Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Airport

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Why not call it an investment rather than pie in the sky - and that's assuming your contention is right which it may not be.

Is there any reason a Waterford hub facility for Dublin Aerospace (the company) couldn't wash it's face?

It would have to be one hell of an investment; runway to take 73x and 32x aircraft, associated hanger and maintenance facilities plus then transfer all relevant staff. Would it compete with greenfield costs in other countries? If not then it could not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well all I know is that Conor McCarthy of DA has a stake in the new development, and he is also non executive chairman at Stobart Group and Stobart Capital. Maybe he has something in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

roadmaster wrote:
    I think i read in a article last year Dublin aerospace are looking to move some work out of dublin to another airport. With the runway extension could waterford be an option? I know hangers would have to be built but i am sure a grant for that could be found

Mr McCarthy is one of the investors in this runway extension, who owns Dublin aerospace. Easy to add 1 and 1 together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Waterford seem to be a bit put out by all the criticism over the €5m grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/airport-runway-extension/index.htm

Planning permission sought for 2287*45m plus associated lighting/drainage/works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

b757 wrote: »

Planning permission sought for 2287*45m plus associated lighting/drainage/works.

Decision was due today. Anyone know why it's been pushed back another 4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

b757 wrote: »

That's a lot of runway for a small airport close to Cork?

That's a lot of runway for a small airport close to Cork?

We are talking about Waterford Airport here. Perhaps you must be talking about Shannon, which is closer to Cork Airport than Waterford is?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    We are talking about Waterford Airport here. Perhaps you must be talking about Shannon, which is closer to Cork Airport than Waterford is?

I was referring to Waterford but didn't realise SNN was closer to be honest.

What has/had Waterford going for it that would justify such airport infrastructure, hardly the training flights?

I was referring to Waterford but didn't realise SNN was closer to be honest.

What has/had Waterford going for it that would justify such airport infrastructure, hardly the training flights?

Absolutely nothing. Just like every other regional airport in the country. The regions they serve get access to mass aviation whereas the south-east doesn't. If you think that's fair, then OK. But let no one complain about sky-high dole figures in the region if investment is crippled because of poor access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

In flying distance terms the two are virtually identical, at about 55 nautical miles from Cork Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Absolutely nothing. Just like every other regional airport in the country. The regions they serve get access to mass aviation whereas the south-east doesn't. If you think that's fair, then OK. But let no one complain about sky-high dole figures in the region if investment is crippled because of poor access.

Waterford city centre is less than 2 hours drive from both cork and Dublin airports, one a moderate regional city hub with reasonable business routes to London and other European hubs and a decent shkelp of holiday routes. Dublin is connected directly to almost everywhere you’d want to go in the northern hemisphere bar some parts of Asia.

In European terms, Waterford is already well connected for air with access to ORK and DUB, a scattering of random flights to Luton or Leeds Bradford or wherever plus a few bucket and spade routes is probably the best case scenario for there and is that really worth the investment?

From a government perspective spending money on bypasses for dungarvan, castle martyr and a bunch of other towns on the cork Waterford road, plus getting rid of the midleton roundabout (or else just putting a full motorway in) would be fair better investment and make Waterford to Cork less than an hour drive, which would be to the full regions benefit.

Waterford city centre is less than 2 hours drive from both cork and Dublin airports, one a moderate regional city hub with reasonable business routes to London and other European hubs and a decent shkelp of holiday routes. Dublin is connected directly to almost everywhere you’d want to go in the northern hemisphere bar some parts of Asia.

In European terms, Waterford is already well connected for air with access to ORK and DUB, a scattering of random flights to Luton or Leeds Bradford or wherever plus a few bucket and spade routes is probably the best case scenario for there and is that really worth the investment?

From a government perspective spending money on bypasses for dungarvan, castle martyr and a bunch of other towns on the cork Waterford road, plus getting rid of the midleton roundabout (or else just putting a full motorway in) would be fair better investment and make Waterford to Cork less than an hour drive, which would be to the full regions benefit.

Yes, thank you for all that. Now let go. It's all been done to death.

Anyway, the question remains - what's the reason for the delay in the planning decision?

And despite all of the above, Waterford used to thrive... Until it didn't keep pace with the times and increase the length of the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There's so much to be said for the hassle-free process passing through a regional airport like Waterford instead of the queues and endless walk in Dublin, and that after driving a couple of hours to get there in the first place.

There's so much to be said for the hassle-free process passing through a regional airport like Waterford instead of the queues and endless walk in Dublin, and that after driving a couple of hours to get there in the first place.

Exactly, I always try to travel through smaller airports if I can 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Exactly, I always try to travel through smaller airports if I can 😊

I'd be the same if there's a direct route from my local airport (Shannon), but if there isn't from Shannon but there is from Dublin I'll make the drive rather than risk a connection and losing my bags or being delayed and missing said connection. Horses for courses.

Realistically there's only probably going to be flights to one or two of the big euro hubs and a bucket and spade route or 2, but a flight to LHR or CDG could make the difference in attracting foreign investment to the region. The airport itself might not be commercially successful but if it drives local businesses and leads to the opening of new factories / call centers etc then from the exchequer point of view it could be worth it. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

Advertisement