Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ewan and Charley Ride again - Long Way up

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Who needs a 125 :D

100 times more adventure and a miniscule budget in comparison and what a cool little bike. :) Many more channels like it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/c90adventures/videos

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm only halfway through the first episode but I'm hooked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

First 2 or 3 episodes were good, then went a bit flat. Bit of a money making exercise, neither had been in contact with each other for years it appears. WTF was the bus about, for me it really killed the series, what a cop out. Too much filler. It put a smile on my face every time someone didn't recognise who McGregor was

They appear to have had some input into the clothing, if you have about €2.5k lying around you can buy yourself the jacket and pants they used in the series :pac:

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/belstaff-long-way-up-trousers-dark-sand.html

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/belstaff-long-way-up-jacket-dark-sand.html

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Anyone get the impression when they "repaired " the harley , they stripped it down for the cameras and then took another one out of a crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Anyone get the impression when they "repaired " the harley , they stripped it down for the cameras and then took another one out of a crate.

My missus said that. She was paying more attention to the show than me.

I found the whole thing very contrived. It was more of a guided tour than an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I finally (16 years later) started watching The Long Way Round.
    I found it pretty good telly, probably because it's the first and more "real".

But now I'm watching C90 adventures (from a recommendation here) and what a blast! That guy and his girlfriend knock the two lads into a cocked hat.
    Tenting in -35 and riding in -20. 😬

Don't know if I'll watch TLWD or TLWU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Handy doing these treks when your minted and backed up by big brand sponsorship. Definitely more enjoyable watching ordinary folks try their hand with limited budget and kits. But its something to watch anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

But now I'm watching C90 adventures (from a recommendation here) and what a blast! That guy and his girlfriend knock the two lads into a cocked hat.
    Tenting in -35 and riding in -20. ��

Yeh when himself was posing in the mirror with 2.5k worth of belstaff designer gear I reached for the zapper lol.
    C90 adventures are brill eh! I've started rationing them out now as I was binging. I could never do a journey like that, he/they are just so chill about everything lol, I think Id be sweating the details. Like when they said sure we'll go all the to the furthest easterly point, and they were on the West Coast...on c90's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Yeah, 4000 miles across the Rockies and the Prairie in winter in 6 months on a whim.

Gotta admire them.

And the production and delivery/commentary are great.

Yeah, 4000 miles across the Rockies and the Prairie in winter in 6 months on a whim.

Gotta admire them.

And the production and delivery/commentary are great.

When their exped sleeping mats froze and couldn't be inflated I was gobsmacked, that's proper technical gear and they reached its limits. A tough pair and it makes you realise how overly complicated the machines most use for these journies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tenting in -35 and riding in -20. ��

If you liked that check out itchy boots also she's from Norway and has done some epic adventures around the world seeing some absolutely epic places and has no support crew, I think she made her money to afford the travelling in mining in Australia. Covid has made ****e of her current plans travelling from South America to Alaska.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ItchyBoots/featured

• Advertisement

Another goodun is Pedro mota on his trusty Alp. Same sh1t with Corona but he's back on a loaner alp going to Portugal via Netherlands after having left his Alp in Argentina iirc. He's been in some very very remote spots on it!

H_Lime wrote: »
    Another goodun is Pedro mota on his trusty Alp. Same sh1t with Corona but he's back on a loaner alp going to Portugal via Netherlands after having left his Alp in Argentina iirc. He's been in some very very remote spots on it!

His stuff is pretty epic alright and really highlights how simple bikes are sometimes the best. Also his ability to speak portugese is very handy.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    His stuff is pretty epic alright and really highlights how simple bikes are sometimes the best. Also his ability to speak portugese is very handy.
    I'd be found dead starved in some of the places he's been. Like when he had to abandon his Alp and walk to some town in the middle of no place as he was stuck when roads had washed out. Again, an uber chill dude who just rolls with the punches, shrugs n gets along with it. He had an interesting episode with the bush mechanics and his improvised c&s!

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'd be found dead starved in some of the places he's been. Like when he had to abandon his Alp and walk to some town in the middle of no place as he was stuck when roads had washed out. Again, an uber chill dude who just rolls with the punches, shrugs n gets along with it. He had an interesting episode with the bush mechanics and his improvised c&s!

Yeah I remember seeing that one and I think he had picked the bike up a half dozen times before he said enough was enough. It must be hard for those kind of travellers to not just give it a go and keep in mid if it goes pear shaped they're a long way from anywhere and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GBX wrote: »
    Handy doing these treks when your minted and backed up by big brand sponsorship. Definitely more enjoyable watching ordinary folks try their hand with limited budget and kits. But its something to watch anyway :)

There was one I saw years ago can't remember what it was called, about half a dozen English lads on DRs filmed themselves going right across Russia, think they were the last to do it on gravel before a new road opened. Very good, and no support crew or any of that shíte :)

Life ain't always empty.

There was one I saw years ago can't remember what it was called, about half a dozen English lads on DRs filmed themselves going right across Russia, think they were the last to do it on gravel before a new road opened. Very good, and no support crew or any of that shíte :)

That was mega, Mondo Enduro/Terra Circa. Hard-core stuff with that lot!!
    While we're here anyone read Dan Walsh's "These are the days that must happen to you"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Watching LWR, LWD and LWU has made me feel like learning to ride a bike and just pissing off somewhere on a mad road trip..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

the bus finished it for me, the scenery was fantastic but the story was a bit lacklustre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

BobMc wrote: »
    the bus finished it for me, the scenery was fantastic but the story was a bit lacklustre

Ye, very weak last episode. 50% of it about putting together a bus and then it seemed like they just spent 1 night on it.

I'm watching S1 again now. Far more interesting and while they had support vehicles they didn't seem as reliant on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

zubair wrote: »
    Ye, very weak last episode. 50% of it about putting together a bus and then it seemed like they just spent 1 night on it.

I'm watching S1 again now. Far more interesting and while they had support vehicles they didn't seem as reliant on them.

The last episode was essentially pimp my bus and they didn't even get Xzibit. What in the f*ck does pimping a bus have to do with a motorcycle travel show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Enjoyed the series in general. Some beautiful scenery and drone shots etc but the last two episodes totally rushed. Like there was almost an episode spent on the drama of getting the bus ready... they must have spent thousands on that bus! And what happened to the Rivians while they went on the bus? And the poor biker cameraman that rode with them most of the way? Did he have to ride his bike through all the dodgy areas!!
    It's like they spent all the time on 9 episodes and someone said ****e we'd better finish this off quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Simon201 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the series in general. Some beautiful scenery and drone shots etc but the last two episodes totally rushed. Like there was almost an episode spent on the drama of getting the bus ready... they must have spent thousands on that bus! And what happened to the Rivians while they went on the bus? And the poor biker cameraman that rode with them most of the way? Did he have to ride his bike through all the dodgy areas!!
    It's like they spent all the time on 9 episodes and someone said ****e we'd better finish this off quick!

Oh ye, WTF happened to claudio? Poor lad has an awful time. Presumed dead.

Advertisement