Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Wottle

Friday
    5 miles easy with the group, 10 minute miling, very enjoyable

Saturday
    Plan was 6 miles but just felt off on this, cut it to 4 miles.

Sunday
    Was hoping Saturday was just a one off, have taken it handy all week so as to have a bash at a 10 Mile TT, last one was in June, 72:30 ish.

Sth similar was the plan, set off at 7:15s for first 2.75miles (slightly uphill). Felt great and next 4 miles would be slightly downhill so started hitting 6:57s. Mile 8 slightly up was tough and when I started to feel it most, it was at this stage I started to think sub 70 was on, so couldn't afford to leak time, dug in knowing the next mile was very favourable (start of Rathfarnham 5k), mile 9 6:37 and the first time average pace ticked to 6:59.
    Last mile was flat by the Dodder, all out at this stage, mile clicked at 6:36, ran a few more steps just incase strava read it at 9.99 miles.

Result 69:36 for the 10 miles, 2nd fastest ever for me and only 18 seconds off my PB (set in the cityswift 10 miler 2002), this only dawned on me afterwards but mute point as I had no more to give as demonstrated by the post run puke.
    5 mile splits 35:21/34:15
    Absolutely chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That was a great 10 miler, well done!

Monday - Rest

Tuesday
    5 miles easy, HR (when working correctly) may have shown this was in the easy range but legs said otherwise. 8:40 pace.

Wednesday - Unplanned rest day
    Legs needed it, hamstring and PF just a little tender, some flexibility work done.

Thursday
    Brand new pair of legs, felt back to normal. Changed HR straps, my polar worked a treat, no stupid spiking.
    10 miles at an average of 74% MHR which translated to 8:20 pace, another nice confidence booster.
    Lots out walking and running this morning, great to see.

Friday
    5 miles easy with strides sprinkled throughout
    8:10 pace.

Saturday
    5 miles mostly easy 8:10 pace.

Sunday
    10 miles, 5 of which was on grass. Missed my time slot, just couldn't get out of bed. Went at lunchtime and tricked myself by saying I'll just do 5, really is the worst time to run, Marlay was jammers and traffic very heavy.
    Didn't enjoy it but its done.

Couple of observations, need to slow down on the easy runs, I'm normally good at this but HR strap causing a lot of grief.
    Secondly, can't believe how tired I still am after the 10 Mile TT last Sunday.

Finally, I definitely think I'm close to going sub 20 again, last time was Feb 2019, would be nice to finish the year on a high.
    I've kind of developed my own round numbers for the rest of the year:
    5k - sub 20
    5 mile - sub 33
    Half - sub 1:35
    If I can hit either of the last 2, that would be a PB, last PB was Dec 2018, feels good to be talking like this!

Monday
    5k easy with my daughters, a friend and a couple of other juveniles. We ran along the Dodder, far too busy, finished the run with strides.

Tuesday
    Nearly 6 miles easy, pace 8:40. Ran around the outside of Marlay Park, venturing in only briefly, again very busy.

Wednesday
    5 miles with strides sprinkled throughout, getting ready for Thursday's session. I do my strides roughly every mile and count 35 steps on my right foot, works out at 22 seconds, roughly 100m, approx 5:14 mile pace. Gave the cliftons one more go as watched a review on YouTube that said it can take some getting used to. Maybe I'm easily led but they did feel much better.

Thursday
    8 miles with 4 at half marathon HR (171-174). My first session since the 10 Mile TT, race calculator tells me that TT is worth 7:02s for a half. Very windy this morning and both the wind & rain coming in sideways on the oval 1 mile loop. I watched both pace and HR, it took a while to get the HR up and as a result I clocked 6:53, HR was bang on for miles 2 & 3 (6:51 & 6:54). HR slowly going up on the last rep, tried my best to control it 6:55.
    Really happy with session given the very early start and the wind.
    I went with the cliftons and loved them, perfect for this kind of session.

• Advertisement

Friday - Rest

Saturday
    6.7 miles at 8:40 pace for an easy HR effort of 148.

Sunday
    14 miles at 8:20 mile pace for the same easy HR effort as yesterday.
    Thrilled with this run as this is the pace/effort I was running back in May 2019 before my body packed in with Thyroid problems, been a long 18 months, feels good to be running well again.

October came in at 180 miles which is my longest in some time, think there was only 4 sessions in that mix and 1 time trial.

I've also signed up for the Hamburg marathon at the end of April 2021. I figure if any country can get the go ahead, it'll be Germany.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday
    5 miles easy, 8:31 pace, AHR 149
    I've reverted back to my oldest HR strap for the last few runs. It's the garmin hard shell one and it's perfect, no idea why I ever changed to the soft strap.

Wednesday
    6 miles with strides sprinkled throughout, six in total, one for every mile.
    8:13 pace, AHR 151

Thursday
    Was very excited for this session, last week's involved 4 miles at Half marathon pace, today would be 5 at Marathon HR effort and extending the run from 8 miles to 10.
    3 mile warm up down to the Dodder/Ely's arch where there's a very handy 1 mile loop. I was hoping to work at 165 to 169 but found it a struggle to get the HR up, blaming the early morning start for this. I was looking for paces to come in at about 7:25 a mile, based off the 10 mile TT.

Mile 1 - 7:19 - AHR 155
    Mile 2 - 7:16 - AHR 160
    Mile 3 - 7:13 - AHR 163 - slowly getting HR into the zone
    Mile 4 - 7:13 - AHR 165 - in to the lower range bracket
    Mile 5 - 7:10 - AHR 167 - on the money

Really enjoyed this and feel like I've had another boost of fitness. 2 mile cool down.
    Half marathon Time Trial planned for December 5th/6th, weather dependent.

Friday
    5 miles easy, AHR 144, Pace 8:30
    Nice early start for this, beautiful crisp morning and legs not too bad at all from the day before.

Saturday
    Just shy of 8 miles easy with strides. Was supposed to be 6 miles but gates in Marlay were shut, so just ran to the next gate and then the next until finally one was open. I had a few doing Time Trials, so watched that before joining in on the cool down and then home.

Sunday
    Was hoping to do 16 miles but finished up at 15 as a precaution. The fleshy/padding part of my right foot, under the toes gets quite sore, it's like a sock has creased up during your run and then the foot goes a bit dead. It normally starts about 7 miles in and I can tolerate it but after 15 miles this morning it was starting to get painful. Loosened the shoe and walked the mile home.
    It's a strange one as the foot is perfectly fine now and I know it'll be 100% ready for Tuesday's easy run but for the longer efforts, I'm going to have to figure sth out. I've had this for about 6 months. The hamstring that's been niggly for well over a year is showing signs of improvement. A few exercises from Ceepo, plus a foam rolling/flexibility routine seems to be the answer.

The run itself was great, 15 miles with 4x1 mile at half to full marathon effort off a 1 mile jog recovery. Everything was kept nice and controlled, no straining.

49 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Wottle wrote: »

Was hoping to do 16 miles but finished up at 15 as a precaution. The fleshy/padding part of my right foot, under the toes gets quite sore, it's like a sock has creased up during your run and then the foot goes a bit dead. It normally starts about 7 miles in and I can tolerate it but after 15 miles this morning it was starting to get painful. Loosened the shoe and walked the mile home.
    It's a strange one as the foot is perfectly fine now and I know it'll be 100% ready for Tuesday's easy run but for the longer efforts, I'm going to have to figure sth out. I've had this for about 6 months. The hamstring that's been niggly for well over a year is showing signs of improvement. A few exercises from Ceepo, plus a foam rolling/flexibility routine seems to be the answer.

Is it Morton's Neuroma?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Is it Morton's Neuroma?

It does sound like it according to Doctor Google. I've ordered a few running toe socks, to help separate the toes and hopefully ease the nerve. I've also relaced all my runners to give more room in the toe box.
    Have you come across it before?

As predicted, no issue in yesterday or today's run, just seems to be when I go over 8 miles, so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It does sound like it according to Doctor Google. I've ordered a few running toe socks, to help separate the toes and hopefully ease the nerve. I've also relaced all my runners to give more room in the toe box.
    Have you come across it before?

As predicted, no issue in yesterday or today's run, just seems to be when I go over 8 miles, so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not directly. My husband is pretty sure he has it. It bothers him when he's doing high mileage, to the extent that it can even bother him when walking if his shoes aren't supportive/cushioned enough.

He finds this helpful but, as I say, he hasn't had a diagnosis:

https://www.yogabody.com/awesometoes-global/

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Not directly. My husband is pretty sure he has it. It bothers him when he's doing high mileage, to the extent that it can even bother him when walking if his shoes aren't supportive/cushioned enough.

He finds this helpful but, as I say, he hasn't had a diagnosis:

https://www.yogabody.com/awesometoes-global/

Thanks for the link. Thankfully for now, I've no issue outside of running. Keep me posted if he sorts it out. Cheers

Monday
    Rest day from running but an hours worth of foam rolling, flexibility work and massage gun.

Tuesday
    5 mile recovery run, 9 minute miling for a HR average of 140, really happy with that.

Wednesday
    6 miles easy with strides sprinkled throughout, one for every mile. Legs felt a little tired. The reason for this could be that I've cleaned the diet up a little, less carbs on easy days.
    Pace 8'11, AHR 150

Thursday
    Session day, a few more carbs than usual the evening before and carb drink on waking.
    10 miles with 5x1k at 10k pace, which is roughly 4'09/10 based on 10 Mile TT off 2'30 jog.
    Splits came in at 4'07, 4'02, 4'03, 4'03, 4'05
    Felt really strong throughout, used the same loop as last couple of Thursdays, down by the Dodder/Elys Arch. Everytime I came round the loop, the colour of the sky became even more amazing.

I definitely had a runners high this morning. After 18 months of being below par and fearing sessions, there's no better feeling than running when fit and healthy, actually looking forward to sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi wottle, how do you find the massage gun compared to say foam rolling or rolling with a ball/sliotar (if you've tried that)?

It's time to to write my letter to Santa ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi wottle, how do you find the massage gun compared to say foam rolling or rolling with a ball/sliotar (if you've tried that)?

It's time to to write my letter to Santa ;)

I think it's great, I still use it alongside spikey ball and foam roller. Great for the arch of the foot, bottom of the calf and Quads. I'd recommend for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think it's great, I still use it alongside spikey ball and foam roller. Great for the arch of the foot, bottom of the calf and Quads. I'd recommend for sure.

Lovely, thanks.

Friday
    An hour of flexibility, foam rolling and massage gun.
    Didn't get out till evening time, much prefer the morning for runs. Bit of a so so effort.
    5 miles easy at 8:45, AHR 144. Legs heavy.

Saturday
    6 miles easy with strides sprinkled throughout.
    8:10 pace. Legs still a bit heavy.

Sunday
    17 miles in the wind and rain, enjoyed it and felt like I had a brand new pair of legs. Only issue was the chaffing around my testicles, made the last two miles a bit torturous.
    7:57 pace, AHR was 154.

Did a bit of research into morton's neuroma (uncomfortable pain and numbness in the ball of the foot and toes).
    https://youtu.be/Nw9ePmzn9To
    Followed the guidelines of this YouTube vid and also bought a toe spacer for painting toe nails, cut it to size and taped it in place, between toes 2&3. Also loosened the lace at the toe box to create a bit more room.
    Worked a treat, became a little aware of toes at about mile 14 but nothing became of it. Fingers crossed for future runs.

Monday
    More flexibility and stuff, badly needed.

Tuesday
    5 miles easy, legs were dead, my watch took a VO2 point off me for the effort :-)

Wednesday
    5 miles with strides sprinkled throughout, definitely still got some lingering fatigue from Sunday's long run. Should have been 6.
    My watch took another point.

Thursday
    Missed my early start for this, body refused to get out of bed. I was supposed to have a session but decided against it. Just feel I'm at a tipping point and don't want to go over it.

I read on someone else's log last week about them running up in Kilmashogue/Fairy castle. So I decided I'd do that instead. I totally underestimated how hard this run was, its been a while.
    Taylors Lane, up kilmashogue hill and up towards Fairy castle and turn down towards Glencullen and down Edmondstown Road.
    10 miles in total and all of it felt like a session.
    Run choice was a poor decision, the views were stunning though and my watch decided to leave me on the same mark :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Does your watch adjust your "VO2 score" after every run, regardless of effort ?
    Seems like a bad idea. Can it be turned off?
    What watch is it, so I can avoid?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Does your watch adjust your "VO2 score" after every run, regardless of effort ?
    Seems like a bad idea. Can it be turned off?
    What watch is it, so I can avoid?

It does, it's the Garmin FR 235. The number isn't exactly accurate but it's consistently inaccurate, if that makes sense.
    The watch doesn't tell you on finishing the run, you need to go in to "my stats" to check it.

I actually only track it as its been really good at mirroring my Thyroid levels.
    I'm not hung up on it for training paces or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Thursday's run ruined the rest of the week, my quads were battered.

Friday
    Enforced rest day.

Saturday
    5 miles easy, hoping it would go well and I'd still get my long run session in on Sunday.
    It did not go well, quads still screaming.
    8'35 pace, AHR 151

Sunday
    5 miles easy, didn't get out till late in the evening, had contemplated resting up but a bit of supplementary work had me feeling positive.
    The run went OK but felt so slow.
    8'55 pace, AHR 147

Monday
    Didn't have a great sleep, unusual for me, got up to go for a pee and just felt the legs were better, so headed out for just over 6 miles with a few strides sprinkled throughout. Much happier with this run.
    8'13 pace, AHR 149

A rejig of the week will have me doing a session Tuesday and Friday. One last push before tapering off for race week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That fairy castle run can really hit the quads and glutes for me also. I have done it about 4 times since the summer but each time I recovered a little better than the previous time.

That fairy castle run can really hit the quads and glutes for me also. I have done it about 4 times since the summer but each time I recovered a little better than the previous time.

I may have got carried away on one of the downhill miles from zip it down Cruagh Rd.
    Massive lesson learnt... I'll park in Kilmashogue carpark :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I may have got carried away on one of the downhill miles from zip it down Cruagh Rd.
    Massive lesson learnt... I'll park in Kilmashogue carpark :-)

Its a real battle of wits. I find, all you want to do is let the handbrake off on the downhill... 10/15 minutes of fun results in 2 days of pain though :)

Tuesday
    Plan was 10 miles with 5 of those at 170 HR, which equates to somewhere between half and marathon pace.
    Wet and windy and I had a dodgy tummy that I was praying would sort itself out. It didn't and had to cut the run short.
    6 miles with 4 at 170, pace was 7'15 to 7'25.

I was so irritated, after last week's stupidity, I needed a bit of a confidence booster.

Wednesday
    A little bit of pre run activation had me feeling quite springy. Decided to go with it and first mile came in at 6'53 (hilly one too). At this point I made the decision to do 3 miles solid and then relax.
    6'48 for mile 2 (uphill & flat), followed by 6'34 for mile 3 (flat/down/grass/short uphill).
    I then eased right off 7'31, my average pace for the run was coming in at 6'55.
    I've never run sub 35 for this route. I was feeling comfortable (knew I was working though), so picked it up without going crazy, 6'56 (flat/uphill)

5 miles in 34'47.

I had up until last week been very disciplined and following the plan but sometimes you just need a confidence booster and I got that today.
    It's 10 days out from the half, so timing is good too.
    Now back on script.

Thursday
    6 mile recovery run, Pace 8'53, AHR 141.
    Out early for this and nicely surprised to find Marlay opened, had the park almost entirely to myself for a couple of dark, crispy miles.

Friday
    Rest and stretching routine

Saturday
    New Pegasus 37 arrived, took them for a test spin as was going to wear them for Sunday's half, decided against it.
    2 miles with a couple of strides

Sunday
    Half Marathon Time Trial
    Brought this forward by a week, last week just messed everything up and could feel a little freshness entering the legs.

I had two rules for this Time Trial/PB* attempt.
    1. The course had to start and finish as close as possible to each other, Ballyboden roundabout will do.
    2. I would need to cover a 101% of the race distance to mimic the big races, so 13.23 miles instead of 13.1.

The route I chose was a fair route, not fast, not slow. I wanted to have the roads to myself so planned to start at 6am, woke at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep, so just read a little till 5:40am. Not the best start.

One concern I had about the early start, was applying intensity, would the body be awake and ready.
    The simple answer, was no. From my very first step I knew it was going to be a tough day.
    7'10 was goal pace which would give me a sub 95 over the 13.23 miles.

First 3 and a bit miles are uphill
    7'08, 7'01, 7'07

Felt like I was racing a 5k but HR said otherwise, holding between 170 & 172, so I continued to force the pace. Arm warmers came off at mile 4 and first gel at mile 5, those kinetica cola gels are delicious. Miles 4 to 8 are either flat or downhill.
    6'58, 7'00, 7'05, 7'07, 7'10

I'm still forcing it and havent found my rhythm at all. I have zero intentions of quitting but just didn't know for how much longer I could continue to push. HR still says everything is fine though, flirting between 172 & 173.

Mile 9 is uphill by Bushy Park and Terenure College, mile 16 or 17 of the marathon, took my 2nd gel.
    Mile 10 is downhill (start of Rathfarnham 5k), I had planned to push here, no chance and just waiting for the inevitable but trying not to fall apart.
    Mile 11 is flat and along the Dodder by Ely's Arch before turning back up towards Rathfarnham village, really tried to concentrate on form here
    7'20, 7'19, 7'10

Mile 12 had the most viscous hill of all up towards Rathfarnham credit union, legs finally broken and concede a little.
    7'41

Mile 13 is from the Yellow House pub towards Ballyboden roundabout, a long marginal rise all the way. My form has gone to tatters and I'm doing my best Paula Radcliffe impression, head bopping all over the place.
    7'36

Mile 13.23
    I had expected to finish at the roundabout, but computer said No and I had to turn left along Taylors Lane, was nice to feel the flat and the legs started to respond but too little too late.

Final Time - 1:35:29, Pace 7'13, AHR 172
    A PB* by 57 seconds. Of course it comes with an asterisk but I'm taking it, been 19/20 months since my last.
    Missed out on my A goal but given that I knew from the very start sth was missing, I'm pleased, especially mentally, to have pushed/forced myself around.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/gCnXPh2kObb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Nicely done! Definitely an honest route putting that hill in Rathfarnham in the last couple of miles!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Nicely done! Definitely an honest route putting that hill in Rathfarnham in the last couple of miles!

Cheers, I do like the route for its fairness and I'll use it for another attempt early 2021. I think if I'm feeling stronger next time, there's a nice chunk of time to be saved in the middle section and hopefully my collapse wont be as pronounced :-)

Monday
    Rest with a bit of flexibility, foam rolling and massage gun.
    Body was still quite sore.

Tuesday
    6 miles at 8'37 pace, AHR 146
    Legs surprisingly not too bad. One thing I've really got on top of this year is sleep, flexibility and protein intake, definitely making a difference. Normally after an effort, I'm not overly keen to get out the door running for a few days or even a week, so a good sign.

Wednesday
    Busy busy day, and was all ready to go at 7:30pm but my mam needed help setting up some new technology and it just got too late, no harm but totally avoidable if I had of gone at 6am as planned.

Thursday
    Out the door by 6:15am, was not going to repeat the mistake. I decided to extend the run from 7 miles to 10 to make up for yesterday. Run was just easy with 100 meter strides after every mile beep of the watch.
    10 miles at 8'15 pace, AHR 149

Nearly floored at mile 7 as a lad on a scooter came tearing around the corner. He was on the path, speeding, all dressed in dark clothes with no lights. I let a roar at him "Fcuking lights", a natural reaction after having the crap scared out of me. I had a quick glance back to make sure he wasn't turning back around to my direction, he wasn't and I could see he had no back light either.
    Still, a very enjoyable run and back with 5 minutes to spare before embarking on the school run with my two eldest girls.

• Advertisement

Friday
    5 miles at 8'00 pace, AHR 161
    Got a new toy to play with, not sure I need it but convinced myself I want it, Stryd.
    Run brought me over the 1500 mile mark for the year, not too bad at all.

Saturday
    Woke early. Exact same route as Thursday but this time I was using stryd only to calculate pace and distance, it came in with exact same total.
    Included 3x1 mile at half marathon effort off 1 mile jog recovery. Last effort was all uphill.
    Very enjoyable run.
    10 miles at 8'12 pace

Sunday
    Thought I was going to Marlay early with the camera to snap a few pics of a group TT and then off towards Bushy to catch the tail end of my wife's TT. None of which happened, paths were too dodgy and most of the gang opted for the grass.
    Decided I'd go late afternoon and time it to be back for Spurs.
    Stryd needs at least 3 runs to give you a CP number, so I wanted to mix this run up a little and was half thinking of giving a 5k a lash.
    Jogged up to the concert field and started into it, made my mind up after 500m I was going to finish at a K, very slippy, 3'52.
    Did a bit on grass before heading to a hill for 4x8 secs.

I'm really just messing at the moment, will have a bash at a few time trials between now and end of the year.
    After Xmas, marathon training for Hamburg.

Advertisement