Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020

Options
  • 15-10-2020 4:42pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per title

Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 retoos

There are some incredible jobs. To gain too many about. It would be awesome if all shots were supplied with EXIF info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Maybe it’s the cynic in me, but one of those pics was taken in a circus, another in a sanctuary and a third has a monkey chained up, how could these be permitted as wildlife, the animals are in captivity and engaging/interacting with humans.

Maybe I missed the brief, for me , a wildlife image depicts an animal in its natural habitat....not in a controlled environment.

Yes, there are some good pics, I’m very pleased to see most, if not all, have very little photoshop done to them.

The night dive pic, is fascinating, if anyone has experience of diving, you are constantly moving and have to be very skilled or lucky to get an image of this quality, the traditional rules of photography don’t exist underwater.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

The rules state:

images must not portray captive, restrained, or manipulated animals, animal models, taxidermy animals, and/or any other animal being exploited for profit. The only exception is when reporting on a specific issue regarding the treatment of animals by a third party, in which case you must make clear that the animal was captive, restrained, a model or a taxidermy animal.

It seems there was a category called Wildlife Photojournalist Story Award which was won by the picture of the chained pig-tailed macaque ... so the shots of circus and chained animals presumably fall into that category.

Advertisement