Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning cloud

• 10-01-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Has anyone done any courses with learning cloud?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Did a level 8 in NCI - any specific questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SalonkaK

Diceicle wrote: »
    Did a level 8 in NCI - any specific questions?

I was just wondering is it possible to get a level 8 NFQ with one of their courses. I have a level 7 in biomedical science and am looking to do a level 8 online as going back to college full time is not an option for me. Do you think completing one of their courses would be an advantage for employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'm not 100% sure what you mean - but the NCI will provide you with a NFQ Level 8 - Higher Diploma in Computer Science - which will have a 'cloud' component - it may have changed the course somewhat but it could be argued that 'cloud' is little more than a buzzword - you would essentially be learning Computer Science 101 with a sprinkle of cloudyness.

I did mine part-time while working but they have since added online options - though you still have to attend at specific times - albeit from your home or work.

Look into Springboard - you might be able to get a level 8 comp science for free while working.

My course was M/W/F/S for one year - hard going while working.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hang on, are we talking about Learning Cloud: https://learningcloud.ie/ or enrolling in a course that will teach you cloud technologies (learning cloud, the subject)?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Bumping this thread - has anyone studied with learningcloud.ie?
    They have a certificate that i would be interested in completing. 600hrs but it can be done in your own time at your own pace. Approx €1600.
    I think the old biddy in me would worry about an online course being a bit airy-fairy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 canteringh

Wondering about this organisation myself. Would be interested in more info about their credentials from anyone who has had experience of them too.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Bumping this thread - has anyone studied with learningcloud.ie?
    They have a certificate that i would be interested in completing. 600hrs but it can be done in your own time at your own pace. Approx €1600.
    I think the old biddy in me would worry about an online course being a bit airy-fairy?
    Hi,I have the same query as you? Did you enroll,if so how did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

any updates from anyone? never heard about them before but they seem to have a good selection of courses

Hi, Still no wiser about the whole set up! Would be great to hear from someone who has completed a course or courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Bumping this thread because I'd like to do one of their courses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnieGuy

Hey. I've had an appaling experience with Larning Cloud Ireland and I urge you to avoid them.

This goes back to 2013 when I first moved to Ireland. I was newly unemployed and I'd never studied online before, so I did not know what was reasonable in terms of cost and content.

At the time I was unable to travel to any venue for tutor contact, so online was my only option. Unlike now, where there are many online choices, there were few at the time, and Learning Cloud topped the searches and had a professional looking website and online presence. I didn't probe too deeply, just looked through the contents of a Graphic Design Course that I was interested in and noted how in depth the content was from looking at the topics and sub topics list.

I balked at the cost €500 up front, but I figured it would be money well spent as the course included tutor support, though no formal qualification. So I submitted my interest and was phoned back by a Stella Reynolds who encouraged me to part with my cash and get started. I understood that there was a 7 day cooling off period too.

I started immediately. The structure was such that once you completed a module it unlocked the next module. The first module was an introduction to the subject which included a generally available Youtube video about the industry in general. The assignment was to research the various areas within the industry and to write up and submit a report. The reply I got was not even a full sentence. "Great work." I suddenly began to get a little suspicious as this tutor did not introduce him/herself and I realised I had no way of speaking to them or contacting them with any queries other than uploading an assignment. By this time my cooling off period had expired.

I clicked onto the next module and I was shocked and surprised to see that it consisted of a couple of pages of poorly formatted text with a few typos. There were no training videos, no resources, links, or assignments. I clicked through to the next module and so forth. I scanned through 11 modules of content, all similar in appearance and again with no opportunities for further guided research, practice, resources or tutor interaction. The 12th and final module was an assignment. To design a leaflet for a ficticious youth charity. I imagined the response I'd get if I submitted anything!

To sum up I was gutted to realize that I had been scammed and it was my fault for not being more wary about what I was getting into. I was too embarrassed to ask for my money back and just took the hit. Don't let this happen to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 StudentM

AnnieGuy wrote: »
    Hey. I've had an appaling experience with Larning Cloud Ireland and I urge you to avoid them.

This goes back to 2013 when I first moved to Ireland. I was newly unemployed and I'd never studied online before, so I did not know what was reasonable in terms of cost and content.

At the time I was unable to travel to any venue for tutor contact, so online was my only option. Unlike now, where there are many online choices, there were few at the time, and Learning Cloud topped the searches and had a professional looking website and online presence. I didn't probe too deeply, just looked through the contents of a Graphic Design Course that I was interested in and noted how in depth the content was from looking at the topics and sub topics list.

I balked at the cost €500 up front, but I figured it would be money well spent as the course included tutor support, though no formal qualification. So I submitted my interest and was phoned back by a Stella Reynolds who encouraged me to part with my cash and get started. I understood that there was a 7 day cooling off period too.

I started immediately. The structure was such that once you completed a module it unlocked the next module. The first module was an introduction to the subject which included a generally available Youtube video about the industry in general. The assignment was to research the various areas within the industry and to write up and submit a report. The reply I got was not even a full sentence. "Great work." I suddenly began to get a little suspicious as this tutor did not introduce him/herself and I realised I had no way of speaking to them or contacting them with any queries other than uploading an assignment. By this time my cooling off period had expired.

I clicked onto the next module and I was shocked and surprised to see that it consisted of a couple of pages of poorly formatted text with a few typos. There were no training videos, no resources, links, or assignments. I clicked through to the next module and so forth. I scanned through 11 modules of content, all similar in appearance and again with no opportunities for further guided research, practice, resources or tutor interaction. The 12th and final module was an assignment. To design a leaflet for a ficticious youth charity. I imagined the response I'd get if I submitted anything!

To sum up I was gutted to realize that I had been scammed and it was my fault for not being more wary about what I was getting into. I was too embarrassed to ask for my money back and just took the hit. Don't let this happen to you!

AVOID!!!!
    I sent an email enquiring and got an email back and when I didn’t respond I got another email so I asked to be Unsubscribed as there is no option on the email. Stella Reynolds sent back the rudest and most sarcastic email I have ever received. Basically I was never subscribed and if I want to do that I go into the site and consider myself “unsubscribed” ... just a really nasty sarcastic tone because I wasn’t interested in the courses anymore. I responded saying it was within my right to enquire about being unsubscribed and that usually emails have that option. She replied with another nasty aggressive email. So of course I put her in her place with my reply telling her how rude she was. If this is customer service then no thank you! Better online courses out there and far friendlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Conversations 3

Any other updates on this crowd?

Advertisement