Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UX design

• 22-11-2017 12:01pm

Has anyone here moved from psychology into UX design? There are some lucrative jobs advertised online and I wonder what extra training we would need for this as a trained psychologist (basic degree).

Comments

Bump. Anyone at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,376 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Two year bumping your own question. This has to be a record.

listermint wrote: »

And why not I still didn't get a response apart from your one which is of no help whatsoever 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

No personally but it seems like an interesting career move, jobs in psychology are scarce

beauf wrote: »
    Do some UX qualifications.

And no offence but if you haven't found this out, perhaps you're really not that interested. You tube is saturated with videos all about UX careers. Lots of UX online communities. Etc.

Boards isn't a great place for those kinds of conversations. Which is why you got no response.

No offense...that's always said when someone is trying to offend or knows they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well you'd be wrong. Since I wasn't. You've basically asked, what training you need to do UX. Then waited 2yrs for an answer. Does that not strike you as odd.

Putting all that aside.

The problem is the jobs advertised as UX are not all the same. Some very basic entry level jobs, and some are more correctly software programmers with hard core technical skills. Its a broad field.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Moving+form+psychology+to+UX&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE880IE880&oq=Moving+form+psychology+to+UX&aqs=chrome..69i57.5943j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://uxplanet.org/how-to-structure-your-first-ux-design-portfolio-7b51576a04df

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Haters gonna hate, you bump all you want :) the Psychology of Everyday Things (also published as the Design of Everyday Things) is a fantastic book that never went out of date... I was thinking of it just the other day because Ubuntu has buttons where the function changes when you hover over them with the cursor... classic bad design talked about in that old book. That's the only two cents i can give on this topic... Best of luck! :)

Haters gonna hate, you bump all you want :) the Psychology of Everyday Things (also published as the Design of Everyday Things) is a fantastic book that never went out of date... I was thinking of it just the other day because Ubuntu has buttons where the function changes when you hover over them with the cursor... classic bad design talked about in that old book. That's the only two cents i can give on this topic... Best of luck! :)

That sounds like a great read thank you I will check that out!

beauf wrote: »
    Well you'd be wrong. Since I wasn't. You've basically asked, what training you need to do UX. Then waited 2yrs for an answer. Does that not strike you as odd.

Putting all that aside.

The problem is the jobs advertised as UX are not all the same. Some very basic entry level jobs, and some are more correctly software programmers with hard core technical skills. Its a broad field.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Moving+form+psychology+to+UX&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE880IE880&oq=Moving+form+psychology+to+UX&aqs=chrome..69i57.5943j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://uxplanet.org/how-to-structure-your-first-ux-design-portfolio-7b51576a04df

It doesn't strike me as odd as I have worked fulltime, gotten a promoted role twice at work, experienced loss and studied for a masters in that time I didn't just sit refreshing my post the last two years!! Normal life moved on and as I was busy I hadn't time to rethink my goal until I had the relevant masters completed which I now do. So it is right on time for me to post as I am ready to jump now whereas I was only mulling the idea 2 years ago. Thank you though I understand your view it just came across as harsh but I appreciate your advice so thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

listermint wrote: »

Psychology forum is quiet, older threads resurfacing is not unusual and it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The experience and responses thus far suggests this forum is not a productive way of getting information on this subject. Imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Lorenzo Witty Lumberman

UX would be a more logic-linear process, that follows fairly basic and established design (and HC-I) principles, with growing strong leverage now on singular media: mobile devices.

You'd be much better looking towards the advertising industry (which when done well) is really more psychology than it is finished artwork/design.

It's often subtle, even subliminal. Look at any significant ad-run from the 80's, you could nearly write a whole book deconstructing a single press ad from it.
    Also, when they pitching a new client or proposal an on hand ad-psych, it certainly helps sell any campaign across to the potential-client.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Take free online User Experience (UX) courses to build your skills and advance your career. Learn User Experience (UX) and other in-demand subjects with courses from top universities and institutions around the world on edX.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Panda_Returns

Hi Julie,

I'm a UX designer working in Dublin. My advice would be to do a course, I recently finished the masters in user experience in IADT. They also have a certificate which I also completed and found really helpful for getting my first UX job. I made the transition from graphic design to UX. Coming from psych you might be suited to a more R&D role.

Advertisement