Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kadman wrote: »

And use the necessary dustmask as yew dust affects some people as the belief is because
    its from a tree that has poisonous leaves and berries its not good.

[/url]

Nice job.
    My understanding from reading a Dept of Ag leaflet on animal deaths on farms is that it is the dead, dried out leaves that are poisonous.
    The other ones I recall are from licking busted lead acid batteries that are f**ked over the walls.
    copper poisoning from too many different animal feeds/supplements and not aggregating the copper content

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

it's the big robot lad from this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t9pyYwLhRw

Ha.Ha...yeah thats one cool dude:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kadman wrote: »
    And use the necessary dustmask as yew dust affects some people as the belief is because
    its from a tree that has poisonous leaves and berries its not good.
    i think the red flesh of the berries is not poisonous, but every other part is to some extent.

The Common Yew (Taxus baccata) is an ornamental tree. The taxine alkaloids contained in yew berries, needles or bark are poisonous. The lethal dose for an adult is reported to be 50 g of yew needles. Patients who ingest a lethal dose frequently die due to cardiogenic shock, in spite of resuscitation efforts.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010865014000952

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

and for anyone who has had loved one go through cancer docataxel the chemo drug was originally extracted from yews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Managed to finish the build of the wardrobes in my daughters room.
    Was fairly tricky as I had to do all the cutting,nailing,screwing and painting in the room itself as I simply had nowhere else to do it (Small house with no garden)
    It turned out alright, the wee one loves it so I'm happy with that. Couple of little things I'd do differently. Like just one drawers instead of two and perhaps use better hinges.
    I still have a mural to paint on the front but functionally its built.
    Pull down rail storage and regular rail storage inside. Should help keep the room tidy at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

seannash wrote: »
    Was fairly tricky as I had to do all the cutting,nailing,screwing and painting in the room itself as I simply had nowhere else to do it (Small house with no garden)
    It turned out alright, the wee one loves it so I'm happy with that. Couple of little things I'd do differently. Like just one drawers instead of two and perhaps use better hinges.
    Pull down rail storage and regular rail storage inside. Should help keep the room tidy at least :)

Nice job. Looks great, glad you did a cut like that above the bed to stop head bashing and it looks good too. Well done.

Nice job. Looks great, glad you did a cut like that above the bed to stop head bashing and it looks good too. Well done.
    Thanks man,
    Yeah its certainly needed. Plus the mural is of a mountain scene so the little cabin alcove should tie in. When she is older it'll become a desk space

Thanks man,
    Yeah its certainly needed. Plus the mural is of a mountain scene so the little cabin alcove should tie in. When she is older it'll become a desk space

Great jiob, will be tidy till she is a teen, been there with kids/grandkids :)
    What is the open door made from?

Great jiob, will be tidy till she is a teen, been there with kids/grandkids :)
    What is the open door made from?
    Its completely made from MR MDF except for the drawers inside the long door, they are done in birch ply.

• Advertisement

Cracking job, kids love a room to call their own.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

This is one of those posts where I wish we had more than a "thumbs up" button, what a great job - brilliant!

This is one of those posts where I wish we had more than a "thumbs up" button, what a great job - brilliant!

Agreed, and the we could have the reverse as well for some of the other thread!

Its a brill job

Agreed, and the we could have the reverse as well for some of the other thread!

Its a brill job

Ah thanks lads. Its been a few years since i got stuck into something of this size so I made a few silly mistakes but sure its always a learning process.
    Few other bits and bobs on the missus insta for the house

https://instagram.com/64chapelstreet?igshid=1ds3l9wrmrtu2

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Ah thanks lads. Its been a few years since i got stuck into something of this size so I made a few silly mistakes but sure its always a learning process.
    Few other bits and bobs on the missus insta for the house

https://instagram.com/64chapelstreet?igshid=1ds3l9wrmrtu2

Great job dude! A lot of work been put into that house to make it a home.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Great work all round - cool house, got yourself a new follower!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ooooh, that brings back memories! Building a "cubby-hole" bed (and room-divider) for my daughter in the attic room she shared with her brother, while both of them needed to use it every night. :D

We moved to a more sensible house before she became an untidy teen ... whereupon she asked for a new "cubby-hole" bed to replace the one she'd left behind! :pac:

Great work all round - cool house, got yourself a new follower!
    Thanks.
    The missus will be delighted with the new follower :)

Ooooh, that brings back memories! Building a "cubby-hole" bed (and room-divider) for my daughter in the attic room she shared with her brother, while both of them needed to use it every night. :D

We moved to a more sensible house before she became an untidy teen ... whereupon she asked for a new "cubby-hole" bed to replace the one she'd left behind! :pac:
    Yeah I might be setting the bar too high for the next one. I'm sure the enthusiasm will wane a bit :)

Finally got round to painting the wardrobe. Can call this done now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Finished this oak lamp tonight. Not sure the shade is big enough...
    followed a Paul Sellers project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

After a few months of slabbing, tiling & kitchen fitting, finally got around to making a few bits-planter & bird box for the war office :) Made from some spare plywood.

dg020fgl.jpg

tT7D0Pdl.jpg, TcH0sh8l.jpg

UkDc5DFl.jpg, 744CSq6l.jpg

nAPItH7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Any idea what timber this is lads? Wife is looking for similar made.

Spalted silver birch, maybe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a similar looking piece of wood before that someone claimed was olive ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Cheers lads, don’t need an exact match so those two will do for a starting point.
    Wonder are carpentry store going to open next week?

i ordered from them online last week, if that's any good? though if you need to eyeball wood before buying, i suspect that won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

bamayang wrote: »
    Any idea what timber this is lads? Wife is looking for similar made.

Looks like Olive Ash to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Finished this during the week. I had started it a few years ago, but got distracted. Fairly happy with it now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Made a new door for my workshop a few months ago. Made from Sapeale, pretty happy the way it turned out! First major joinery project.

EhBvcRnXcAYgQIM?format=jpg&name=900x900

EhTjqimXcAA-1L7?format=jpg&name=small

EhbCUrCXkAAJQ4S?format=jpg&name=small

EhkMLtVWoAIGsmm?format=jpg&name=small

Eh0zE6hXgAIX-yV?format=jpg&name=small

EiEQDHUWsAEucQd?format=jpg&name=small

Eim46AZWkAEQmOj?format=jpg&name=small

Ei8sufoXgAI73Lw?format=jpg&name=small

EjA-B-jWsAE8ybg?format=jpg&name=small

EjGvSBiWsAclu-m?format=jpg&name=small

EjQ9Q2-XkAYqVuS?format=jpg&name=small

EjexBQFWsAAC7tH?format=jpg&name=900x900