Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Jenosul wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Hope everyone survived FE1 season. Hope exams went well. If not I am sorry to hear, just know there is no shame in resisting as that is the nature of these exams unfortunately as they are ruthlessly tough.

Anyone interested in forming a study group in Cork let me know. Or it would be great if people in other parts of the country wanted to do the same,

It would be a great idea if people were interested. I find going over topics with other people better for grasping and learning. Also moral support.

I am thinking of doing Constitution, Equity and Company if anyone is interested. ;)

Well done to everyone who sat the exams.

I am interested I will be doing constitutional and eu next March
    Pm

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Hey guys,

Hope everyone survived FE1 season. Hope exams went well. If not I am sorry to hear, just know there is no shame in resisting as that is the nature of these exams unfortunately as they are ruthlessly tough.

Anyone interested in forming a study group in Cork let me know. Or it would be great if people in other parts of the country wanted to do the same,

It would be a great idea if people were interested. I find going over topics with other people better for grasping and learning. Also moral support.

I am thinking of doing Constitution, Equity and Company if anyone is interested. ;)

Great idea.

Would be interested in forming a Dublin study group too, if anyone's interested!

Would be interested in doing Equity, Tort and probably EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Wondering can anyone recommend good books for EU ? I have never completed any Eu module in college so it’s very new to me for the next sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Hey guys,

Great idea. I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Breacnua wrote: »
    Wondering can anyone recommend good books for EU ? I have never completed any Eu module in college so it’s very new to me for the next sitting

EU Law: Text, Cases, and Materials - Grainne de Burca and Paul Craig
    Eu Law in Ireland
    And there's another one that's good, can't find it for some reason.

They're all better or worse in some areas; and since they're relatively cheap, as law books go, it's worth having the 3

• Advertisement

JohnsKite wrote: »
    EU Law: Text, Cases, and Materials - Grainne de Burca and Paul Craig
    Eu Law in Ireland
    And there's another one that's good, can't find it for some reason.

They're all better or worse in some areas; and since they're relatively cheap, as law books go, it's worth having the 3

Really appreciate that
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonnyHanlon

Howzit going everyone, anyone know when d results of the Fe1 exams are out so I can celebrate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

Howzit going everyone, anyone know when d results of the Fe1 exams are out so I can celebrate? :)

Think I seen they were out the 30th of November a few years ago, if that's the case it's balls

Hi, I've completed 3 FE1s. Felt I definitely passed tort and criminal. Felt I did OK with company too, however having thought about it, it could be dodgy.I answered 2 questions well, 2 questions moderately and the last one poor. Has anyone ever sat the exam before and maybe got marks where they thought didn't deserve them or has anyone any general views about that particular examiner?

felt I got alot of caselaw down however for one question I didn't have time to talk about the cases so I just listed them out. Would I still get marks for this?
    This was the Veil of incorporation question

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

13545327 wrote: »
    Hi, I've completed 3 FE1s. Felt I definitely passed tort and criminal. Felt I did OK with company too, however having thought about it, it could be dodgy.I answered 2 questions well, 2 questions moderately and the last one poor. Has anyone ever sat the exam before and maybe got marks where they thought didn't deserve them or has anyone any general views about that particular examiner?

felt I got alot of caselaw down however for one question I didn't have time to talk about the cases so I just listed them out. Would I still get marks for this?
    This was the Veil of incorporation question

I was told that they do not want you to talk about facts of the cases. Eg in Donoghue v Stevenson blah blah blah are the facts. I was of the mind it drives them insane. Unless you say in case x it was decided and in case y it differed etc.

I reckon you did fine once you answered them. You may just have the fear now! I nearly passed last time around I was short 4 marks and only answered 4 questions and didn’t really know my fifth and tried to bluff it. It sounds like you did know what you are talking about, knew the actual answer but did not go into depth about case facts which they say not to do anyway. You are meant to answer like you are a solicitor, kinda different from college in that you just keep to the point and not write everything you know.

• Advertisement

I was told that they do not want you to talk about facts of the cases. Eg in Donoghue v Stevenson blah blah blah are the facts. I was of the mind it drives them insane. Unless you say in case x it was decided and in case y it differed etc.

I reckon you did fine once you answered them. You may just have the fear now! I nearly passed last time around I was short 4 marks and only answered 4 questions and didn’t really know my fifth and tried to bluff it. It sounds like you did know what you are talking about, knew the actual answer but did not go into depth about case facts which they say not to do anyway. You are meant to answer like you are a solicitor, kinda different from college in that you just keep to the point and not write everything you know.

Yea thanks. I guess it's up to the God's at this stage ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonnyHanlon

13545327 wrote: »
    Think I seen they were out the 30th of November a few years ago, if that's the case it's balls

Heres hoping d results go well and I can enjoy Christmas with a few guilt free flaggans of the good stuff!

Heres hoping d results go well and I can enjoy Christmas with a few guilt free flaggans of the good stuff!

Now you're talking Jonny boy ;)

I think both are right too. I personally answered on creditors employees and shareholders but threw in a page on fiduciary for good measure. In 2016 he asked this question (now it was worded differently) but he said it was only on employees creditors and shareholders and anyone who answered on common law fiduciary exclusively did not get the marks. The fact he used the work exclusively and the fact the wording of this was more ambiguous than the 2016 (autumn I think)
    suggests to me he would have taken both, or one. Also the fact so many answered it differently suggests me might realize himself was poorly worded

October 15 it was, just checked there. Wording is very similar. Wrote alot about common law duties, stuck in the Perceival case and a few lines on duties owed to shareholders. Can't imagine he'll take common law duties judging by that examiners report.

Put in bits about reckless and fraudulent trading for good measure, don't really know where I was going with that. As a man said to me before "throw enough **** at the wall and something will stick" my sole worst question, hoping the other four will drag me over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maxi937

Does anyone know when The Law Society opens back up for application for the Spring sitting? is it after the October 2019 results come out. Is it the norm to start studying this far out?

Am I okay to use 2019 manuals for the 2020 exams?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Anyone has any tips for studying company law? Or any up to date notes? Mine date pre 2014 from college and seem to be out of date with the new act.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Can anyone remember what the dates in March were roughly? is it the first 2 weeks of the month? Have a wedding on Paddys wknd which may be ruined depending on how the exams fall. Are they ususally in the same order, i.e Tort, Company, Property etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Can anyone remember what the dates in March were roughly? is it the first 2 weeks of the month? Have a wedding on Paddys wknd which may be ruined depending on how the exams fall. Are they ususally in the same order, i.e Tort, Company, Property etc...

I think with the bank holiday falling on the Tuesday the exams will be the first two weeks. I’m in exactly the same boat, praying for the first two weeks!

Louis Litt wrote: »

It really depends, Exams fell slap bang in middle of paddy’s day last year coz I had a wedding too. There were a few exams , break over paddy’s day and then the rest. Rotation of subjects does change so hold tight till timetable is out. I know it’s not what you want to hear.

Maxi937 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when The Law Society opens back up for application for the Spring sitting? is it after the October 2019 results come out. Is it the norm to start studying this far out?

Am I okay to use 2019 manuals for the 2020 exams?

Any help appreciated.

It’s about 5 months from now so some will soon start and others won’t start for ages yet. It depends what subjects you’re doing and how long you need to get through the material. It’s never to early to start. Apply after results are out. 2019 manuals should be grand but just check new case law online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

I know it’s super early and I don’t wanna jinx it but has anyone ever passed after a contract re-check? The paper totally caught me off guard I.e. was a disaster and I wanna have it in my head that I will either get it rechecked or not before the results come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭vid36

I have heard about people passing contract after a recheck, do it, you never know.

lisac223 wrote: »
    I know it’s super early and I don’t wanna jinx it but has anyone ever passed after a contract re-check? The paper totally caught me off guard I.e. was a disaster and I wanna have it in my head that I will either get it rechecked or not before the results come out.

Honestly if it was a roadcrash and you got less than 48 I wouldn’t recheck it and focus on getting it in March

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr. JD

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on subject combinations to get the magic three?

I was thinking criminal property and constitutional..?

If anyone has any advice re good subjects to get the best chances of passing the 3 I would really really appreciate any info.

Mr. JD wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on subject combinations to get the magic three?

I was thinking criminal property and constitutional..?

If anyone has any advice re good subjects to get the best chances of passing the 3 I would really really appreciate any info.

I would sit Criminal, Contract, Equity and property on the first go.

Constitutional , EU and Tort even are just too broad when you have four subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DRMC

Hi,

I am travelling home from Sydney to do a few of the exams, and with having to book flights - i called Law Society and they told me the dates will not be published for the March 2020 sitting until 29/11/19 - which is highly inconvenient for planning.
    :)

The exams are usually the first two weeks of March.

Breacnua wrote: »
    Honestly if it was a roadcrash and you got less than 48 I wouldn’t recheck it and focus on getting it in March

I was brought up from 43 to 50 in company previously.It saved me a lot of study. If you can afford the recheck, go for it, you have nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I'm currently doing traineeship applications. I have done a post graduate degree in law but alot of the applications look for for undergrad details and only short summary of post grad. I didn't do my undergrad in law, should I just put down details of my post grad in that section as it is most relevant?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement