Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bezel replacement?

• 06-11-2020 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I have my dad's old SKX031, its from 1997 and he only gave up on it when it took an hour's shaking for it to last until he went to bed at night. It's never been serviced so I suspect the oils have finally dried out.

I had mentioned getting a new movement but he bought himself a modern kinetic dive watch and us happy as Larry.

Last year I had planned to refurb back to new, which would mean new bracelet (has a cunningly adjusted snzh bracelet currently), new bezel, new crown, new crystal (as current one is cracked) new movement and new gaskets.

Pretty much just the case, dial and hands would be original. I've sourced all OEM parts and now I'm having second thoughts.

What would you do?

IMG_20200905_105719094.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

When you say sourced - do you mean you've already bought them? Personally I'd check if this SKX model is in any sort of demand (in its original state) and if I don't have strong feelings about it I might sell it and get something else (if it's worth the cost of selling) or if it's not worth anything on the 2nd hand market then go ahead with making the modding/refurbishment.

Would make for a fun project too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Thirdfox wrote: »
    When you say sourced - do you mean you've already bought them? Personally I'd check if this SKX model is in any sort of demand (in its original state) and if I don't have strong feelings about it I might sell it and get something else (if it's worth the cost of selling) or if it's not worth anything on the 2nd hand market then go ahead with making the modding/refurbishment.

Would make for a fun project too :)

It's a popular skx for making a Rolex submariner homage - I've no interest in that or in flipping it. I've never flipped a watch.

I have all the parts to replace as new, but I think I'll leave as it and replace the broken crystal and ancient movement.

Advertisement