Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

45 min pool session

Options
  • 13-10-2020 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

heh folks,

What is the best use of the time in the pool when you only have 45 min per session.
    I'm currently getting between 1700m to 1800m doing 200m intervals @2min per 100. 3 times a week
    Am I better off concentrating on technique and drills for the winter and hopefully be ready for when the pool go back to normal sessions.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

In the same position here - transferring from sea to pool in the coming days, and pool sessions limited to 45 minutes.

One thing pointed out to me was to do 5mins dryland warmup, and then 5min pool warmup instead of going straight at it.

Would be interested to see what people do with 45minute sessions, but would think it depends on when target race (if any) is on. For me, if racing happens it will be July, so will try focus on technique for the next 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you are best off not doing the same session 3 times a week.
    once a week is good.
    besides its not neccesarily either or techinque vs swimming ( every stroke in a way is a technique drill if you focus on it )
    at the same time you have to find out how you make sure that your technique stuff is executed correctly
    ie do you know what you need to work on vs you dont.
    and 200 meter intervals certainly not the best way to improve technique
    25s and 50s better
    overall one thing is clear there is not a one system works for everybody in swimming so you need to find out somehow what works for you. for some people swiming more works for some it donst for some people drills works for some is does not and for some nothing works .

and then of course you need to think where is your swim in relation to bike and run ie if you are a sub 60 40 k tter and sub 37 10 k runner than your swimm is your limiter if you are and 80 min cyclist and 50 min runner your swim not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

peter kern wrote: »
    if you are a sub 60 40 k tter and sub 37 10 k runner than your swimm is your limiter if you are and 80 min cyclist and 50 min runner your swim not the problem.

:eek::eek::eek:

Those are competitive times to be aiming for.

Nidot wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Those are competitive times to be aiming for.
    that was not the point i made, it was to look at the whole tri picture it just means you need to look where your swim is in relation to the other diciplines as at the end of the day what counts most is to go the fastetet way from a to b and not splits.

In the same position here - transferring from sea to pool in the coming days, and pool sessions limited to 45 minutes.

One thing pointed out to me was to do 5mins dryland warmup, and then 5min pool warmup instead of going straight at it.

Would be interested to see what people do with 45minute sessions, but would think it depends on when target race (if any) is on. For me, if racing happens it will be July, so will try focus on technique for the next 6-8 weeks.

something i take away from this year is that dryland swimming works well for me especially my third phase. so covid does have something useful ....
    and of course if you are serious about improving swiming you need to be warmed up when you jump into the pool dryland warn up cycling or running to the pool for a 45 min swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

Thanks Peter. ( did i see you come out of the water 3rd in the hardman )

I think the swim is letting me down a bit. I average around 33kph for the 20k on the bike and ran 19:35 for 5k (not off the bike and it nearly killed me).

dickidy wrote: »
    Thanks Peter. ( did i see you come out of the water 3rd in the hardman )

I think the swim is letting me down a bit. I average around 33kph for the 20k on the bike and ran 19:35 for 5k (not off the bike and it nearly killed me).

thats solid running
    the thing is unless you have some talent its not that easy to become a good swimmer with 3 times 45 min swims.
    so apart form my first post what you really have to think is it feasable to put more time into the swim or does it make more sense to focus to improve the bike
    the other thing is swimmng is more of a long term process so if you only plan to do tri for 2 years than thats not the best time investment if you think you are in for a long time then it would be a good investment now.
    but usually with most people unless you swim 5 times a week its not so easy to get into a swim grove. ( for some 3 swims a week is enough but its rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

peter kern wrote: »
    thats solid running
    the thing is unless you have some talent its not that easy to become a good swimmer with 3 times 45 min swims.
    so apart form my first post what you really have to think is it feasable to put more time into the swim or does it make more sense to focus to improve the bike
    the other thing is swimmng is more of a long term process so if you only plan to do tri for 2 years than thats not the best time investment if you think you are in for a long time then it would be a good investment now.
    but usually with most people unless you swim 5 times a week its not so easy to get into a swim grove. ( for some 3 swims a week is enough but its rare.

Agree totally with this!! To improve you really need to be doing 3+. I'm hovering around the 2 and im struggling to keep with my group but just managing it. When I put in 3 shifts a week it becomes easier

but as everyone mentioned, put the time into the bike and run will get you an overall faster time vs time spent training in the long run... and its fun overtaking all the swimmers on the bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

dickidy wrote: »
    heh folks,

What is the best use of the time in the pool when you only have 45 min per session.
    I'm currently getting between 1700m to 1800m doing 200m intervals @2min per 100. 3 times a week
    Am I better off concentrating on technique and drills for the winter and hopefully be ready for when the pool go back to normal sessions.

Thank you

Why not try a 400/300/200/100 x 2 one day, the next day 100's of a time x 10, 50's & 25's and maybe push yourself and another set could be paddles ' Pull buoy / technique work..breathing every 5 strokes etc......alternate...change it up but this depends on a lot of what you need to work on obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

Yeh i dont think i will get much faster doing 45 min long session so i might try get 3 in and not be to down on myself if i dont. if i miss a sswim i usaully add a run or bike sesh.
    Work , kids and triahtlons and a messy combination. just goes to show the work that the really fast folks are putting in.
    thanks folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement