Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2019

1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I believe they're giving the anchor role to Isa Guha, he appears to be a victim of the quest for diversity. I think it's the wrong call, he had a few years left in him and will be missed by many.

I don’t mind Isa, she’s good in fact but she neither has the tv experience or playing achievements and playing experience of those she will replace. Whatever about tv experience I suppose but to be fûcking out Botham and Gower for her... that’s just piss poor and the viewer suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

According to the express

The broadcaster is also planning to introduce more women to their coverage and push on Ian Ward and Rob Key. Stuart Broad is also expected to make a fine pundit once he retires.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cricket/1178232/Sir-Ian-Botham-David-Gower-leaving-Sky-Sports-cricket-commentary-punditry-Oval-Ashes-Test

Ian Ward and Rob key do a lot of presenting for ODI and T20 competitions so it would make sense just on experience alone they get the nod over Isa Guha, who I've never seen present a programme. Maybe they'll make her do the T20 stuff or Womens cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

According to the express

The broadcaster is also planning to introduce more women to their coverage and push on Ian Ward and Rob Key. Stuart Broad is also expected to make a fine pundit once he retires.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cricket/1178232/Sir-Ian-Botham-David-Gower-leaving-Sky-Sports-cricket-commentary-punditry-Oval-Ashes-Test

Ian Ward and Rob key do a lot of presenting for ODI and T20 competitions so it would make sense just on experience alone they get the nod over Isa Guha, who I've never seen present a programme. Maybe they'll make her do the T20 stuff or Womens cricket.

That's the way it's gone on RTE too - except it's kinda half cocked. You have women pundits commenting on say hurling who've never played the mens game at a high level, so how much value can you put on their 'expert' analysis. But when it comes to the camogie, you won't see or hear a hurler as a pundit because they don't play camogie. I'm all for more women punditry in sports presentation and their analysis of their own games is very welcome but they should stick to that. Of course women commenting as sports journalists or fans is a different matter.

Apart from that, it was a disappointing show from several of the Aussie batsmen, particularly their openers. Whatever about scoring runs, at minimum they should be able to absorb a good few overs and just occupy the crease. They were getting out far too quickly and putting pressure on 3 & 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I will miss Gower, his punditry was a bit like his batting, elegant, laid back, but very effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I understand the decision. I felt Botham was too over biased and Gower was boring although had a decent sense of humour.

Nasser, Ath and Bunble would be my favs. I'd prefer Ali Mitchell over Isa although she's not bad. I like Key. He'll do well. Ward is a good presenter. I have listened to Broad do a few slots and he'll certainly do well. Comes across as a natural commentator and has the voice for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I understand the decision. I felt Botham was too over biased and Gower was boring although had a decent sense of humour.

Nasser, Ath and Bunble would be my favs. I'd prefer Ali Mitchell over Isa although she's not bad. I like Key. He'll do well. Ward is a good presenter. I have listened to Broad do a few slots and he'll certainly do well. Comes across as a natural commentator and has the voice for it.

Bumble is fantastic, entertaining, totally affable yet knowledgeable, speaking of knowledge Atherton is like an encyclopedia knows the game inside out, especially insightful I’ve met the guy a couple of times and found him to be in real life as he is on tv...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I see that The Sun, true to form, has published a very insensitive story about a family tragedy involving Stokes's mother back in New Zealand 31 years ago. :(

The predictable deluge of outrage has come from the usual suspects.

From the curious (as I was) this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was curious too and looked it up. I thought it very shoddy journalism, and completely unnecessary. Still, The Sun couldn't be any lower in my opinion even before today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm curious but I'm not looking it up.. screw the Sun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'm curious but I'm not looking it up.. screw the Sun

His step brother and step sister where both murdered before he was born. (Murder/suicide)

Disgraceful journalism and why on earth this is in the public's interest is beyond me.

****ebags of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's the way it's gone on RTE too - except it's kinda half cocked. You have women pundits commenting on say hurling who've never played the mens game at a high level, so how much value can you put on their 'expert' analysis. But when it comes to the camogie, you won't see or hear a hurler as a pundit because they don't play camogie. I'm all for more women punditry in sports presentation and their analysis of their own games is very welcome but they should stick to that. Of course women commenting as sports journalists or fans is a different matter.

Apart from that, it was a disappointing show from several of the Aussie batsmen, particularly their openers. Whatever about scoring runs, at minimum they should be able to absorb a good few overs and just occupy the crease. They were getting out far too quickly and putting pressure on 3 & 4.
    Agree totally-BBC are same. Seem to moving towards a woman on every panel. Ive started switching off when I see it. These women have never played at the level theyre analysing so theyve no more right to be on than a very good amateur player. If its a panel of journos then yes, have women on based on merit. I like women presenters-i prefer Joanne Cantwell on the GAA than Michael Bland Lester, and I think Gabby Yorath is good too.

at the risk of getting shot, I just dont like the sound of a womens voice on commentary-too shrill. I just cant relax listening to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

harpsman wrote: »
    Agree totally-BBC are same. Seem to moving towards a woman on every panel. Ive started switching off when I see it. These women have never played at the level theyre analysing so theyve no more right to be on than a very good amateur player. If its a panel of journos then yes, have women on based on merit. I like women presenters-i prefer Joanne Cantwell on the GAA than Michael Bland Lester, and I think Gabby Yorath is good too.

at the risk of getting shot, I just dont like the sound of a womens voice on commentary-too shrill. I just cant relax listening to one.

I really like Isa Guha and think that she's an excellent cricket commentator. Certainly she's light years ahead of some of the complete gobsh1tes who commentate with her on the IPL.

But I'd have preferred Sky to have gone with Ebony Rainford Brent who, whenever I heard her, was a cracking analyst and excellent commentator, although possibly too well qualified for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There's no ODI series this ashes? That's a shame. Was always a nice way to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No time for that, the world cup took up half the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Australia are back in July next year for 3 T20s and 3 ODIs - https://www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/19496/australia-in-england-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Portsalon wrote: »
    I see that The Sun, true to form, has published a very insensitive story about a family tragedy involving Stokes's mother back in New Zealand 31 years ago. :(

The predictable deluge of outrage has come from the usual suspects.

From the curious (as I was) this is it.

Disgraceful journalism, this is not quite as bad as the Gareth Thomas situation where a journalist told his parents he had HIV before he had the chance to do so himself, but still utterly disrespectful!

Advertisement