Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Injured/Retired

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,374 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Only seeing this now, but Fran Berry has retired - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/berry-announces-retirement/164379

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Jeremy Noseda Retiring it seems. All fairly abrupt all be it he has been in serious decline over the past few years.

Thought he had a nice 3yo sprinter too in Garrus. Wonder where he will go.

Lady Kaya had to be euthanized this morning after breaking her leg.

Jesus that is absolutely gutting. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Devastating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Rough luck. Awful when it happens to a lovely yard like that, a week before Ascot also.... really unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Terrible news.
    She was a great horse in a small yard, and owned by the family.
    They have gone from the top of the world to the pits of despair in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Sea Of Class has died after she was put to sleep having failed to recover from Lymphoma which was the reason she originally had a surgery which turned into colic.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/last-years-arc-second-sea-of-class-loses-battle-against-colic-illness/391514

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

m

tryfix wrote: »
    Sea Of Class has died after she was put to sleep having failed to recover from Lymphoma which was the reason she originally had a surgery which turned into colic.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/last-years-arc-second-sea-of-class-loses-battle-against-colic-illness/391514

Sad indeed, she was really special, reckon her best days were still possibly ahead of her. Not to be unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Too Darn Hot retired

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with him they just had to find an excuse to send him to stud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Emergency surgery for nothing wrong with him...

I would say they have their quota of Group 1's now and they are wary of crossing the testers again. The horse showed way too much improvement from what he showed early season.

Gas cnuts with the conspiracy theories :pac:

The Mig wrote: »

I know, sure Lance Armstrong was innocent for 10 years also.

Tell me this, if there have been 73 winners of the Arc since 1946 and 18 winners were fillies. would you not find it strange that 8 of those fillies have won it in the last 11 years? Furthermore 5 fillies won it in the 8 years between 1976 and 1983.

Do you not find that a bit of a statistical anomaly? If you take out those two "spells" of fillies winning the Arc there are only 5 winners in 60 years?

What do you reckon?

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Tell me this, if there have been 73 winners of the Arc since 1946 and 18 winners were fillies. would you not find it strange that 8 of those fillies have won it in the last 11 years? Furthermore 5 fillies won it in the 8 years between 1976 and 1983.

Do you not find that a bit of a statistical anomaly? If you take out those two "spells" of fillies winning the Arc there are only 5 winners in 60 years?

What do you reckon?
    Firstly anyone who thinks that racing isn't riddled with drug taking is wilfully naive. However the fillies gaining a particular advantage is a new one to me. I would have put geldings as being the category hugely advantaged by the likes of Bute.

The rise of the fillies is easily explained. The 3lbs sex allowance and the fact that 13years ago the French Colts used to win most Arcs. The French Colts won the Arc in 2006 2005, 2004, 2003, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1990.

When the French Derby was 12f it produced bucketloads of Arc winners. That changed in 2005 when Hurricane run won the Arc after finding 10f too short for him in the 2005 French Derby. The last French Colt to win the Arc was Raillink in 2006

In abandoning the 12f 3yo classic the French have essentially destroyed their greatest race as they simply aren't at the races with their 12f 3yo colts. No 3yo colts means that the 3yo fillies have stepped into the gap, there's no reluctance about running at 12f for the best fillies, the best young stallions on the other hand tend to avoid 12f once the English-Irish Derby double is over.

Also a good Epsom Derby winner will win an Arc, but Coolmore don't train their 3yo colts to win the Arc so there's really just Gosden left to produce Arc winning 3yo colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

You would think that with all this insider knowledge of doping that they would be making a fortune backing these horses, yet not one of them backed TDH. They must be taking the high moral ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

tryfix wrote: »
    Firstly anyone who thinks that racing isn't riddled with drug taking is wilfully naive.

Are you talking about drug taking or doping? Huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I would say they have their quota of Group 1's now and they are wary of crossing the testers again. The horse showed way too much improvement from what he showed early season.

Did he not just beat trees in france, and had 1 decent run in the Sussex beating average enough G1 horses really. More like gradual improvement for each run to me. Stil probably the best 3yo. Its a pity as id have liked to see another run or 2.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Did he not just beat trees in france, and had 1 decent run in the Sussex beating average enough G1 horses really. More like gradual improvement for each run to me. Stil probably the best 3yo. Its a pity as id have liked to see another run or 2.

This.

Messy campaign at the beginning of the season, missing guineas and going for Dante and then running too soon in Irish guineas. Improved from Royal Ascot to France where they had him 'back' and then further improvement at Goodwood.

• Advertisement

What do you reckon?
    I was talking about TDH being drugged up and worried about testers and you bring up fillies improved records in the Arc ffs

Yes, he beat nothing in France. I am only speculating on the improvement, it just doesn't sit well with me. My instincts are fine. I didn't like the way Roaring Lion improved last year either.

Whatever way they are doping them I would guess it is easier to mask the fillies, hence the reason why they have been winning all the Arcs and other former Colt dominated races. I am not a Vet, at all, but I know something is up.

There has been a lot of fillies and mares winning big races in the last 10 years, not just on the flat either. I reckon that the vets are able to cover it up easier. It is also not as simple as inducing them to be in foal or anything, I would guess it is a bit more sophisticated than that.

As I say, I am only a mug punter, but something is definitely up.

I was talking about TDH being drugged up and worried about testers and you bring up fillies improved records in the Arc ffs

I was merely saying that there is probably doping going on.

As I said above , I reckon they are able to stay ahead of the testers with the fillies. The colts are obviously riskier to dope.

This stuff is hillarious lads. Getting a good laugh off it. Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Are you talking about drug taking or doping? Huge difference.

Drug taking.

Where it crosses the line into doping is hard to know as it's based on regulations that may well be insufficient to detect performance enhancement. There has been very little openness about what goes on in Europe compared to what goes on in the States.

There's the letter of the law when it comes to therapeutic drug treatments and then there's the masking of treatments and being ahead of the testers. I'd assume that it's a hopelessly complicated picture on a spectrum from allowing horses to withstand training to downright skulduggery.

If it looks too good to be true it probably is too good to be true. When the Godolphin horses came back from wintering in Dubai and mopped up in the UK top races, the natural suspicion was that they were being trained hard with drugs in Dubai and were then physically superior to the rest when they came back to Newmarket. When Encke deprived Camelot of The Triple Crown it was little surprise that he was doped, but anyone who opened their mouths previously to his being caught would have been slapped down.

The picture is very complicated, you'll sometimes see smaller trainers with only a fraction of the training facilities and therapies of the big trainers go on a winning spree with a great horse of theirs whose career and soundness matches the best of the big boys. It's very hard to guage what advantages are being taken because there's a wall of silence around these matters in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think Ryan Moore has been on sleeping tablets for a few years now.

I would say the jockeys are still taking stuff for their weight? Pissing pills etc?

Cocaine

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cocaine

I would say some do, but I am talking about something to keep their weight down. I mean if they test positive for coke they are in serious trouble, potentially career threatening. But if they are caught on the pee pills? How severe are the bans there?

Advertisement