Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wiring oven and hob?

Options
  • 23-11-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

QQ as I've received conflicting info on this.

I need to wire up a new integrated oven and a separate integrated electric hob.

Plan is to run a 6 square twin & earth from the board which will be on a 32AMP RCBO / breaker.

This 6 square will feed a cooker switch.
    The tail/load of the cooker switch will go into a junction box behind the kitchen units.
    The cables then leading from the oven and job will be joined together in connectors with the 6square in the junction box.

Would this satisfy installation requirements withint he current regs ?

I've heard feedback of:
    a) Both appliances need separate 6sq supplies
    b) One supply is fine, but they need two separate switches (so the supplies can be "linked" out.

Would (A) and/or (B) be required or is my explanation above sufficient?

Comments

From the 2008 regs,
    has this changed ? I dont know.

In domestic and similar installations, an isolating device for a cooking appliance shall not be mounted either
    directly above or behind the appliance.
    Where the oven and hob are separate appliances, a common supply and isolator may be used provided:
    - each appliance is within 2m of the switching device, and
    - the fault-loop impedance value for each cable is sufficiently low to ensure the conect (sic) operation of the overcurrent
    protective device in accordance with 4 1 1 .3 and Chapter 61.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

From the 2008 regs,
    has this changed ? I dont know.

In domestic and similar installations, an isolating device for a cooking appliance shall not be mounted either
    directly above or behind the appliance.
    Where the oven and hob are separate appliances, a common supply and isolator may be used provided:
    - each appliance is within 2m of the switching device, and
    - the fault-loop impedance value for each cable is sufficiently low to ensure the conect (sic) operation of the overcurrent
    protective device in accordance with 4 1 1 .3 and Chapter 61.

None of the above would have changed its mostly common sense anyhow

Strictly speaking on cable sizing and single isolator no-one can say for definite without knowing the cooking loads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Don't the ovens usually come with a plug top? what is the kW? Would you not be better off running 6mm^2 for the hob, and a 2.5mm^2 (If its normal size) for the oven.

Separate Isolators, separate supplies. Getting messy with J.Bs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yep the oven has a 3-pin plug top so I think 2.5 supply for that from the board will suffice.

I'll go with a 6-square for the hob then and a 2.5 for the oven.

Thanks folks!

Yes, because you don't want a situation of a 2.5mm2 Cable protected by a 32amp MCB.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Yes, because you don't want a situation of a 2.5mm2 Cable protected by a 32amp MCB.

Could I just have a single socket behind the oven which is fed by the load of the cooker switch, and then utilise the 13a fused plug of the oven?

Id keep it seprate circuits.

If you use a 32amp RCBO, wire the socket in 6mm2 I couldn't see anything wrong, you'll have fun trying to get 2 6mm^2 into one terminal on the load side of the cooker switch?

I was thinking of having a 6mm2 load go to the hob and then a 2.5mm2 load go to a socket behind the oven. Then plug the oven into said socket?

You now have a section of 2.5mm^2 on a 32amp MCB not ideal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

How about a fused spur for the oven section?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Fine once wired in 6mm^2 to the spur.

If you can run a seprate supply it really the better option.

So a 2.5mm2 from board to spur with a 13A fuse (fuse varied dependant on oven max load). Then supply a single socket behind the oven and plug it in there.

A 2.5mm^2 cable from the board to a 20amp isolator dp switch, to a single socket behind the oven. The oven will plug into the socket (It will have its own fuse in the plugtop) no need for a spur outlet.

Ideal. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Double check the load required by the hob some of them now require 10sq in fact any new installations we do now we always run 10sq for the hob to allow for any changes in the future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

EHP wrote: »
    Double check the load required by the hob some of them now require 10sq in fact any new installations we do now we always run 10sq for the hob to allow for any changes in the future.

Yes, many induction hobs require this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Short bits connecting a load I think are ok

MCB/Fuse in relation to cable size, Its as simple as that for me.

Anyway the in art of terminating, I wouldn't be a fan of putting a 2.5mm^2 in with a 6mm^2.

So if the oven comes with a 13amp fuse in the plug, that should provide the overload protection, right?
    Or a 13amp fuse in a spur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

MCB/Fuse in relation to cable size, Its as simple as that for me.

Anyway the in art of terminating, I wouldn't be a fan of putting a 2.5mm^2 in with a 6mm^2.

It's common enough to use smaller cables than the fuse rating to connect loads

Different matter upstream on a circuit where the cable could be overloaded

• Advertisement

Pasteur. wrote: »
    It's common enough to use smaller cables than the fuse rating to connect loads

Different matter upstream on a circuit where the cable could be overloaded

Its common when its after being designed and calculated correct, like control or power distribution panels with tri-rated flex for very sort links etc.

I wouldn't use anything less than 4mm HR flex from a C.C.U its good for 37Amps open to air. If you ask me its just laziness and poor workmanship using 2.5mm^2 even a single 2.5mm^2 pvc/pvc even allowed to carry 32amps in ET-101?

Advertisement