Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Paking Space

• 19-11-2020 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi. I have a property that has two spaces painted with the house number of the property. It's been like this since 2004. Management company now are telling me property is only allowed one space based on the type of house it is. Any advice on what I should do to respond as it's been like that for 16 years ! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Tell them it's been like that for 16 years and you don't accept the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Check your lease documents. That will have the legal information, will confirm what you agreed to even you signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NKELLY

Thanks for reply. Would it normally be captured on the Mortgage agreement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

NKELLY wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Would it normally be captured on the Mortgage agreement ?

Not mortgage agreement, but would normally be captured in the lease.
    How did the two spaces come to be painted with your house number? Does any other apt have two spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NKELLY

Thanks for reply. Where could I see the Lease? The two spaces were painted with the house number since the start. I recall I purchased the property off the plans that showed two spaces to that house. I can't see any other property in the estate with two spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I'd advise you to proceed with caution, and take advice before putting anything in writing, or even verbally to them. Even if there is only 1 space allocated, you may well be able to establish title to the space through adverse possession. Speak to a solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    As Caranica advised. The solicitor who acted on the purchase of the property should have a copy of the lease/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

As it's been >15 years, get a lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    As Caranica advised. The solicitor who acted on the purchase of the property should have a copy of the lease/B]

If you have a mortgage it is likely that there is a copy of the lease with your lending institution file. This may include description of your parking space and marked out on a map. You could make arrangement with the bank to read the documents in their office and obtain a copy if needed to futher your case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Diziet wrote: »
    Tell them it's been like that for 16 years and you don't accept the change?

The law doesnt work that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why are posters using the terms 'mortgage/purchase' and lease' in the same sentence? If the OP has a mortgage, he owns the property so it comes down to what is registered in the title. Which either does or does not show that he owns one or both of those parking spaces.

OP (per post #1) is referring to a 'house' so I assume we're talking about surface parking bays, not slots in an underground car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

coylemj wrote: »
    Why are posters using the terms 'mortgage/purchase' and lease' in the same sentence? If the OP has a mortgage, he owns the property so it comes down to what is registered in the title. Which either does or does not show that he owns one or both of those parking spaces.

OP (per post #1) is referring to a 'house' so I assume we're talking about surface parking bays, not slots in an underground car park.

Having a mortgage does not mean you own the property...I have a mortgage on mine and a 999 year lease from the management company. In the case of houses in a managed estate it's usually an easement rather than a lease. Either way it's a legal document signed at purchase with details of what the OP owns/has use of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Or it might very likely be a lease in respect of the unit and a licence for use of one/two identified parking spaces. Bless the spaces are within the elase’s demise, a licence seems to be more common in Ireland. In the U.K., a lease is more common in respect of parking spaces even where comprised in a multi-storey car park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Management companies usually only get to have a say when you don't own the property (or common areas attached to it).

Usually there's a lease for something when there's a management company.

Advertisement