Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

washiskin wrote: »
    The Clifton House Mystery

The Phoenix &The Carpet

Scary!

Saw Clifton House Mystery again with my kids. They loved it.
    The Phoenix & The Carpet is sadly BBC so no DVD yet. They're slow to get their finger out. Gary Russell (Dick in the Famous Five) is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I used to love 'Switched', which was about American kids swapping families for a period to experience other peoples lives. It was always super interesting and very heartwarming.

I'd buy the boxset if it could be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Saphire and Steele, UTV 5ish pm in the early 80s. Scary and brilliant.

https://youtu.be/_gjHmEUiaxo

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was that Sky in the company’s very early days?

Or was it the Super Channel with Captain Power?

Monkey was on BBC (BBC2 specifically iirc) around 1978/79.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Spent many a night watching crap on tv when everyone else went to bed.

Night Stand With Dick Dietrick - Spoof of Jerry Springer et al

Herman's Head - Like the numbskulls in The Beano and Inside Out (Pixar movie)

Dream On - Guy who imagined his daily interactions as parts from tv shows

Also, Round the Twist - Australian comedy with some strange goings on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Man in a suitcase

Randall & Hopkirk (deceased)

Cannon

The Prisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

rubadub wrote: »
    I would think plenty would remember it, and judging by your thanks plenty did

I very vaguely remember it but at this stage I might be just remembering remembering it. The video doesn't ring any bells so I must have be very young when I watched it. So young that I'm surprised I was watching something with hour long episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Manimal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugb_TIpPoWA

and the even lesser known GEMINI MAN.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWLDa5DnpQ

Also Land of the Giants and Time tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm trying to remember a children's programme, the intro showed a clock showing 13 o'clock. The intro song said "midnight is not a moment, midnight is a place". Very dark indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Showing my age, but I loved the original The Tomorrow People, I ate up anything sci fi as a kid (also another +1 for Children of The Stones, just hearing that creepy voice music again gave me the shivers!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoxFcPyZvE

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

The railway Children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

They made some seriously creepy kids TV programmes in the 70s and 80s.

The Nargun and the Stars (Aussie show) scared the bejesus out of me

as did Into the Labyrinth starring Ron Moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Zaph wrote: »
    Monkey was on BBC (BBC2 specifically iirc) around 1978/79.

I know it was a show fro the 70's but I saw it much later and it definitely wasn't on the BBC because there were ad breaks. I can remember that for other reasons

Speedsie wrote: »
    Pretty sure Monkey was on TV in the pre sky (or BSkyB!) days!

Think it was the late 70s early 80s.

Never had Super channel, but I remember Monkey when I was in primary school.

I saw it on a later run.

Sky started out as a lone channel I recall. I thought it was a rebranding of the super channel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

321 Contact, and How.

I was a sciencey kind of kid.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    321 Contact, and How.

I was a sciencey kind of kid.

Now that part of the song will be my head for yonks. :P

No one on the thread is doing very well in regards the "no now else remembers" bit. :)

bobbyss wrote: »
    Daktari Daktari Daktira !!!

I remember that one. Born Free type of show - American family running a wildlife reserve in Africa, they had a lion who was cross-eyed or something.

Gemini Man and Manimal have been mentioned. I loved those.

Around the same time David McCallum was doing The Invisible Man. His character was invisible and couldn't return to normal. He wore synthetic skin so he could be seen and used to pull off his arms and face when in danger or on a mission.

Mystery Island. The heroes are trapped on the island of villain plotting world conquest. The robot from Lost in Space was in it - but slightly modified. I think it was a part of Scratch Saturday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

This was kind of a program within a program but anyone remember a short cartoon called Egghead? I think he might have been part of Scratch Saturday, the whole premise of it was he was bald, and that's about all I can remember although I'm sure there was more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,875 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Manimal... that reminds me of show from similar era The Misfits of Science.

I think neither show lasted long after bring starts.
    Probably so expensive would have been better to do occasional once off TV movies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Roobarb & Custard

Possibly the best theme tune of any kids' TV programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Around the same time David McCallum was doing The Invisible Man.

The Invisible Man is a good shout. I used to watch repeats of it in the 80s as a kid :cool:

around this time I also used to watch repeats of the short-lived series THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Absolutely loved this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwMyQ3_7P8

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

around this time I also used to watch repeats of the short-lived series THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Absolutely loved this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwMyQ3_7P8

Watched a little of one of these episodes on youtube recently. The only thing amazing is how bad it looks today and just how much our fertile little minds used to fill in the blanks for ourselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Bring em Back Alive

https://youtu.be/KzGc-w0Pqag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Penpal was some show where people would write in letters or something. But now maybe i think I'm confusing the name of it with some other thing. I think it was actually called Mailbag. The guy doing it was Arthur Murphy.

But I kinda think Penpal was a thing too. Maybe it was a slot on that show. Can anyone remember it better than me??

Also another one that I used really like when I small was Rimini Riddle. It used be on Saturday mornings. I loved it. It had weird foam puppets and it was these kids whose parents had died in a drowning accident and they went to live with their aunt Vera. There was these mystical things going on and then the aunt shacked up with this Mr Comiskey guy who was suave but was really just a player out to get his hands or her money.
    I thought it was great but some people say they were creeped out by the puppets. One person said before that the way they were made made them all look like they had fetal alcohol syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj83EfAuAos

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

The Ghosts of Motley Hall was a favourite of mine.

And Rentaghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Space 1999 was my number 1 favourite TV show as a Sci Fi loving kid, even more so than Star Trek OS.
    Especialy loved the Eagle ships.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Penpal was some show where people would write in letters or something. But now maybe i think I'm confusing the name of it with some other thing. I think it was actually called Mailbag. The guy doing it was Arthur Murphy.

But I kinda think Penpal was a thing too. Maybe it was a slot on that show. Can anyone remember it better than me??

Also another one that I used really like when I small was Rimini Riddle. It used be on Saturday mornings. I loved it. It had weird foam puppets and it was these kids whose parents had died in a drowning accident and they went to live with their aunt Vera. There was these mystical things going on and then the aunt shacked up with this Mr Comiskey guy who was suave but was really just a player out to get his hands or her money.
    I thought it was great but some people say they were creeped out by the puppets. One person said before that the way they were made made them all look like they had fetal alcohol syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj83EfAuAos

Mailbag was the show with Arthur Murphy all right, it was for people to write in about RTE programmes, mainly to complain. You always had some oul biddy giving out about too much flesh being shown on the cover of the RTE Guide. Think it ran from 83 or 84 to early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Taxedalot wrote: »
    And Rentaghost.
    Audrey (Sue Nicholls) from coronation street is still "yer one from rentaghost" in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Just as an aside, that's Nick Drake (Wikipedia)'s sister, Gabrielle Drake (Wikipedia).

I had, 'troubling thoughts', about her, as a kid, I'd have bought her sweets.. :)

Advertisement