Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Looks like olive oil and using the pith of an orange as a wick.

It'd probably smell great until the orange itself starts to burn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

QuB5J.jpg

yYVck.jpg

DJmte.jpg

xf153.jpg

NC967.jpg

j1Oc7.jpg

Q6Jic.jpg

fmpoY.jpg

gJZT3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Stick a couple of eggs in the kettle in the morning before making tea, then top up and boil again, then whenever you want your hard boiled egg, she'd be ready

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

uch wrote: »
    Stick a couple of eggs in the kettle in the morning before making tea, then top up and boil again, then whenever you want your hard boiled egg, she'd be ready

An old student trick. Also works with frankfurters.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

Some great ideas in here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Would that not give a weird taste to the tea?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jaqian wrote: »
    Would that not give a weird taste to the tea?
    TBH from a hygiene point of view you should at least wash the eggs since they aren't washed when you get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I did this in work a few times with varying degrees of success. The different kettles I used were difficult to get the eggs out of. Also one of the eggs cracked, so I had to wash it out and start again for the tea. I can see frankfurters working better as you can stab them with a fork to get them out. If I was in that much hurry in the morning, then I would hardboil 10 eggs on a sunday evening, and have them ready in the fridge each morning.

If you really want to save that precious couple of minutes in the morning, assuming you get up the same time every morning, is before you go to bed, fill the kettle, press the button, and have a timeswitch on the kettle so it starts around the same time your getting out of bed. It should be boiled by the time you are dressed and in the kitchen. Maybe get a second kettle for your eggs and do the same thing? Im not sure i would recommend using the same water for the tea and the eggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Anyone got any ideas on how to improve phone signal around the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Mobile calls? Mobile data or home phone reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭zg3409

newmug wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas on how to improve phone signal around the house?

Go with the network that has the strongest signal where you live. Try vodafone, meteor, 3 and o2. They each use different masts so their coverage is different. Best to unlock a phone and try a SIM from each. You cannot compare the "number of bars" from different phones. Best to use the one phone and change SIMs. Also a UK regisered phone can normally roam onto any network and show you the signal levels of each of them

You can also view all the masts and see which operator is closest here:
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/mobile_sites%3B_base_stations_and_masts.36.LE.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

danniemcq wrote: »
    Mobile calls? Mobile data or home phone reception?

Mobile calls.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Go with the network that has the strongest signal where you live. Try vodafone, meteor, 3 and o2. They each use different masts so their coverage is different. Best to unlock a phone and try a SIM from each. You cannot compare the "number of bars" from different phones. Best to use the one phone and change SIMs. Also a UK regisered phone can normally roam onto any network and show you the signal levels of each of them

You can also view all the masts and see which operator is closest here:
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/mobile_sites%3B_base_stations_and_masts.36.LE.asp

I'm locked into an 18 month contract with Emobile. Their reception is grand everywhere, except in my own house! I need something like an amplifier to boost the signal, I was wondering is there any life-hacking way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭zg3409

newmug wrote: »
    I'm locked into an 18 month contract with Emobile. Their reception is grand everywhere, except in my own house! I need something like an amplifier to boost the signal, I was wondering is there any life-hacking way of doing this?

eMobile is the same network as Meteor. In theory there are such devices but they need to be supplied by the phone company. 3 supply a model that only works on their network, vodafone supply a unit that uses your internet. I don't think eMobile have such an item. Ask in a phone shop if eMobile have such an item.

If you are happy leaving you mobile in the one place you could get a phone that works with a "car kit" and uses an external car roof mounted aerial (not all car kits nor phones do this). They you could mount the car aerial high up outside the house.

Or move your sim into a device like this:
    http://www.gsmdeskphone.co.uk/ with a roof aerial. The simpler way is to check coverage before signing a contract and try to cancel in the first few days if it is not working.

kjjrq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Eggs-cellent :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Savage yolk that!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

hacksz.jpgIt is a long list but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

^^^^^
    2i6nh3m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Duff wrote: »
    ^^^^^

If only there was a life hack to view it.

