Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Break80 wrote: »
    Joined a new club last year.
    8k Hello money over 2 years plus subs.
    Just paid the balance today so it looks looks like beans on toast in my house for a while.
    When we get back I might change my address to the golf course because I will be living there for the summer.

did you join Fota Break? no offence to your old club but some step up (is a step up to nearly all clubs) & alot closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

did you join Fota Break? no offence to your old club but some step up (is a step up to nearly all clubs) & alot closer to home

yes Thats the one.
    Always fancied it and took the plunge last year.
    I hope to be walking down the 18th in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

What's the rate for fota these days? I brought a society down there twice a year every year for years but the price rockets three or four years back and we haven't gone back since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’ve played their Paddy’s Day Open a few times, course does be in great nick, can’t remember the exact cost but is a good deal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Break80 wrote: »
    yes Thats the one.
    Always fancied it and took the plunge last year.
    I hope to be walking down the 18th in 20 years time.

Jaysus I hope we are back playing sooner than 20 years time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

GreeBo wrote: »
    Jaysus I hope we are back playing sooner than 20 years time! :)

I don't know.
    Listening to Tony he might let us out around then.

Paid my sub today, hoping we are back in some form around Paddys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Paid my sub today, hoping we are back in some form around Paddys :(

Likewise. Paid up last Friday. Lucky to be able to in these times.

Likewise. Paid up last Friday. Lucky to be able to in these times.

Yeah true!
    Interestingly we have one of the longest waiting lists for new members that we have had in years, time to bring the entry fee back up!
    I suspect many locals who typically played in courses outside the 5k are now looking closer to home. (there would be lots of locals in Carton or Wicklow etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

My sub is due March 9th. Hope we are playing by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

My club have been quite fair so far. The renewal date for subs has been extended from 1st January to 1st March and won't expire until 28th Feb next year. That's as good as I can expect. Just hope there aren't any further delays. I don't know how much longer they can go without asking for payment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Out of my group of friends I don’t know anyone not renewing this year and one friend actually rejoined after leaving two years ago.

I know renewals are 20% up already on other years and the deadline isn’t till the end of February.

We also have a waitlist for the first time in about 15 years and nearby clubs brought back entrance fees this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

You'll have a few things that clubs will balance off against each other with regard to their prices. If the demand for membership is up they'll think about getting more revenue in from it. Possibly from getting rid of incentive offers, reintroducing an entrance fee or just increasing their membership. In particular members clubs will not want to raise membership if they can avoid it. And they'll want to reward members for sticking with them. And if they can they'd like to compensate members for months they could not play.

They'll also look at keeping members long term, so they'll want to keep them happy. And they can expect members to drift off when things open back up, so they should factor in a drop off in member numbers too.

Then you'll have clubs who will need to look at cashflow to keep going, or building up reserves again. So they might look at capitalising on the increased demand while they can. Then they'll have to look at what other clubs are doing too.

And that's just looking at membership. Green fees could be the biggest source of income for some clubs.

I'd say we will see some volatility in prices over the next couple of years. Lots of variables at play. In the same club you could see them raise some of their prices and cut others.

And the world has changed too. People will move clubs much more freely than they did previously. Either looking for value or even just a change of scenery.

blue note wrote: »
    And the world has changed too. People will move clubs much more freely than they did previously. Either looking for value or even just a change of scenery.

I think thats been the case for a decade now, basically since the celtic tiger stubbed his toe. Once joining fees disappeared the nomadic member was born.

I think it's wider than golf too. Back in the day you'd be in the one golf club, one bank, one job. You might stick with the one garage up change your car each time, one travel agent for your holidays.

Now, people shop around for the best deal in everything. It would be strange if golf didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

blue note wrote: »
    I think it's wider than golf too. Back in the day you'd be in the one golf club, one bank, one job. You might stick with the one garage up change your car each time, one travel agent for your holidays.

Now, people shop around for the best deal in everything. It would be strange if golf didn't change.

Even the one woman!

Even the one woman!

Lots of things have changed, but the hours in the day haven't. I already have lists of jobs to do from having one wife. If someone wants to have two relationships going, they have my sympathies!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Just made my 36th and final joining fee monthly payment. Pot committed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yeah true!
    Interestingly we have one of the longest waiting lists for new members that we have had in years, time to bring the entry fee back up!
    I suspect many locals who typically played in courses outside the 5k are now looking closer to home. (there would be lots of locals in Carton or Wicklow etc)

They did increase it, you obviously weren't on the AGM :P

Luckycharm wrote: »
    They did increase it, you obviously weren't on the AGM :P

Probably nearly up to half what we paid! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Probably nearly up to half what we paid! :rolleyes:

Considering you came through the Junior ranks like me thankfully wasn't full whack. Now €15k

Considering you came through the Junior ranks like me thankfully wasn't full whack. Now €15k

Thats a 2K bump right? Not massively significant, considering what the neighbours charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

My club have been quite fair so far. The renewal date for subs has been extended from 1st January to 1st March and won't expire until 28th Feb next year. That's as good as I can expect. Just hope there aren't any further delays. I don't know how much longer they can go without asking for payment

That’s very fair

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What kind of discount did you get by coming though the junior ranks?
    I think I paid 2k joining fee when I graduated and had a year as an associate before becoming a full member. I think the regular joining fee back then may have been in excess of €15k, so it was a big discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Is there a bit of back clapping going on here?

Seve OB wrote: »
    What kind of discount did you get by coming though the junior ranks?
    I think I paid 2k joining fee when I graduated and had a year as an associate before becoming a full member. I think the regular joining fee back then may have been in excess of €15k, so it was a big discount.

I think I paid 3 times the subs while the joining fee was 10 times the subs. I became a full member at 26 basically once you started working they were looking for you to become a full member, Now you stay as an intermediate till your early 30s. They had a huge problem of very few Juniors going on to be become full members, I remember something like only 2 juniors became full members over 2 years.

I was lucky though as my dad paid my years sub when I went to OZ, I hadn't even thought about it as I only really played a little bit in the summer as played rugby all year. Very glad he did now since I retired and would have really have regretted leaving but as you know yourself it isn't one your priorities when young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

What club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I just coughed up for another year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Paid my full sub in full in December. We got a few months free last year but not sure what gonna happen this year but I won't be looking for anything back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Need to be paid in full by end of March, paying it over a few installments to get it paid before then.

Advertisement