Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just had a milestone event and the wife has promised to get me a nice day to day watch to mark it. Decent budget, 1500 or so (i might be willing to put a bit in myself if i really like one outside her budget). I think that budget is a bit in no man's land in terms of the better known "luxury" brand.....unless you go low end quartz Tags, you're probably talking Longines as the main runner in that range. But I'm good with that, they've lovely pieces.

I think I know what I'm looking for. I'm covered for sporty as i have a couple of aquaracers so i'm looking for smart/casual rather than the chunky bezel sporty watches.

My question is, would it be worth considering importing one from the states, e.g. Jomashop (who i used before when i was working abroad and had no customs charges) rather from going local and hoping for a decent discount? I'd rather go local obviously but if there's a couple of hundred euros to be saved after taxes then it's tempting....alternatively, are there any good UK jewelers worth considering? I don't think i'd deviate from local if we were talking modest savings (less than 100 maybe).....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks....

I bought a brand new Tag Carrera cal 5 41mm from Chrono24 last year, brand new, box warranty etc from a dealer in Monaco (Monaco Luxury Watch I think) was around €800 less than in Fields, they have a huge stock and definitley value to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Potato_farl

This might be up your street, if you don't mind going second hand.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/longines/heritage-classic-l28284730-l28284730--id13320094.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

46 Long wrote: »
    I think it's a bit over budget, but if you can swing a few hundred more the Longines Spirit takes some serious beating.

That's lovely! Right up my street in terms of what i'm looking for.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on the Longines Spirit. I've been impressed by that watch from them. Of late their output seems to be between their own modern designs, quartz ladies watches* and replicas of their historical "icons", but that's new and inspired by but doesn't copy vintage pieces. Case finishing looks good too. Something Longines usually don't do so well on compared to say Omega.

Compared to the other Swiss brands Longines are quite the old fashioned watch brand in many ways. They have a very wide range of tastes and prices, from "cheap" basic quartz dress watches for men and women through more expensive high end quartz to more expensive again column wheel chronographs to their own movement specifications. It's as if they don't have a modern marketing dept that streamlines things which is quaint and kinda cute.

They also have old fashioned prices too. Unlike say Omega, Zenith, or Rolex where the prices have at least tripled and usually more than prices were for the same models 40/50 years ago. If you ever wanted to know what your grandfather or grandmother was paying for a "luxury watch" back in the day from all brands, Longines' current pricelist would be very close to it. That alone for me would put them in the good value bracket.

*I can see why as unusually for "expensive Swiss brands" in the Asian market 50% of Longines' sales are to women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement