Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher - parent contact (second level)

• 18-11-2020 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Given that physical parent-teacher meetings can't happen this year I'm wondering what alternative arrangements other schools are going with.

The 'advice sheet' issued by the DES (don't have a link sorry) lays out three options:
    1. An additional report with feedback but should include offer of a follow up phone call if any parent wants one.
    2. Phone calls to give verbal report and feedback
    3. Virtual meeting via Zoom or similar platform

In our school management are keen on number 2 or 3. Most staff are already feeling burnt out and exhausted by all the covid related changes and the resultant increased workload.
    The idea of having to phone or zoom roughly 175 parents (for the average secondary teacher) during the course of the year outside of school time (we must be the only bunch in the public sector that still actually does CP hours rather than just give them a nod and a wink) is just very unappealing. The vast majority would rather send emails giving feedback, with the offer of the follow up phone call for those parents who want one.

So what options are being used in other schools and what are teachers' opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Option 2 here. Subject teachers filled in a report with a comment. Students' reports were divided up between teachers for phone calls, based on base classes. Not sure how effective it was to speak about someone else's subject, but at least all subjects were covered and there was a verbal conversation. We had a form to fill in if parents wanted to pass anything on. The calls were done during the time originally scheduled for the PT meeting. Seemed to run smoothly but it may not work as well in a big school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Parent here, we were issued with a school report. Similar to what we would get at year end. Grade listed where applicable, positive points, where improvements are needed, how behavior is.

Maybe 3/4 lines per teacher. Short and to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

School reports in our school. My own child is primary school and we had a zoom call. While we appreciated it I don’t think I would like to do it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Alqua wrote: »
    Option 2 here. Subject teachers filled in a report with a comment. Students' reports were divided up between teachers for phone calls, based on base classes. Not sure how effective it was to speak about someone else's subject, but at least all subjects were covered and there was a verbal conversation. We had a form to fill in if parents wanted to pass anything on. The calls were done during the time originally scheduled for the PT meeting. Seemed to run smoothly but it may not work as well in a big school.

Sounds like an interesting approach. If it was done during a normal PTM time were there enough phones in the school or did teachers use their own phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A report is more than enough for most. No point in creating more work for so little gain.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    A report is more than enough for most. No point in creating more work for so little gain.

I agree and in fact during normal times most of the parents of students who you actually need to talk to on the phone evade contact. Indeed in my years in the profession I have found the face to face parent teacher meetings or phone contact to be of little gain for the vast majority of students or teachers.

But if school management push a staff towards the creating more work route in this situation do the staff have any right to say no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary here, we are ringing the parents. We are scheduling the phone meetings through Aladdin and using our own phones. That said, I did 3 calls yesterday and they took twice as long as face to face- took over 3/4 of an hour. I'm doing a few each morning/evening before the main meetings start.

But if school management push a staff towards the creating more work route in this situation do the staff have any right to say no?

Looks like they do now going by the latest ASTI directive https://www.asti.ie/document-library/information-notice-november-2020/information-notices-november-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Maybe Covid fever is setting in but I had hopes from this thread title it might be a bit more ,ahem 'interesting'!(Its got to happen !)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Some Principals acting the Gobsh1t regarding reports to parents in place of PTMs.
    No problem with compiling a lengthy report but some are then requesting teacher to offer a follow up phone call if need be........in teachers own time!!! So much for the Directive from the ASTI on NO ADDED WORK WITHOUT CONSULTATION.

Infact one teacher I know came up with a novel idea: if you have to phone a parent/parents use CP Hours for it.(of course the issue of using ones own phone crops up also) Sad to say some schools are still doing CP Hours!!!!! Other Principals are hoping that the various Levels are lifted before the school year ends so that they can lump them all together.THIS NEEDS TO BE TOLD TO THE VARIOUS UNIONS NOW AND STOPPED IMMEDIATELY.

Unfortunately,in these Covid times where people were supposed to be nicer and more caring towards each other the amount of teacher bashing is at an all time high.
    Double unfortunate are we that most of the bashing is coming from within,from Principals who do NOT go around wearing masks all day but sit in their offices or join Zoom meetings with their HQ to look busy and come up with some crap Form to be filled out or in this instance some idea to warrant teachers using their own time to contact parents outside the regulation hours with zero protection for said teacher.

Will those Principals COP THE FCUK ON and tell their Bosses in Ivory Towers to COP THE FCUK ON and for once stand up for the FRONTLINE STAFF MEMBER aka THE TEACHER.

Those Principals have being praised to high heavens as regards the MIGHTY job they have done in keeping schools open during COVID.....but what the Feckin Media do not see is the persecution of staff by these same individuals on a daily basis.By God some of these individuals mind themselves!!! and have taken time away since schools re opened in August but no med certs required if you are in power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Sounds like an interesting approach. If it was done during a normal PTM time were there enough phones in the school or did teachers use their own phones?

A mixture. Teachers used all available school phones and anyone who had free calls and was willing to use their own phone (with caller ID private) was requested to do so. Only a certain number of staff involved so that lessened pressure on the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Zoom meetings here. I ring any parent directly if I have an issue with a student during the year (and it's very effective in most cases) so the PTMs serve no purpose for me and are generally for the parents' benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Zoom meetings here. I ring any parent directly if I have an issue with a student during the year (and it's very effective in most cases) so the PTMs serve no purpose for me and are generally for the parents' benefit.

Totally agree, I think PTMs are a complete waste of time, if I have an issue I will ring the parent....and I assume if they have they will ring the school and organise to speak to me, the usual PTM format is a total pain as you never see the parents you really need to speak to.

Advertisement