Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's great for you but ours and others are just money grabbing c**ts with little or no morals

Please don’t use that type of language again. It’s not a free for all around here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'll definitely be paying. I'll pay early if needs be. I don't just see it as paying to play, members are temporary guardians of the club to hand it on in hopefully better shape than they received it. It's a privilege for me, I never thought I'd get into the club I'm in, I love the place, I've a ton of friends there. It's our club. If we want it there in 5 years, and hopefully many more, it's up to us to keep our club alive.

That's the way I see it anyhow. I'm sure many just see their club as a place to play, which is fine, each to their own.

I think that's a great attitude. I'd be similar. Some people say "when you break it down, you're paying x amount for each round". What a ****ty way to look at life. It'd be different obviously if my financial situation worsened significantly but as long as I can afford it, I'll join as long as I can play the game. Some things in life are about more than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not all clubs are member owned. There are lots of different structures. People should bare this in mind when been all high and mighty

If I was in a members club and decisions were been made by us (the members) then my attitude would be completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not all clubs are member owned. There are lots of different structures. People should bare this in mind when been all high and mighty

If I was in a members club and decisions were been made by us (the members) then my attitude would be completely different

This plus 1 million.

It is all well and good to have that great team spirit we're all in it together attitude in a members club. No-one should be derided for not wanting to fork over thousands for a service they will not get to use to max value.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think that's a great attitude. I'd be similar. Some people say "when you break it down, you're paying x amount for each round". What a ****ty way to look at life. It'd be different obviously if my financial situation worsened significantly but as long as I can afford it, I'll join as long as I can play the game. Some things in life are about more than money.

Its why there are lots of 100+ year golf clubs and very few 10+ year gyms :)

• Advertisement

This is such a ridiculous post I'm sorry. You can not call that a s****ty attitude just because it doesn't apply to you.

Why can't people work out how much each round will cost and base a decision on that?

If I opened a club that provides bananas and had a fee of €2,000 for the year giving you access to unlimited bananas would you join? You can still buy bananas in other clubs and pay per banana but if you come and get the bananas in our club you can build a good bond with other likeminded banana enthusiasts and be part of the Eoghan104 Banana club community. Don't worry that you might only eat 10 bananas a year. Also, we might not open on days there is frost or rain and if we are told to close due to Covid then no bananas regardless if you want them or not. Seems like a sweet deal correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Yes I will be renewing,
    There will come a time that I wont be able to play and wish I could, so Im going staying at it while I can
    Will be dead long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

eoghan104 wrote: »
    This is such a ridiculous post I'm sorry. You can not call that a s****ty attitude just because it doesn't apply to you.

Why can't people work out how much each round will cost and base a decision on that?

If I opened a club that provides bananas and had a fee of €2,000 for the year giving you access to unlimited bananas would you join? You can still buy bananas in other clubs and pay per banana but if you come and get the bananas in our club you can build a good bond with other likeminded banana enthusiasts and be part of the Eoghan104 Banana club community. Don't worry that you might only eat 10 bananas a year. Also, we might not open on days there is frost or rain and if we are told to close due to Covid then no bananas regardless if you want them or not. Seems like a sweet deal correct?

Thats Bananas

Maybe its just the type of club(s) you are in, but I don't treat my relationship with my club the same way I treat my relationship with virgin-media. I'm not constantly shopping around trying to get "better value for money" because you cant put a price on being in a club where you know pretty much everyone and have done since you were young, where your name is up on the wall and where you can drop in at anytime of the day and there will be someone there looking for a chipping competition, or a frame of snooker or just to shoot the breeze on the deck looking over the course.

Put it this way, would you move to a different family if you thought you could get a better deal?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe its just the type of club(s) you are in, but I don't treat my relationship with my club the same way I treat my relationship with virgin-media. I'm not constantly shopping around trying to get "better value for money" because you cant put a price on being in a club where you know pretty much everyone and have done since you were young, where your name is up on the wall and where you can drop in at anytime of the day and there will be someone there looking for a chipping competition, or a frame of snooker or just to shoot the breeze on the deck looking over the course.

Put it this way, would you move to a different family if you thought you could get a better deal?

I agree with all of those points and I was a member of a club for years since I was 10, was junior captain there, on committees and all the rest until I was 30. I loved it there and my family are still members so I am often back. I moved away though and now I am a member of a club run by a company for profit. I owe them nothing, same way they owe me nothing.

The blanket statement saying its a "Sh***ty" attitude to look at how much each game will cost you is what is ridiculous. Golf club memberships are not what they were 20 years ago and are much more transient. People can work out the value of golf any way they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

If you are a lifetime member and have spare cash, who cares you wouldn't leave over it and you're club needs you. If like many you have a family, are starting a family or have had Covid destroy your business or job, or are newish to the game, yeah paying that fee for uncertainty is not exactly a difficult choice. You could take the kids down the country and play a few rounds a few times in the year instead and still have change. People are saying it's not the GUI's fault but this is what's at stake, not six weeks of not playing. You have to do everything you can and well l just don't believe they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I agree with all of those points and I was a member of a club for years since I was 10, was junior captain there, on committees and all the rest until I was 30. I loved it there and my family are still members so I am often back. I moved away though and now I am a member of a club run by a company for profit. I owe them nothing, same way they owe me nothing.

The blanket statement saying its a "Sh***ty" attitude to look at how much each game will cost you is what is ridiculous. Golf club memberships are not what they were 20 years ago and are much more transient. People can work out the value of golf any way they like.

