Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best oil for Teak outdoors

• 18-11-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I am going to clean up a bit of teak with sander, hopefully get it back to natural colour. What's the best treatment once its cleaned up. Its a sunny spot so plenty of UV .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

rje66 wrote: »
    I am going to clean up a bit of teak with sander, hopefully get it back to natural colour. What's the best treatment once its cleaned up. Its a sunny spot so plenty of UV .

Be careful to use fine sanding paper. I've solid teak windows and door frames on an extension I did about 12 years ago. Externally I generally rub down with light sand paper and then rub in Teak Oil. On areas we're there has been excessive exposure (my windows full floor to ceiling), I then apply teak wood stain after allowing oil be absorbed. Ronseal is the brand I use. I might mention that it's not an ideal time for such a job unless internal. If internal, generally a light sand and Teak Oil will suffice. You could apply teak wood stain if there's a lot of discolouration but also use a very fine brush and the tinyest amount required.

My windows and Doors look as they did when installed and I generally treat every 3 years.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't sand it use Netrol on it https://www.owatrol.ie/product/net-trol/ .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You should use Star Brite teak oil. It is engineered in such a way that it will protect the wooden surfaces from outside threats while maintaining its surface at the same time. It comes with advanced polymers that will seal those outside threats such as seawater, rain, and UV rays from affecting the surface. It also comes with UV inhibitors that will assist the wood in the prevention of fading and weathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Juliet799 wrote: »
    You should use Star Brite teak oil. It is engineered in such a way that it will protect the wooden surfaces from outside threats while maintaining its surface at the same time. It comes with advanced polymers that will seal those outside threats such as seawater, rain, and UV rays from affecting the surface. It also comes with UV inhibitors that will assist the wood in the prevention of fading and weathering.

I suspect the OP has this sorted by now but also on from your link Owatrol Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil gets a good recommendation.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

I suspect the OP has this sorted by now but also on from your link Owatrol Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil gets a good recommendation.

"I wish he would " says his wife!
    Actually I got a tin of this Owatrol, just need to get it done. It's the timber on the water feature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement