Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neil Gaiman Appreciation Thread.

• 06-11-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Have to say, im a huge fan of everything of his that ive read so far. I dont actually read comics/graphic novels so ive never read a Sandman but im led to believe that those are excellent as well. Anyways i wanted to start a thread purely because he seems to have an absolute rake of stuff in his bibliography so i would love to hear peoples opinions of the full gamut of his stuff, a lot of which might not be found easily.

I personally have read his novels, the illustrated Coraline and a few other bits. Im currently reading Fragile things which is my first foray into his short stories and im hooked. After that i plan to read Good Omens which i hear is fantastic and since im getting into Pratchett lately too it should be a real treat.

What does everyone think? Is there a particular novel/short story/other that stands out for you?

Incidentally i hear he puts up orignal work on his website or blog from time to time, has anyone seen any of that?

Apologies if this thread has been started before.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've read the first couple of volumes of Sandman and American Gods. I really like his stuff, but not quite 'wowed' by it. He conjures up haunting and highly literate dream worlds, though, even if some of the subtleties and references are beyond me!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

He's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

lordgoat wrote: »
    He's great.

Your appreciation is very much in keeping with the thrust of the thread but any preferences? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I really need to be in the ''mood'' to read his stuff or I lose interest very quickly. I think he's a great writer but has a tendency to go on a bit about nothing.

Neverwhere was the first novel by him that I read and I really liked it... it was so incredibly bizarre but very clever too.
    Then I read The Graveyard Book which was cute- I liked the characters more than I liked the actual plot, though.
    A few months ago I read Smoke and Mirrors- some of the stories were absolutely wonderful but some just really dragged and were incredibly boring. I wasn't too impressed with that overall.

I still have a few of his books to get to. I'm planning on reading American Gods really soon, I've heard very mixed reviews of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Have to say, im a huge fan of everything of his that ive read so far. I dont actually read comics/graphic novels so ive never read a Sandman but im led to believe that those are excellent as well. Anyways i wanted to start a thread purely because he seems to have an absolute rake of stuff in his bibliography so i would love to hear peoples opinions of the full gamut of his stuff, a lot of which might not be found easily.

I personally have read his novels, the illustrated Coraline and a few other bits. Im currently reading Fragile things which is my first foray into his short stories and im hooked. After that i plan to read Good Omens which i hear is fantastic and since im getting into Pratchett lately too it should be a real treat.

What does everyone think? Is there a particular novel/short story/other that stands out for you?

Incidentally i hear he puts up orignal work on his website or blog from time to time, has anyone seen any of that?

Apologies if this thread has been started before.

Ahhh the anticipation and excitement starting to get into these writers !

I first read American Gods by Gaiman and like it but when I read Neverwhere I was hooked. I liked pretty much all his books. Never read his comics as it's not my thing.

His website is very good. I haven't looked at it for a year or so but there was always good stuff on it. He used to put up little stories or parts of the book he is working on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I was (and still am) a big fan of his comics, Sandman was really good. Can't really say the the same for his books. I thought American Gods was OK but Anansi Boys was 'meh'.

Read the comics would be my advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've heard the comics are supposed to be brilliant, but I was less than impressed with American Gods when I read it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've read Good Omens which was fantastic and am about a third of the way through Neverwhere right now. I am really enjoying it. I just started reading Pratchett in the past year too - so excited by so many good books ahead if me. I loved fantasy 'other world' kinda stuff as a kid but I never realised that it was still out there for adults til a while ago :D:D

So far - loving Gaiman's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

American Gods is coming out as a mini tv series in 2013. Really looking forward to it. Glad it wasn't make into a feature film as it would have left way too much out.

deman wrote: »
    American Gods is coming out as a mini tv series in 2013. Really looking forward to it. Glad it wasn't make into a feature film as it would have left way too much out.

Ah that's cool thanks for letting us know. I will look forward to that and I agree about a mini series being able to have a lot more than a film might.

I saw the mini series of Neverwhere that B.B.C. showed in the mid nineties but wasn't overly impressed but I guess it was hard to match the book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Alzy wrote: »
    Ah that's cool thanks for letting us know. I will look forward to that and I agree about a mini series being able to have a lot more than a film might.

I saw the mini series of Neverwhere that B.B.C. showed in the mid nineties but wasn't overly impressed but I guess it was hard to match the book.

According to the version of Neverwhere that I am reading now, Gaiman wrote it first for the BBC series, then when they were editing bits out, he decided to write a novel version afterwards adding back in all of these bits. The novel was released in the UK but he had to rewrite again for a US release and finally, the version I am reading, is a combination of both and according to the cover "Author's preferred text". So I guess there are several versions out there!

I wonder how different they all are (if at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

I forget the name of the book now, but it was a huge big tome centered about a dream sea which impinges slightly on the 'real world'....

Awesome book that I always hoped would have a follow-up to it. But it never arrived (imajaca? something like that)

Anyway, after I read that book I started going through the rest of the collected works of Mr Gaiman.
    So much stuff (books / films / comics) and all of such high quality - the guy is a genius.

BrerWolf wrote: »
    I forget the name of the book now, but it was a huge big tome centered about a dream sea which impinges slightly on the 'real world'....

Awesome book that I always hoped would have a follow-up to it. But it never arrived (imajaca? something like that)

Anyway, after I read that book I started going through the rest of the collected works of Mr Gaiman.
    So much stuff (books / films / comics) and all of such high quality - the guy is a genius.

Dosn't sound familiar to me but would there be a chance you are thinking of Clive Barkers "Imajica" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Alzy wrote: »

Yeh as Miamee says, the book actually came after the tv series which i love because most have said, its a brilliant book and probably my favourite as well.
    BrerWolf wrote: »

Never heard of it and ive read all his novels, although he has a lot of stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Your appreciation is very much in keeping with the thrust of the thread but any preferences? :pac:

Neverwhere, graveyard boy and American Gods.

The first series of 5 (i think) will be out in 2013, looking forward to it but wary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love it if neverwhere made it to the screen such a great book,one of my favourites,I've read american gods too and thought that was quite good too if not a little bizarre at times.I must read his other stuff,are any of his other books anything like neverwhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

For anyone that hasn´t read the book. Neil Gaiman put a post up on Instagram with a link to read it for free as an eBook.
    If you haven´t read it yet, now is a great chance to read it. An awesome novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Lockdown permitting, The Sandman for Netflix is due to start filming in 3 weeks....

Advertisement