I find older people are happy enough just staying in the same club and will pay the fee year after year, it wouldn't even cross their mind that there may be a better deal available whereas younger people are more likely to shop around for the best deal and everything gets the cost - benefit analysis.

Secondly people who live in the same place they grew up, have been members years and rejoin every year as all their friends are there and they know everyone in the club. Whereas people like me who live in a different county to where I grew up. I've no affiliation or loyalty to any club and will vote with my feet and shop around for the best deal available.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so a question to all the people who are happy to pay into their members clubs whether or not they can play or financially justify the expense.
    if you had a season ticket to a big football team, lived local, and it was your life, week in week out, heading down to the ground, meeting your pals enjoying the buzz etc..... remember that season ticket goes towards paying the wages of all the groundstaff, the caterers, the match day officials, stewards etc.
    do you think you just still pay up now that you can't go to the games?

Fair enough. In my view, it's a sh!tty way to look at a golf membership if you can afford it.

I pay my fees at the start of the year. I don't worry about how much each round costs after that because I can comfortably afford the membership, enjoy being a member of the club, play a fair bit and I think it would drive me a bit mad if I looked at a golf membership in that way. To me, it seems a bit "knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing" type of attitude. But each to their own - it's just an opinion.

Seve OB wrote: »
    so a question to all the people who are happy to pay into their members clubs whether or not they can play or financially justify the expense.
    if you had a season ticket to a big football team, lived local, and it was your life, week in week out, heading down to the ground, meeting your pals enjoying the buzz etc..... remember that season ticket goes towards paying the wages of all the groundstaff, the caterers, the match day officials, stewards etc.

Paying an LOI season ticket for years and rarely get to the games because of kids and living in another part of the country and have a membership I've just renewed with an English Premier League club so yeah I would.

The pleasure I get from following the teams, even from afar, is worth it. Particularly in this environment where there is f**k all else to do.

I don't drink much, don't smoke so sport is sort of my thing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'll definitely be paying. I'll pay early if needs be. I don't just see it as paying to play, members are temporary guardians of the club to hand it on in hopefully better shape than they received it. It's a privilege for me, I never thought I'd get into the club I'm in, I love the place, I've a ton of friends there. It's our club. If we want it there in 5 years, and hopefully many more, it's up to us to keep our club alive.

That's the way I see it anyhow. I'm sure many just see their club as a place to play, which is fine, each to their own.

Exactly the way I see my club. Fair play.

have a membership I've just renewed with an English Premier League club so yeah I would.

ah now a €50 membership hardly equates to a couple of grand on the season ticket

ah now a €50 membership hardly equates to a couple of grand on the season ticket

No it doesn’t. It is more than that by the way and I pay it for my young fella as well.

If I had a season ticket, I’d keep it as I do for my LOI club. Clubs will make allowances for games you can’t go to as well. It’s a bit different to golf because we’ll get to play even with the virus albeit it’ll be restricted at times. Hard to see how football goes back to fans attending games while the virus is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭bmc58

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I'm asking if anyone is considering not rejoining their club next year if the current situation continues as it is. Lockdown, out of lock down, no interclubs the way we are used to We didn't have a Captain's Prize and no majors . I might go P&P somewhere just to keep my handicap active. Interested in your views.
    What's P&P? Pitch and Put? How would joining or playing P&P keep your GUI H/C active?If I'm reading your post incorrectly please feel free to correct me.

bmc58 wrote: »
    What's P&P? Pitch and Put? How would joining or playing P&P keep your GUI H/C active?If I'm reading your post incorrectly please feel free to correct me.

pay and play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭bmc58

pay and play

Thanks Seve OB.But still how would paying Green Fees keep your H/C active?I don't think it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

bmc58 wrote: »

P&P.. Pay and Play

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

pay and play

Plenty of clubs offer P&P so you pay a token Membership fee eg 150 per year get registered with GUI then pay green fee & Comp fee and play in open comps either in club you affiliated to and other opens at other courses. It's actually a great way if you are starting out not to fork out over a thousand + to then maybe find out its not for you

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am thinking of moving clubs,havent gotten out much this year in my own club (Faithlegg) due to variety of reasons work being main one,I work a few miles from Mount Juliet can be there in less than ten mins after work would definitely get out more just deciding in my head if I can justify doubling price of yearly sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Yes.

For me by not paying it runs the risk of clubs ceasing to exist.

Clubs whether Golf,Athletics,Rugby or GAA are all integural parts of our community. Its not about the benefit I will get this year from my sub. Its about the benefit my children and their children will get from the fact the club still exists when I am pushing up grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

50/50 at best. The lockdown is a contributory factor and not getting the benefit of my sub. There’s also the fact that our inter club was a complete disaster with lads picking there buddies and dropping down grades. The course maintenance leaves a lot to be desired also our green keeping team seem to be allergic to work. And allied to all that off the course work is on a cliff edge and I’ve a baby due in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

As someone with two kids....nearly 3 and nearly 4 months

I would say continuing to play would be a good idea

You need an escape

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You need an escape

Yep. I love them and they're great and all. But that few hours out of the house is amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

You need an escape

Agree I have almost 5 and 7 and that break is essential and hard to have unless it’s booked in and membership helps here...

• Advertisement

Secondly people who live in the same place they grew up, have been members years and rejoin every year as all their friends are there and they know everyone in the club. Whereas people like me who live in a different county to where I grew up. I've no affiliation or loyalty to any club and will vote with my feet and shop around for the best deal available.

If you keep voting with your feet you will never get to the point you make in your first sentence, your kids won't either.

Advertisement