Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I block up vents with expaning foam?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cletus wrote: »
    I was looking at something like the link above, but the outside vent for my sitting room is one of those steel ones, and it's set into the stone work around the front of the house. Is there some sort of internal baffle system that works? I'd like to reduce both sound and breeze

Leave the steel grill in place. The one which i've linked to above, should fit within the space of a single cavity block. It comes with an outer vent cover, but you don't have to use it.

You can slide these into place from the inside, so don't remove the grill. Always put a light angle down to the outside so any water will run out. Your steel grill is probably about 8" wide, so you'll need to pack around this to stop wind/air traveling around it. You could probably pack in some sand and cement/concrete around it if you have room. I've also put rigid insulation to fill in the gap too, but maybe cover it in tin foil to stop it getting wet. Most builders skips will have a small amount of rigid foam insulation (foil backed stuff). You can also use a hand full of attic insulation on the room side to seal it in place.

You could even get an off cut of plywood and make up an adapter with a hole in the middle of it to accept the core vent and fill in the reset of the space around the steel grill. Then some expanding foam or what ever you like.

listermint wrote: »
    Like Twitter should this site start tagging posts with warning messages when they have no basis in factual evidence.

Things like 'i know a few people' and 'no one needs'

Its like sitting beside the lad in the pub going on about Fiats and Renaults.

Depressing stuff all the same.

Dam the experts. Sure why do they bother their arse putting these things on plans in the first place when KKV on boards says they arent needed.

Right, sure who needs real-world experience when we can just read a fact-sheet.

OP can sit in his cold house afraid that blocking a vent will kill his family, but anyone who posts otherwise is a moron from the pub. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,533 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Right, sure who needs real-world experience when we can just read a fact-sheet.

OP can sit in his cold house afraid that blocking a vent will kill his family, but anyone who posts otherwise is a moron from the pub. :)

How are you still going.

Does it hurt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How are you still going.

Does it hurt ?

Is he not a Trump supporter?
    Anti-Vaxxer
    Flat earth supporter...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is he not a Trump supporter?
    Anti-Vaxxer
    Flat earth supporter...

Probably most people that open threads the way he did and dispute years of engineering and architecture over thoughts and prayers tend to lean towards the science of trump.

I thought you were writing to CIF Ireland to let them know how to save even more money. Owners can simply open their windows..jobs a goodun.

• Advertisement

Probably most people that open threads the way he did and dispute years of engineering and architecture over thoughts and prayers tend to lean towards the science of trump.

I thought you were writing to CIF Ireland to let them know how to save even more money. Owners can simply open their windows..jobs a goodun.

No no, It's me you called the Trump supporter not the op.
    I never said I was writing to the CIF, you told me to but I chose to ignore it as I don't think you're playing with a full deck.
    Any chance of a link to one of these fantastic controllable vents you claim exist outside the drawing office? I'd love to see one.

How are you still going.

Does it hurt ?

I've never been better. No holes in my walls either. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Lumen wrote: »
    You're risking lung cancer from smoke inhalation.

There's a good chance there's a chimney to go along with the stove so I'd say he's grand.

I've one vent in my house, been closed since I bought the place and painted over. Nothing but a heat sink really.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RonaVirus wrote: »
    There's a good chance there's a chimney to go along with the stove so I'd say he's grand.
    There's no way you can know that without knowing at least the output of the stove and the air tightness of the building. The height of the chimney stack is also relevant.

I can't believe that anyone who understands how stoves work would recommend running one in an unvented room.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry to hijack this but seeing as this is a popular issue - can I install these shutter dampers (they do indicate they're more for extractor fans however) to prevent draughts? I have a solid fuel stove in my sitting room but the air vent is directly in line with our couch, so you can actually feel the draft coming in on top of us on the couch.

I opened the vent and, apart from it being looking like someone literally punched a hole in the wall, it's essentially a 100mm PVC pipe going from outside vent to inside vent.

So thoughts on reducing draught somehow? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this but seeing as this is a popular issue - can I install these shutter dampers (they do indicate they're more for extractor fans however) to prevent draughts? I have a solid fuel stove in my sitting room but the air vent is directly in line with our couch, so you can actually feel the draft coming in on top of us on the couch.

I opened the vent and, apart from it being looking like someone literally punched a hole in the wall, it's essentially a 100mm PVC pipe going from outside vent to inside vent.

So thoughts on reducing draught somehow? Thanks!

No you are meant to have an open fixed vent with no sliders or obstructions on it for rooms with a stove installed.

My advice would be in phoning up the original installer and see what they say. The answer will coincide with actual advice and not the dangerous information being proliferated in this thread which frankly should be tagged.

Lives have quite literally been lost in this country messing around with ventilation where there's open fires and or gas fires.

My relating a poster to trump supporter that I made earlier in this thread is because they tend to flood the space with waffle , nonsense and lies based on perceptions and not facts. They do this to push out other voices so that people will get frustrated and leave. It's a calling card.

It shouldn't be allowed on the forum when we are dealing with peoples lungs and noxious gases.

I've one vent in my house, been closed since I bought the place and painted over. Nothing but a heat sink really.

This poster goes through various threads throwing in one liners of contrasy advice they are especially fond of down playing the global pandemic amongst other subjects.

They should be ignored completely on any issue of importance that involves the safety of your and or your family.

Note their username .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No you are meant to have an open fixed vent with no sliders or obstructions on it for rooms with a stove installed.

My advice would be in phoning up the original installer and see what they say. The answer will coincide with actual advice and not the dangerous information being proliferated in this thread which frankly should be tagged.

Lives have quite literally been lost in this country messing around with ventilation where there's open fires and or gas fires.

My relating a poster to trump supporter that I made earlier in this thread is because they tend to flood the space with waffle , nonsense and lies based on perceptions and not facts. They do this to push out other voices so that people will get frustrated and leave. It's a calling card.

It shouldn't be allowed on the forum when we are dealing with peoples lungs and noxious gases.

No disputing the noxious gas element of your post.

Are you actually reading what people are posting? I'm the one you called a Trump supporter, if you read what I posted you'll see I don't have any solid fuel appliances in my house. I never advised anyone with a stove to block the room vent, I think that would be foolhardy in the extreme. I've never heard of anyone being overcome by a water filled radiator yet which is what I have. Any sign of a link to one of those drawing board vents?

This poster goes through various threads throwing in one liners of contrasy advice they are especially fond of down playing the global pandemic amongst other subjects.

They should be ignored completely on any issue of importance that involves the safety of your and or your family.

Note their username .

That is so childish.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That is so childish.

No whats irresponsible is telling people they can block up a vent in a room they have a fire in. This is off the back of that poster being genuinely just out for the jollys . Read the post history.

Theres plenty of people on this forum here that provide years of personal and or industry experience to people with DIY queries. Then there is people like yourself if give anecdotes and push down real advice.

I would love to see you sign some of this advice you give into a contract with any of the homeowners out there and see how long it lasts.

Meanwhile other posters are telling people legitimately to follow guidelines and rules and regulations are there for a reason. Im in no doubt you wouldnt put your name to paper on your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Quote;

Theres plenty of people on this forum here that provide years of personal and or industry experience to people with DIY queries.

They are unlikely to engage in a thread like this.

Quote;

Theres plenty of people on this forum here that provide years of personal and or industry experience to people with DIY queries.

They are unlikely to engage in a thread like this.

Its post like this that make people leave the forum altogether. Amongst a string of other awful advice. Enjoy the playground then.

No whats irresponsible is telling people they can block up a vent in a room they have a fire in. This is off the back of that poster being genuinely just out for the jollys . Read the post history.

Theres plenty of people on this forum here that provide years of personal and or industry experience to people with DIY queries. Then there is people like yourself if give anecdotes and push down real advice.

I would love to see you sign some of this advice you give into a contract with any of the homeowners out there and see how long it lasts.

Meanwhile other posters are telling people legitimately to follow guidelines and rules and regulations are there for a reason. Im in no doubt you wouldnt put your name to paper on your own advice.

I never told anyone to do anything, people aren't sheep. I said that I had blocked vents in my home, the same home that has an outside boiler and NO solid fuel appliances, as a consequence the house is much warmer. I'm not repeating myself forever to you. Any sign of those controllable vents?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Its post like this that make people leave the forum altogether. Amongst a string of other awful advice. Enjoy the playground then.
    Apologies ListerMint,
    my comment was not aimed specifically at you,
    more at how a genuine question becomes a battle of keyboard warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

People are gone soft from going vegetarian and sitting on office chairs all day and eating Jamie Oliver vegan food.
    Leave the vents and man up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Lumen wrote: »
    I can't believe that anyone who understands how stoves work would recommend running one in an unvented room.

Every house I've been in has a stove and no vent in the same room, or any room.

Unless you live in a passive house I wouldn't be worrying about vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

We have a stove installed in sitting room without any ventalaltion, and also cavity insulation on top of that. I was unaware of the risks associated with no vents as most households I've been in albeit not new builds have no vents in sitting room. Is this a costly exercise to install a vent in an old house (approx 60 years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

kevin306 wrote: »
    We have a stove installed in sitting room without any ventalaltion, and also cavity insulation on top of that. I was unaware of the risks associated with no vents as most households I've been in albeit not new builds have no vents in sitting room. Is this a costly exercise to install a vent in an old house (approx 60 years)?

No, should be about 100e for someone to core the hole for you, then add the cost of whatever vent you chose. Maybe more expensive if this is an upstairs room

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Alkers wrote: »
    No, should be about 100e for someone to core the hole for you, then add the cost of whatever vent you chose. Maybe more expensive if this is an upstairs room

Great thanks, and is sitting room enough? Should each room in the house be ventilated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

kevin306 wrote: »
    Great thanks, and is sitting room enough? Should each room in the house be ventilated?

Definitely a vent in any room that has a source of combustion (gas cooker, stove, fire etc.). If its an old house its probably venting more than you wish in most rooms anyway unless you really sealed it.

If you have an SDS drill you can get the wall bits in Lidl for less than 20 euro and reduce the installation cost by a bit of DIY. If not would be easier to get someone to come do the job, should be quite quick and straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Unless you live in a passive house I wouldn't be worrying about vents.

passive houses generally do not have hole in the wall vents as they are designed to have a mechanical heat recovery ventilation system installed to comply with the ventilation requirements set out in the building regulations

Advertisement