Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

Given that 147s have become more common over the years, doesn’t it also make sense that they would be less well rewarded?

But they aren't rewarded at all in this comp - just the high break prize. The days of getting £100,000 or more are gone, but something like £20,000+ on top of the high break prize would hardly break the bank. If there was more than 1 max in a comp, just divvy the pot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Walker-Murphy is painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Walker-Murphy is painful to watch.

Absolutely woeful. It's getting to Murphy (and me).

Some of Lee Walker's shots are woeful - he'd make the likes of those oldstagers McManus, Doherty, and Jimmy look good :pac:

Still, good on him, as he's looking good to win this 7th frame, and to be only 4-3 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wilson's 147 was never in trouble

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think he might have thought for a second that 15th black wasn't going to drop. It looked wide to me anyway but slipped into the pocket handily enough in the end.

Can see a snooker coming.

That safety/snooker from Murphy; plus developing the black, was one for the ages. Surely he'll finish the job now.

Couple of cracking shots by murphy there alright but overall, quite laboured i thought. Find it hard to see him going deep in these tournaments right now, unless he can play his way into some confidence.

The amount of easy pots missed by Wilson and Shaun today/yesterday (mainly yesterday ha :p) was something else. Hard to see either of them do well in this.

Some Irish sounding bloke got a good 'shout out' too during one of those almost surreal type safety exchanges ( Walker really wanted to take nothing on, and it didn't exactly do Shaun any favours I suppose, when he just wanted to get on with it.)

So, at least "Jimbo" O'Reilly (think that was the name Fouldsy mentioned) would've been happy out getting a mention :)

• Advertisement

Definitely a bit of murphy getting dragged into walkers slow grinding game there. Think he's having travel/quarantine issues too and hasn't been able to access his table in the city centre so probably affecting his form and confidence a bit. That said, he does actually have a bit of a plum draw here, seeded to meet maguire last 16 If it goes to form so it is a bit of a chance to get a good run going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is Hendry taking part. In any of these tournaments? He’s still last in the rankings with no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

No he said he doesn't want to play in empty arenas and that his game isn't good enough yet.

McManus and White both deserve to lose this match. It would make you appreciate the subtlety of potting ana positional play that you can take for granted until you see a game where it’s completely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Given that 147s have become more common over the years, doesn’t it also make sense that they would be less well rewarded?

Bingham just knocked one in

McManus and White both deserve to lose this match. It would make you appreciate the subtlety of potting ana positional play that you can take for granted until you see a game where it’s completely lacking.

Good clearance by Jimmy to win it but he made hard work of the yellow green and brown. Thought he was going to bottle it.

Heard them say early on on Eurosport that Betway, I think, the sponsors were giving £10,000 for a 147 - I don't know if that was for the players, or the charity they were talking about just prior to mentioning the high break & the max prize/s.

Leo with a Taom patch and using Triangle chalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Heard them say early on on Eurosport that Betway, I think, the sponsors were giving £10,000 for a 147 - I don't know if that was for the players, or the charity they were talking about just prior to mentioning the high break & the max prize/s.

Don't know about the others but Kyren Wilson's 147 made £10,000 for a charity.

Rothko wrote: »
    Don't know about the others but Kyren Wilson's 147 made £10,000 for a charity.

Thanks - the way they spoke about it, it was a bit unclear as to whether that £10,000 was for the charity, or the players. The high break prize was interwoven into that conversation; as well as the donation per century for the foundation/charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It's a bit of a slow burner this UK i have to say. The fact Eurosport have no analysis before, during or after all matches is not great. Some of the players have been pretty poor and matches have not been very exciting.

Still though it's a great tournament so when BBC come on board next week and we get some analysis it will be a lot better. A tournament as prestigious as this deserves some analysis at the very least.

It's a bit of a slow burner this UK i have to say. The fact Eurosport have no analysis before, during or after all matches is not great. Some of the players have been pretty poor and matches have not been very exciting.

Still though it's a great tournament so when BBC come on board next week and we get some analysis it will be a lot better. A tournament as prestigious as this deserves some analysis at the very least.

Tbh, these matches feel more like qualifiers rather than an actual first round proper.

Pity that. After picking out a good plant. Last shot of the night for him i suspect.

Scratch that: jinx worked!

Jaysus, 4 chances to win that frame Leo! What more did you want? Nice finish by ron, though.

Thanks - the way they spoke about it, it was a bit unclear as to whether that £10,000 was for the charity, or the players. The high break prize was interwoven into that conversation; as well as the donation per century for the foundation/charity.

The way I heard it was £15k (high break prize plus bonus for 147) for Wilson and £10 for the charity. Whether that’s just divided between the 2 players with 147s and the charity or whether any parts of it get doubled, I don’t know.

There is no 147 bonus at all now, as it stands wilson and bingham are sharing the 15k high break prize. 20k is going to the jenny may trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Two maximums already this week. I don't think there was ever three in one tournament. Can't recall it anyway. I think we will see another one.

Jaysus, 4 chances to win that frame Leo! What more did you want? Nice finish by ron, though.

Pity to see him get whitewashed but he really can't complain.

Two maximums already this week. I don't think there was ever three in one tournament. Can't recall it anyway. I think we will see another one.

German Masters a few years ago and a previous UK both had 3.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Pity to see him get whitewashed but he really can't complain.

Nah, he obviously did just go out with the intention of going for his shots and not die wondering. Just didn't get him very far. Should have won that 6th frame though.

The structure of this tournament is a bit questionable imo, not giving the amateurs much of a chance by pairing them with the top ranked. Open draw would be fairer i believe.

Advertisement