been to three Leinster finals in a row.

I'd love to know......

Or maybe lets ignore all that an just go "on the evidence of last weekend".....

On what basis? Cavan have played Meath quite a lot over the last decade as they have been in the same division a good bit.

Cavan beat Meath in 2013, lost in 2015, beat them in 2016 and beat them in 2018 in the League. The 2016 win was by seven points in Navan. The 2018 win by five.

They also recently played them in a fairly full blooded challenge ahead of the championship starting and beat them in that too.

Also, have a look at the GAA ratings on this page. We're above Meath. We also at least won a game each time we were in Division 1! Something Meath couldn't do this year.

I could keep going as I watch both counties regularly as the missus is a Royal!

You seem to be ignoring all the evidence until this year's League campaign. Its not really indicative to rate a team based on their League performance when the manager has come to Cavan and openly stated his main aim is to win Championship and not League games. He has said he's from a time where League was League and Championship was Championship and its clear which is more important - which is why he ran out 8 debutants in our penultimate League game away to Kildare. The plan was to have young players ready for the championship in case they were needed due to the hectic schedule.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

copacetic wrote: »
    No Hawkeye in Navan, but it doesn’t work in the dark anyway...

It worked fine last weekend for Dublin v Meath in the dark :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Games in November/December can only be played on floodlit pitches... as it gets dark by 4:40pm on a good day at this time of year.

• Advertisement

It worked fine last weekend for Dublin v Meath in the dark :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Games in November/December can only be played on floodlit pitches... as it gets dark by 4:40pm on a good day at this time of year.

CP has floodlights

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement