Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incus Nova/Cloud

• 03-11-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this

https://www.incusperformance.com/

I've been able to try it out for swimming and the feedback is very interesting.
    Working on things like the obvious, rotation and propulsion, and the not so obvious like pitch have improved my times a lot.
    I'm not quick to begin with so have loads of scope for improvement but seeing the numbers change is all pretty cool.

Running metrics have launched yesterday - waiting for a review on that - and promises to take some of the data we currently have access to like power, propulsion, left/right balance, vertical oscillation etc but convert it into meaningful data so you can work on improvements.

Some coaches have called this a Garmin killer as the data it collects should convert into stuff you can work on.

It ain't cheap but could be worth a look if it delivers and isn't just another data collector

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iam a bit confused you say you have tried it and then say it could be useful if its not only a data collector ...
    so are your writing just a sales pitch or did you really use it in a meaningful way ?
    would be great to see what did you think you gained from it after you have used it
    show us some data and show us how it helped you to make some gains.
    i watched the video spiel and that was not great at the same time there is certainly some features that could be valuable

what is the accuracy of the device could not find that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Ha, not a sales pitch at all otherwise I've tanked their prospects.
    The swim coach I'm working with has put it on me a couple of times and the measurements have shown my pitch as very head up/legs down initially then with some work, much flatter.
    My rotation on my right side was more than my left. Some work on that and it showed increasing rotation on my left increased propulsion on both sides.
    I don't have access to this data, like I say, I really just had a brief go of it.

The question is more to do with anyone that may have used it regularly or is looking at this type of data on a regular basis.
    Is it useful? Are there real gains to be made or is this another expensive gimmick?

Where the device is placed (between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck) may work for swimming but they have released measurements for running. Not sure how that will work. Cycling measurements are due next year

My feeling is they have launched this too soon and need to accumulate some real data and proof it works.
    Crunching the data into a simple format is great but what do you do with it after that?

ok i understand thanks

so as a self coaching tool , pitch can be useful. for a coach that is one of the easiest things to see. but for instance for an improving swimmer if there was a signal if pitch becomes to unbalanced i would thing thats useful.
    same with rotation but if it can meassure acceleration in a meaningful way
    than there i would see a meaningful way if the device can tell you how your acceleration during different phases of the stroke compares to others .
    kind of a power profile.
    so what you say about hipprotation leading to more propulsion is useful.
    did you try the same with shoulder rotation?

in my mind it makes perfectly sense that they started with the swimming first as i would see it working best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

There is some talk on the website of haptic feedback. I wonder if it means like you suggest, a buzz when you don't rotate enough/too far or your pitch begins to drop below an acceptable level.
    From my limited usage, it does vibrate when you turn it on and off so it should be possible.

My measurements were just for general rotation. It may be recording hip vs shoulder but I didn't see that. The app/dashboard is being updated daily. I downloaded the app to see if you can see any kind of stats but you need to link your device to it first.

This is the closest I've found to an in-depth review. They say they'll review the run measurements when they've had some time with it.
    https://titaniumgeek.com/incus-nova-coming-to-revolutionise-your-swimming-performance/

They may also be a beta tester so might not be impartial either

i am not the shaprpest pencil in the drawer but i do not think it could distinquish between hipp and shoulder rotation but this is where your brain would come into it to see propulsion differences between hipp and shoulder rotation.
    in order to distinquish you would need 2 devices one at shoulder one at hipp and then it would need to be syncronised.

which is also kind of intersting how does the device know wether your hips just drop or your hips and legs togheter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

It looks interesting, and its a perfect gadget for the Tri market. Made me wonder if a Garmin worn down your swim trunks would be more useful than on the wrist.

Suppose it'd be useful if remote coached, otherwise you still can't beat good eyes on the bank.

Advertisement