Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Trips in Ireland

• 20-11-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All - Apologies if there's another thread along the same lines as this one. I had a quick look and couldn't see one, but feel free to merge if there is.

A group of us (6/8 lads) are looking to head somewhere in Ireland for 3/4 days and play some links courses.

I know last year Rosses Point/Enniscrone/Strandhill had an offer to play all three for €180

Are there any other deals like that worth looking into? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Check out the courses in Donegal. You'll get gui rates similar to the sligo costs if you ring the courses and ask. And keep an eye out for opens.

I played narin and portnoo, portsalon and cruit island this summer. I'd highly recommend all three, but I'd say if you spoke to someone else they could equally highly recommend another three.

Just to note, cruit island is a nine hole and even for Donegal a bit out of the way. It cost us €20 and was a perfect last day for us when we were a bit tired and emotional. Course itself is very nice. But the views blew the other two courses out of the water. They're beyond incredible. For me that course should be high up on any Irish golfers bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Value for money you won't beat the Northwest. Possibly get even better deals if you can get open competition days to work out for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Hi All - Apologies if there's another thread along the same lines as this one. I had a quick look and couldn't see one, but feel free to merge if there is.

A group of us (6/8 lads) are looking to head somewhere in Ireland for 3/4 days and play some links courses.

I know last year Rosses Point/Enniscrone/Strandhill had an offer to play all three for €180

Are there any other deals like that worth looking into? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?
    Masters weekend next year heading down to play tralee, dooks, Waterville and ballybunion.
    Gui rates of 100, 80 and 120 for first three. Still negotiating the 4th ðŸ™ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Carne and enniscrone. Unbelievable both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

willabur wrote: »
    Masters weekend next year heading down to play tralee, dooks, Waterville and ballybunion.
    Gui rates of 100, 80 and 120 for first three. Still negotiating the 4th ðŸ™ðŸ™

That sounds like a savage trip. Played Dooks last year in the summer series. Monster of a course in the wind. Loved every minute.

• Advertisement

bailey99 wrote: »
    Carne and enniscrone. Unbelievable both of them

two amazing courses - carne is the most fun I have had on a golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

That sounds like a savage trip. Played Dooks last year in the summer series. Monster of a course in the wind. Loved every minute.

What’s this summer series? Is it a high level amateur event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

willabur wrote: »
    two amazing courses - carne is the most fun I have had on a golf course

Speaking to the converted. I'm a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

What’s this summer series? Is it a high level amateur event?

Not exactly. About every 4th Friday during the summer, Dooks hold an open day. 4 of us travelled down twice this summer to play.

You play in 4's and it's only €50 pp and is open to men and ladies. 5 qualify from each Friday for a Grand Final in October. (We didn't make the cut.....:( )

This was the promo Tweet for this year......

https://twitter.com/dooksgolfclub/status/1271088826841214978?s=03

Yep - exactly what Southern Comfort said above. It's a really fun event. I'm a mid-high handicapper so there's no way I can qualify myself as an elite amateur!

It was a huge success this year, so hopefully, they run it again in 2021.

Going to keep an eye out on Black Friday and see if some courses do special green fees offer. Unlikely, but who knows!

• Advertisement

Just booked in for 3 courses in October

Ballyliffin
    Royal Portrush
    Portstewart

€300 for the 3 of them. It's ages away, but looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

That's a great deal. Which Portrush course is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Happy Gilmore 2020

Ballyliffin
    Royal Portrush
    Portstewart

Hi, how did you book it at that price. Did you have to pay by credit card in full? Sounds great but don't want to have to pay the full whack now.

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Hi, how did you book it at that price. Did you have to pay by credit card in full? Sounds great but don't want to have to pay the full whack now.

Cheers in advance

Why don't you want to pay in full now? This will sell out fairly quickly and I think by getting the fee in full then the clubs are covered in the event of someone pulling out at a later stage. Which is fair enough to be honest.

Why don't you want to pay in full now? This will sell out fairly quickly and I think by getting the fee in full then the clubs are covered in the event of someone pulling out at a later stage. Which is fair enough to be honest.

Cheers, did you book it over the phone?

Cheers in advance

We paid the full amount up front. I'm not even sure that's negotiable to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Cheers, did you book it over the phone?

I did

for the bookings I made some of the courses were happy to take a deposit now and settlement 1 month before the round. Some other courses look for full payment up front

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Ballyliffin
    Royal Portrush
    Portstewart

CorkBoyInDub, thank you sooooooo much for the heads up on the Great North Links Challenge.

I sent a cheque to Donegal on Wednesday and we got confirmation today (Friday) that we we're in and tee times confirmed.

You da man! :cool:

• Advertisement

I phoned Ballyliffen GC yesterday. Only had 8.40am tee times left so a bit too early for us. It's a great deal so not surprised it's virtually booked up already....

Advertisement