Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to make my own electronic music

• 16-07-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been a lover of tehcno and 90s dance music well, since the 90s always listening. but I am always coming up with good tunes in my head, and would really like to try making my own music...... but I am not sure where to start.

Something cheap and affordable obviously considering I am just experimenting at the mo. Program I could use, or a reasonable bit of hardware that is not too pricey.

Any recommendations, or even a story as to how you started yourself would be really appreciated.

B
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Apple garage band with a few purchased loops is possibly the cheapest way as long as you have a apple device.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

krissovo wrote: »
    Apple garage band with a few purchased loops is possibly the cheapest way as long as you have a apple device.

No mate, no apple device :(

Thanks for the suggestions though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bazza76dub wrote: »
    No mate, no apple device :(

Thanks for the suggestions though :cool:

Just download a trial of one of the major DAWs (Ableton, FLStudio etc.) You'll be able to get a feel for what it's like to start producing and decide which works best for you.

mordeith wrote: »
    Just download a trial of one of the major DAWs (Ableton, FLStudio etc.) You'll be able to get a feel for what it's like to start producing and decide which works best for you.

Thanks mate, Ill give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Exactly. Both FLStudio and Ableton have fully-featured trial versions with enough synths, samples and fx to get stuck right in. Plus, there are literally hundreds of videos out there to show you where and how to start.

I've used Ableton for a while now, having switched from Cubase, but tried FLStudio too. They all do the same thing slightly differently, so it might be a good idea to try a few out to see which one you like.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Exactly. Both FLStudio and Ableton have fully-featured trial versions with enough synths, samples and fx to get stuck right in. Plus, there are literally hundreds of videos out there to show you where and how to start.

I've used Ableton for a while now, having switched from Cubase, but tried FLStudio too. They all do the same thing slightly differently, so it might be a good idea to try a few out to see which one you like.

Can I try these only using my laptop?

sorry for the stupid question, if I really like and enjoy it, I can buy hardware etc... going forward, and software etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can I try these only using my laptop?

sorry for the stupid question, if I really like and enjoy it, I can buy hardware etc... going forward, and software etc...

Definitely. All come with their own suite of synths, fx etc. Literally thousands of free VSTs available too. Start off with just the native ones though as it's too easy get distracted by adding loads of extras and not getting to the grips with the basics of production.

Definitely. All come with their own suite of synths, fx etc. Literally thousands of free VSTs available too. Start off with just the native ones though as it's too easy get distracted by adding loads of extras and not getting to the grips with the basics of production.

That is probably the best single piece of advice you could get here. There is so much software out there that will make things easier for you, but you really need to get the basics right first, and the built-in tools will be more than enough (along with online tutorials) to do that.

Get a feel for how to make a bass sound, or a lead. Add compression and EQ to it, play around with delay, etc. All these little things that may seem a little boring at the start because ultimately you just want to start writing music, but it will make a big difference to what 'your sound' sounds like.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this good advice.

I see people use Midi Keyboards a lot, am thinking of buying one too, is there one at a reasonable price for a beginner that you'd recommend?

Or what would be the piece of hardware outside of a PC or Laptop that you would recommend?

amazon have lots for sale, any you would recommend?

Obviously, the most cost effect (but at same time good quality) the better. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=midi+keyboard&s=review-rank&crid=3SJH2BZQ590XY&qid=1597089815&sprefix=midi%2Caps%2C144&ref=sr_st_review-rank

I have this one and find it fine for what I need. I'd love a bigger keyboard, but don't have the space.

To be honest, I'd say any of those you originally linked to should be fine (as long as the reviews are good) and you should definitely get one - trying to write any sort of music (aside from drums) using the computer keyboard or piano roll screen is a bloody nightmare and kills creativity.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    I have this one and find it fine for what I need. I'd love a bigger keyboard, but don't have the space.

To be honest, I'd say any of those you originally linked to should be fine (as long as the reviews are good) and you should definitely get one - trying to write any sort of music (aside from drums) using the computer keyboard or piano roll screen is a bloody nightmare and kills creativity.

Thanks Si, will keep that one on my watch list! appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 briankrieger

Ableton live and MIDI controller seems to be a good starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

totally free DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), no trial or catch, 100% free, ive worked with This and FL Studio, you can certainly make quality music with it,

https://lmms.io/download#windows

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DanT88

Hi all,

I have been a lover of tehcno and 90s dance music well, since the 90s always listening. but I am always coming up with good tunes in my head, and would really like to try making my own music...... but I am not sure where to start.

Something cheap and affordable obviously considering I am just experimenting at the mo. Program I could use, or a reasonable bit of hardware that is not too pricey.

Any recommendations, or even a story as to how you started yourself would be really appreciated.

B

I recommend that you start using the program Ableton . Either FL Studio is one of the latest versions of . One of these programs is best suited for writing . Each one has its advantages. I tried to write music myself. I started with these programs.

Advertisement