Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying bras online

Options
  • 18-11-2020 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I never thought I would ever even consider this idea: I'd always prefer to try on a few bras and get measured too, if it seems necessary.

But these damn lockdowns are a pain in the you-kno-where and I suspect they may go on happening, and I need new bras.

So has anyone here tried ordering online? And trusting a home-grown measurement?

What might be a good place to order from?

Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Firstly, I cannot overstate how important it is to read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide

Then when you're done, get a measuring tape and measure yourself and enter the results in here: https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

Once all that is done, you're ready to go :)

I recommend Figleaves.com as a one-stop shop, and Bravissimo is also great, assuming they deliver to Ireland.

Other than that, once you have your true measurements, you can order from anywhere really.

I fall in between two cup sizes, and I generally find I order down a size for a material that has some 'give', like a non-padded bra or a soft cup material, and order up a size for a moulded plunge style that is quite rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FaithPages

Worst experience buying bras online.. and from all the different websites. Too small.. too big.. uncomfortable and all that.. I rather try in the store.. but it's hard now during pandemic :(

Figleaves.com is not so bad actually. but still I prefer to hold bra in my hands before purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bravissimo ship to Ireland, their own brand stuff is very good and they have a few of the big brands too. You can go on chat with them on their and they'll help you you get your size and style, think they do it over the phone or email too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thank you all, most helpful and useful.

Glad to know that it is possible to do, and may get a satisfactory result: all the advice shall be taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Bravissimo.com
    Pourmoi.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think i am just gonna hang on the 2 weeks. Sure if it comes to it ...until jan.

I mean its such a pain to send things back.
    HANG IN THERE GIRLS

I mean don't hang.

I think i am just gonna hang on the 2 weeks. Sure if it comes to it ...until jan.

I mean its such a pain to send things back.
    HANG IN THERE GIRLS

I mean don't hang.

Snort giggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've lost a lot of weight over the past year so I have had to buy bras online a few times now. Can't recommend the "a bra that fits calculator" posted above enough! It's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I also echo what Faith recommended above - knowing your exact size is vital. The "ABraThatFits" calculator is superb. I spent years going into different shops (i.e. Brown Thomas and Debenhams), making sure I got measured on a fairly regular basis - but I was rarely satisfied with the fit.

As an aside, oftentimes when I got measured in a shop, I frequently felt pressurised by the sales assistants to buy a bra there, even when the styles or prices didn't appeal (Has anyone else had this experience?) Since figuring out my size using the ABTF calculator, I now only buy my bras online, and I have a great choice of brands, styles and price ranges :)

Two online stores I've used in the past:
    Belle Lingerie This site have regular discount codes and have a great range of sizes and brands.
    Lingerie Outlet Store (with deliveries sent to Parcel Wizard/ Parcel Motel) I used to buy from this site a lot more than I do now, but I've noticed in recent times that they don't have as much stock/ brands as they used to. They also don't have as many discount codes/ offers/ sales as they used to.

I also recommend you buy using Paypal, as if you get free returns if the size/ style is not suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

You can consider online stores of Arnotts and Brown Thomas in this regard.

• Advertisement

Update: I DID do the "bra that fits" calculator and it came out rather different than any bra size I've ever worn.
    However I have such faith in you all that I ordered a new bra from Figleaves.
    (havent tried it yet!)

Also bought a couple from Marks & Spencer in the new size: from the shop but of course no fitting.
    I took them home and tried them on - wrong size!
    Brought them back - on the hangers, swing tickets and tags all still attached
    The lady at M&S was really helpful, listened carefully and swapped them out for the one she said would fit - and they do!
    Turns out I am now an E cup.
    The M&S ladies really are expert!

This has been an education; thanks everyone who contributed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well done for trying it! One of the downsides is it really opens your eyes to the variations in fits of bras depending on the style, cut, centre gore position, brand, the shape of your boobs (where they’re fullest) and a million other things. Unfortunately it’s not a guarantee of a fit. The Bratabase website can be quite helpful for checking out how certain bras fit, for future reference. Some brands run big, some small, some boob shapes don’t suit plunge, others don’t suit balconette, padded vs non padded makes a difference... it’s far from straight forward!

Advertisement