Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westfield Leixlip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cococonut

Back with two more silly questions if anyone doesn't mind :o
    Is the alarm included with the house? Or is it just wired for an alarm system and you install your own?
    I was told the walls come skimmed and painted - but what colour are they painted? We were looking at the 3 bed M type if that changes anything, but I hated the paint colour in the show house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cococonut wrote: »
    Is the alarm included with the house? Or is it just wired for an alarm system and you install your own?
    I was told the walls come skimmed and painted - but what colour are they painted? We were looking at the 3 bed M type if that changes anything, but I hated the paint colour in the show house :P

will likely be offered a choice of colours , house is wired for an alarm but you have to get your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cococonut wrote: »

The walls are painted an off-white shade - it's chalky stuff that stains when wet.

<snip>

This estate was originally supposed to have two three storey apartment blocks, and one of those was since extended to five storey. Now the developer has applied for a 32-unit block by the entrance. I'm all for more places for people to live, but there are poor feckers have already bought and moved into houses that will be completely dominated and overshadowed by this hulk. It's a full storey higher than most of the houses in the estate - the ones in the picture are five-beds, and there's only ten of those.

Just a warning note for those thinking about buying here.

504238.png

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

That building looks very well, fits nicely beside the three storey houses to the left.

Don't be a nimby, no one likes nimbys

• Advertisement

loremolis wrote: »
    That building looks very well, fits nicely beside the three storey houses to the left.

Don't be a nimby, no one likes nimbys

That artists rendring isnt doing it justice , where its placed it will look right into the back gardens of some houses and definitely cast a shaddow at times of the day , the number of one beds also suggests to me that it might have more social housing which the residents who dropped almost half a million were promised (verbally) there wouldnt be.

The google reviews seem to have a lot of pissed off buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Seem very unfair on people who bought a house based on existing plans, only for the developer to look to replace houses with three story apartment blocks after everyone has already bought and moved in. When you buy off plans in a new development there has to be an element of good faith from the developer or else everyone would wait until it is built before putting down money.

The developer has separately been issued with a planning compliance warning due to the lack of a promised creche in the estate, as well as putting in parking where there's supposed to be a green space. Add a lack of promised playground, lack of pedestrian entrances being opened up, and outright lies about the proposed block, and I understand why residents are up in arms.

Residents are always 'up in arms' over something or other. I'd bet that other residents in other housing nearby schemes were also 'up in arms' when the Westfield development was being planned.

Being 'up in arms' is just another way of saying you're nimby

That artists rendring isnt doing it justice , where its placed it will look right into the back gardens of some houses and definitely cast a shaddow at times of the day , the number of one beds also suggests to me that it might have more social housing which the residents who dropped almost half a million were promised (verbally) there wouldnt be.

The google reviews seem to have a lot of pissed off buyers

If that rendering doesn't do it justice then it'll look even better.

Why are you concerned about residents who 'dropped' half a million based on something that was verbal?

God forbid that there are one bed apartments in case there is some social housing!!! What would you do with social housing then, round them all up?

• Advertisement

If that rendering doesn't do it justice then it'll look even better.

Why are you concerned about residents who 'dropped' half a million based on something that was verbal?

God forbid that there are one bed apartments in case there is some social housing!!! What would you do with social housing then, round them all up?

Not put them near houses with 500k price tags anyway.. Its just like the bait and switch out the kilcock - maynooth road too, sell a load of private houses then cluid comes in and plonks people paying nothing down.

Regardless of your false outrage about ‘nimbys’ if you were a year or 2 into a mortgage for almost half a mil and some problem social tenants got housing for basically free just behind your back wall and started causing enough trouble to put you in negative equity , youd be rightly pissed off

Residents are always 'up in arms' over something or other. I'd bet that other residents in other housing nearby schemes were also 'up in arms' when the Westfield development was being planned.

Being 'up in arms' is just another way of saying you're nimby

Are you saying that there's no justification for anyone to be angry about being lied to, and the developer not building the development the council/ABP approved? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dec2020

Do you think they will try and make the Mews bigger at the end of the estate? I have a deposit down on a house near that part.

Dec2020 wrote: »
    Do you think they will try and make the Mews bigger at the end of the estate? I have a deposit down on a house near that part.

Woukdnt trust him to make anything bigger if green spaces being made smaller, a creche is being overlooked and apartments are being shoehorned in.

Dec2020 wrote: »

Already tried and failed - see planning application 18663 at http://webgeo.kildarecoco.ie/public/planningsearch/171

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dec2020

Was this not appealed to Bord Pleanala and granted?
    302399: Glen Easton, Leixlip County Kildare (18/663)

Not put them near houses with 500k price tags anyway.. Its just like the bait and switch out the kilcock - maynooth road too, sell a load of private houses then cluid comes in and plonks people paying nothing down.

Regardless of your false outrage about ‘nimbys’ if you were a year or 2 into a mortgage for almost half a mil and some problem social tenants got housing for basically free just behind your back wall and started causing enough trouble to put you in negative equity , youd be rightly pissed off

If this, if that. If my Aunt had b*lls she'd be my Uncle. The only fake outrage going on here is yours.

Are you really that concerned about someone you don't know who bought a house and that house is now potentially going to be near apartments and may hypothetically, according to your analysis of a hypothetical situation, might be in negative equity?

buffalo wrote: »
    Are you saying that there's no justification for anyone to be angry about being lied to, and the developer not building the development the council/ABP approved? :confused:

As far as I know a person can only build what has been approved by the Council or An Bord Pleanala. Those permissions are publicly available so what is your exact issue if the person building has permission or wants to change the permission through the planning process?