Zoom in using your browser or save the image and view with an image viewer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

0lordy wrote: »

Number 3 reminds me of that Black Books bit with the security door. If you are outside, how do you attach a rubber band to the handle on the inside?

Oh dear lord it gets worse.

"Sources for your Thesis; ... Alternatively, use sources from Wikipedia". Not sure i would recommend that.

Get your thumbdrive back - Put a file with your contact details on your thumbdrive, so it can come back to you. Wont work if I get your thumbdrive, as I usually format them before I do anything else.

Poop in work - It will save you ten minutes of your own time and you get paid :rolleyes:. I poop when and where I need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I was forever forgetting my lunch in the mornings so now i put my car keys in the fridge with it every night!

refrigerator.png
    From http://xkcd.com/1109/

Someone should make one :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204256/The-ridiculous-products-people-simply-bothered.html

article-2204256-15053801000005DC-304_634x524.jpg

article-2204256-15053E9E000005DC-558_634x887.jpg

article-2204256-1505382E000005DC-595_634x627.jpg

^^^lol

article-2204256-15053848000005DC-564_634x350.jpg

Self twirling

article-2204256-15053EA9000005DC-604_634x597.jpg

For peeps with Arthritic Fingers apparently ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

How to build a cheap shed out of timber pallets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

shayno90 wrote: »
    It is a long list but worth it.

Couple of points:

School education thesis:

2 - ( Buy some time) there are tools dedicated to helping amend incorrect file names. If you need more time for a paper, its generally best to just ask for it.

3 - (Get your thumb drive back) this is plain bad advice. Firstly you can only use it if you haven't lost it yet; secondly it won't work at all if the thumbdrive is deliberately stolen, which happens.

So here's an advice that will prevent it from happening. Get a small pouch with a carabiner clip, like a soft camera case. Pick something that you like the look of, the plan involves owning this for quite some time.
    221326.jpg

Inside it attach (sew/superglue/hotglue/nail nails don't work so good) a retractable keyring, I picked one up in Woodies for about €2 that looked like this.
    221327.JPG
    Finally attach any USB keys to the keyring, and clip this carabiner into a rucksack, satchel or handbag - and leave it clipped there, permanently glue if necessary. Some rucksacks have elastic loops for holding pens nearest their zips, so consider using one of them for this.

I know people who have tried using a retractable keyring attached to a trouser pocket and it was so bothersome they gave up on it. They were not at all happy to lose their USB sticks afterwards. The extra complication of doing it this way means you're using stuff you like the look of, you always know which bag has your USB stick and exactly where in it is is and you don't quit a good habit because its gotten inconvenient.

• Advertisement

a5y wrote: »
    Couple of points:

School education thesis:

2 - ( Buy some time) there are tools dedicated to helping amend incorrect file names. If you need more time for a paper, its generally best to just ask for it.

3 - (Get your thumb drive back) this is plain bad advice. Firstly you can only use it if you haven't lost it yet; secondly it won't work at all if the thumbdrive is deliberately stolen, which happens.

So here's an advice that will prevent it from happening. Get a small pouch with a carabiner clip, like a soft camera case. Pick something that you like the look of, the plan involves owning this for quite some time.
    221326.jpg

Inside it attach (sew/superglue/hotglue/nail nails don't work so good) a retractable keyring, I picked one up in Woodies for about €2 that looked like this.
    221327.JPG
    Finally attach any USB keys to the keyring, and clip this carabiner into a rucksack, satchel or handbag - and leave it clipped there, permanently glue if necessary. Some rucksacks have elastic loops for holding pens nearest their zips, so consider using one of them for this.

I know people who have tried using a retractable keyring attached to a trouser pocket and it was so bothersome they gave up on it. They were not at all happy to lose their USB sticks afterwards. The extra complication of doing it this way means you're using stuff you like the look of, you always know which bag has your USB stick and exactly where in it is is and you don't quit a good habit because its gotten inconvenient.

+1 million on the glue. Someone comes over and says, "can I borrow your thumbdrive", instead of offending them by saying "Oh I only lend it to special people", simply say, "Sorry I can't, its glued". Simples.

Advertisement