Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mellor wrote: »
    Promoted to purple tonight at the start of class.
    Hours and hours invested. Lots of competitions, a few injuries, some months in lockdown. But I beat blue belt blues.

Brilliant man, well done! Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Promoted to purple tonight at the start of class.
    Hours and hours invested. Lots of competitions, a few injuries, some months in lockdown. But I beat blue belt blues.

Welcome to the longest belt of all time :-P

It's a great belt though, you can still mess around with ideas and styles but you get more polished and figure out what suits you best. It's like the teenage years again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RoboRat wrote: »
    Welcome to the longest belt of all time :-P

It's a great belt though, you can still mess around with ideas and styles but you get more polished and figure out what suits you best. It's like the teenage years again :-)

Kinda hoping that blue will be my longest, 5 years.
    Although I lost 12-18 months with injury, surgery, covid.

Urgh, i know that feeling. Im still at white belt even tho i started training almost 4 years ago. Missed about a year in total due to asthma issues and other stuff, now covid has screwed me over as i havent trained since march. Feels like ill never get past white at this point, but feck it, one of the best things about training at 10th planet is i stopped caring so much about belts when you dont wear one :D Tho i turn 41 in a few weeks, and i have promised myself that come hell or high water, before i hit 50, im getting blue'd... that's achievable right, another 9 years? :D

Anyone watch Quintet 5 there the other week? Some great grappling on display, but bit disappointing as almost every match was a draw. The match between fatninja and haisam rida was great tho, if quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Urgh, i know that feeling. Im still at white belt even tho i started training almost 4 years ago. Missed about a year in total due to asthma issues and other stuff, now covid has screwed me over as i havent trained since march. Feels like ill never get past white at this point, but feck it, one of the best things about training at 10th planet is i stopped caring so much about belts when you dont wear one :D Tho i turn 41 in a few weeks, and i have promised myself that come hell or high water, before i hit 50, im getting blue'd... that's achievable right, another 9 years? :D

Anyone watch Quintet 5 there the other week? Some great grappling on display, but bit disappointing as almost every match was a draw. The match between fatninja and haisam rida was great tho, if quick

I trained on and off for the best part of 10 years before getting my blue belt aged 39.

Keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I got my blue by going to a grading (is that even the right word for it?) to see what they were like, so I knew what to expect when I figured I was ready to go for it, so you never know when it'll happen :)

Feels like ill never get past white at this point, but feck it, one of the best things about training at 10th planet is i stopped caring so much about belts when you dont wear one :D
    Where are you training 10th Planet?
    (Feel free to maintain your anonymity)

No harm in asking your coach... where does he feel you are and what does he feel you need to work on. Just make sure you let him know that you're not looking for your blue, you just want to see where you need to be and that you love the training. As a coach, I would have no problem if a student asked me this. It's also a fair question as you been at it for so long... if you were training less than a year, or just over a year, it's not something I would recommend.

Purple is generally longer, it's where you become a demi professor and you do a lot of learning.

I have gone back to a lot of things I learned at white and added them to my game. When I learned them originally, I ignored as they were not a piece of my puzzle at white belt, but I have since revised them and they have become a staple in my game... things like side guard, X / half X and DeLa Riva. I have a solid game from almost all positions and I have also cut back on aspects that I was heavily reliant on, such as electric chair from deep half.

I find myself getting into positions and rather than going for what I am comfortable with, I stop and work on aspects that I feel will progress my game, or give me new options. Rather than fighting to apply the sub, I am switching tact and using the opponents movements to dicate where I need to go with the sub.

I'm probably close to brown but I know my fitness holds me back. I have been working on this since the first lockdown. I know that if my fitness is better, I wont revert to my staples and my head will be clearer which will allow me to work my full game.

I know that statistically it’s about to be about 3 years at each on average. But brown feels more unreachable than purple ever did.
    I suppose because purples have always been regularly on the mats at most gyms. Where as browns are probably the least common belt I’ve seen.

My game changed a lot over the course of blue. Have an idea what I want to go with it now. Just have to get the time in to work the kinks at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Congrats Mellor! I don't really have much else to add in this post, it's just great to see people progressing :)

RoboRat wrote: »
    No harm in asking your coach... where does he feel you are and what does he feel you need to work on. Just make sure you let him know that you're not looking for your blue, you just want to see where you need to be and that you love the training. As a coach, I would have no problem if a student asked me this. It's also a fair question as you been at it for so long... if you were training less than a year, or just over a year, it's not something I would recommend.

Part of the problem im afraid, i have been at 3 different gyms in the 4 years! Spent about a year each in the first 2, and id be about 15 months at 10th planet now if it weren't for the 'rona :(

Mellor i'm at 10p in Fairview, Dublin, not that worried about anonymity :D

Mellor i'm at 10p in Fairview, Dublin, not that worried about anonymity :D

Cheers was just curious as on a recent instructional I was watching from a 10thP black belt I noticed a few irish accents.
    I was actualy in the fairview gym last christmas for 12 rolls of christmas

Cheers was just curious as on a recent instructional I was watching from a 10thP black belt I noticed a few irish accents.
    I was actualy in the fairview gym last christmas for 12 rolls of christmas

Ah cool, yeah its a great gym. Danny is absolutely sound and a great coach. Out of all the gyms ive trained at its definitely my favourite, which is weird cause i tried nogi a couple of times before and just hated the lack of grips and i didnt have my one and only go to move, the cross collar anymore :D But i wouldnt ever see myself going back to the gi now.

One of my coaches is hosting a 16 tournament in the gym. $2k for the winner and a cheesy belt.
    It’s open weight (or maybe 100kg limit) so not a hope I was considering it.
    But had a sneak peek at the competitors. First name, Robert Whitaker. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Next time they have a grassroots I'm going to register as Khazmat Chimaev in the hope everyone else backs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://eu.tatamifightwear.com/collections/50-off-black-friday

Just a heads up that Tatami have a black friday sale on. Looks to be loads of sizes in stock.

Model X Gi down to €45.50 and Elements Ultralite is €42.50.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, no BJJ this side of Christmas by the looks of it, not even little pod classes.

If the R number rises in late December, as many people seem to think it will, then it's hard to see January and February looking more favourable. We would presumably go from this modified level 3 to level 4 or 5 and then back down to level 3. Level 2 feels like it'll be a few months off.

At this stage I'd love to see the results of an anonymous poll on Facebook asking how many people are training at home / on the down-low.... I suspect it's a large, large number.

At this stage I'd love to see the results of an anonymous poll on Facebook asking how many people are training at home / on the down-low.... I suspect it's a large, large number.

Anyone here training? Secretly or otherwise

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://eu.tatamifightwear.com/collections/50-off-black-friday

Just a heads up that Tatami have a black friday sale on. Looks to be loads of sizes in stock.

Model X Gi down to €45.50 and Elements Ultralite is €42.50.

Not gonna lie, id wear the **** out of that Altered Beast rashguard :D ****in loved that game as a kid! Cheers for the heads up tho, i love Tatami gear, some super cheap hoodies and stuff there too.

I wish. Looking more likely now that i wont be training again til the vaccine comes out. The wife really doesnt want me doing anything, and i agree with her as much as it sucks, but with my asthma i cant take the risk. All ive been doing lately is the odd bit of drilling at home as a warm up exercise for a workout, and watching stuff like submission underground and polaris on fight pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

More than pre-covid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not gonna lie, id wear the **** out of that Altered Beast rashguard :D ****in loved that game as a kid! Cheers for the heads up tho, i love Tatami gear, some super cheap hoodies and stuff there too.

I'm seriously contemplating that Streets of Rage one, possibly the Golden Axe one too..

Well, no BJJ this side of Christmas by the looks of it, not even little pod classes.

If the R number rises in late December, as many people seem to think it will, then it's hard to see January and February looking more favourable. We would presumably go from this modified level 3 to level 4 or 5 and then back down to level 3. Level 2 feels like it'll be a few months off.

My gym just post that theyre back in business on FB... so i guess maybe if you want a roll leg it down to 10th planet before someone calls the cops on them :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My gym just post that theyre back in business on FB... so i guess maybe if you want a roll leg it down to 10th planet before someone calls the cops on them :D

Not sure if it's 10th Planet Dublin, but I saw they put up something like that. I assumed they were doing something that they consider is "individual training" rather than BJJ though?

I've seen people talking about workouts marked up on boards and people come in and do their own thing in marked-off areas. No worse than what commercial gyms are doing I would think.

Not sure if it's 10th Planet Dublin, but I saw they put up something like that. I assumed they were doing something that they consider is "individual training" rather than BJJ though?

I've seen people talking about workouts marked up on boards and people come in and do their own thing in marked-off areas. No worse than what commercial gyms are doing I would think.

Yeah 10p Dublin. I just saw the "were back!" post they did but it didnt go into specifics, i kinda jsut assumed that meant they were back to normal training. Tho honestly given the throngs of people in town now to do christmas shopping and go to restaurants and bars, i wouldnt blame bjj gyms for opening. Youre probably just as likely to pick it up walking down on Henry St as you would rolling with someone

We're not able to open up yet, that's the downside to using a community centre for training... I can't complain because the upside is that I don't have monthly rental (flat rate per class), insurance and overheads to look after, plus I don't have to pay whilst we are closed.

I'm itching to get back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a mma gym in galway i know is, but the lads there have a fondness for conspiricy theories so probably think covid is a nwo plot or some ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

a mma gym in galway i know is, but the lads there have a fondness for conspiricy theories so probably think covid is a nwo plot or some ****e

Funny, a gym very close to mine was doing the same thing. Head coach there was all over FB peddling the 5G-causes-Covid sh*te! He never closed and they were training daily during the previous lockdown.

A few lads left that gym and joined ours because of it.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Funny, a gym very close to mine was doing the same thing. Head coach there was all over FB peddling the 5G-causes-Covid sh*te! He never closed and they were training daily during the previous lockdown.

A few lads left that gym and joined ours because of it.

Hmmmm, I can probably guess the gym. I've had to do a lot of unfollowing and unfriending from reading some of the **** that certain people are posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My GF did the wimp2warrior which gave a good base so at least I have somebody to roll with. My covid belly is giving me some advantage though

My gym is back open but solo training only which means I'm working my stand up more than BJJ. All of my BJJ over the last 4 years has been nogi and I bought my first gi in February, worn it once...

Advertisement