Sounds very Nimby to me if you can't accept that planning permission allows someone to build what they got permission for.

As far as I know a person can only build what has been approved by the Council or An Bord Pleanala. Those permissions are publicly available so what is your exact issue if the person building has permission or wants to change the permission through the planning process?

Sounds very Nimby to me if you can't accept that planning permission allows someone to build what they got permission for.

Please go back and read my original post, with the image.

Please go back and read my original post, with the image.

I read it again and you're still a Nimby. The developer can change the development only if they receive planning permission and you can object with anyone else who wants to. Your complaint is invalid.

• Advertisement

It's not in my back garden, it's nowhere near my house. I have however heard from the people who have moved into the area and paid large amounts of money based on the developer's promises of what the estate will look like - i.e. the current planning permission. They were told there was going to be houses behind/beside them, and that those houses were in fact already sold. Now a few months later, with sales of the houses nearby finalised, the plans are being completely changed. You can label those people as nimbys if you want, but as victims of those sort of outright lies, I don't think it really sticks.

I am however waiting on the developer to build the creche, which is now the subject of an enforcement notice at it was supposed to be at least started by now. There was also supposed to be a playground and some pedestrian and cycling facilities. Instead the developer seems to be prioritising this block ahead of the creche, depriving the area of services in favour of lining their own pockets. I'm interested to see what power an enforcement notice has.

As I said above, I'm all for places for people to live - if a block was proposed in the field beside my house, I would sigh and know that I'd miss my view, but I don't think I'd be objecting.

It's not in my back garden, it's nowhere near my house. I have however heard from the people who have moved into the area and paid large amounts of money based on the developer's promises of what the estate will look like - i.e. the current planning permission. They were told there was going to be houses behind/beside them, and that those houses were in fact already sold. Now a few months later, with sales of the houses nearby finalised, the plans are being completely changed. You can label those people as nimbys if you want, but as victims of those sort of outright lies, I don't think it really sticks.

I am however waiting on the developer to build the creche, which is now the subject of an enforcement notice at it was supposed to be at least started by now. There was also supposed to be a playground and some pedestrian and cycling facilities. Instead the developer seems to be prioritising this block ahead of the creche, depriving the area of services in favour of lining their own pockets. I'm interested to see what power an enforcement notice has.

As I said above, I'm all for places for people to live - if a block was proposed in the field beside my house, I would sigh and know that I'd miss my view, but I don't think I'd be objecting.

You say that ‘’ I have heard from people’ and that they were told’ and that they are ‘victims of outright lies’. Who are you, Batman? Are you in a crusade for justice for others by being a concerned citizen about what others may possibly have been told and what you may have heard and what doesn’t seem to be directly effecting you. That’s fake outrage if I ever saw it.

How much of a negative effect do the houses in the Westfield development have on the adjoining Glen Easton estate?

How viable is a crèche in that site when there are plenty of spaces in the crèche across the road and in others nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Top_Guy

\
    How viable is a crèche in that site when there are plenty of spaces in the crèche across the road and in others nearby

Obviously said by someone who has no clue about childcare issues in the North Kildare area. Any local creches have over a year long waiting list, and only take kids full time in my experience.

A creche is badly needed in this and any other new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PrometheusK

Ridiculous statement in the current environment where there is a country wide shortage of childcare services.

I can confirm there is not sufficient childcare places in Leixlip and there is a substantial waiting list, childcare providers didn't state exact numbers.

My OH and I were due to sign a contract last week but pulled out due to COVID 19 and the associated implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

My OH and I were due to sign a contract last week but pulled out due to COVID 19 and the implications associated.

What are the associated implications?

I was told by estate agent in January 2020 that the creche was to be the built at the end of the development?

we were due to sign a contract last week but pulled out due to current uncertainty. We felt house prices had peaked and a lot of the current phase on sale hadn't sold before the outbreak. Possible delay in finishing dates also put us off. Very possible these houses wont be finished until at least Christmas now.

Is the playground guaranteed to be built?

The opening of additional pedestrian entrances might be delayed due to ongoing construction? But I don't know for sure just a guess.

Estate seems very nice

mp3guy wrote: »
    What are the associated implications?

In my opinion house prices will drop. But I could be wrong, there is still a lot of demand for housing.

A global economic recession is coming so we thought it was best to wait a few months and re-evaluate, especially as the house will not be finished until the end of Q3, confirmed by estate agent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

In my opinion house prices will drop. But I could be wrong, there is still a lot of demand for housing.

A global economic recession is coming so we thought it was best to wait a few months and re-evaluate, especially as the house will not be finished until the end of Q3, confirmed by estate agent

Are you buying a house to live in or invest in?

mp3guy wrote: »
    Are you buying a house to live in or invest in?

To live, I get that point that it's a home vs investment but I just think waiting a few months for things to settle down is the right option.

If the existing houses on sale were "flying off the shelves" we would most likely have purchased.

• Advertisement

To live, I get that point that it's a home vs investment but I just think waiting a few months for things to settle down is the right option.

If the existing houses on sale were "flying off the shelves" we would most likely have purchased.

COVID will impact you're mortgage eligibility long before it impacts the price of the house in a meaningful way.

Advertisement