Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VOAT - The Sea, The Sea!

• 17-11-2020 12:59pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Citizen trout, is chomping at the bit for a VOAT, so I said I'd join him.

The topic is, as stated above, The Sea.

Entries in whatever genre you want & whatever creative form
    • Poems
    • Flash fiction
    • Short Stories
    • Essay
    • Scripts

Or whatever the creative writing term for mixed-media is

RULES

1. You have until the end of November to send me your piece via DM
    2. As short as you like but try to keep it under 2000 words for prose. Probably best not to have an epic poem.

Who's in?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

VOAT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »
    VOAT?

variations on a theme
    here's a random previous one
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966372

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's a mini writing competition, just for fun and to give people* who need a deadline to write to an arbitrary one.

*me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, thanks. Yeah sounds like fun and as luck would have it have been mulling over a small, throwaway scene set at the beach. Only sticking point is I have a 4-week old newborn currently dominating attention, so my ability to contribute might be non-existent. I'd like to say "yeah!" with the caveat that all things being equal, I won't submit aything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

I'm in!

In the VOAT for sure ... sea, not so much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give it a go. :)

Ah, thanks. Yeah sounds like fun and as luck would have it have been mulling over a small, throwaway scene set at the beach. Only sticking point is I have a 4-week old newborn currently dominating attention, so my ability to contribute might be non-existent. I'd like to say "yeah!" with the caveat that all things being equal, I won't submit aything :)

Congratulations! Ah that’s brilliant

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Congratulations! Ah that’s brilliant

Thanks! Spare time and hobbies have evaporated for the time being; plus even if I find time to scribble my idea, the sleep deprivation might make the end result ... interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Count me in. I haven’t written much this year and with the sea is outside my 5k zone I will have to rely on memory to come up with something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Gale

I've got one. But it's horror – its not going to lift your spirits in anyway, I don't think. Tell you what I will message it on but don't paste it up if you think it's a bit too rough

Gale wrote: »
    I've got one. But it's horror – its not going to lift your spirits in anyway, I don't think. Tell you what I will message it on but don't paste it up if you think it's a bit too rough

Everything is welcome.

Still nearly a week to go and we already have 2 entries.

Oh god, is November nearly over? November is nearly over.

I managed ... *checks* 115 words. Ah well.

Oh god, is November nearly over? November is nearly over.

I managed ... *checks* 115 words. Ah well.
    It’s longer than one of the entries!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I really want to write something new for this! I haven't written a short story since one of the earlier VOATs yeeeeaaarrrrrrrs ago. That one didn't get a great reaction, if I remember correctly. :O

But if everything goes pear-shaped I'll have to throw in a new edit of an old poem instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

Jayziz ... I'd better get started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

trout wrote: »
    Jayziz ... I'd better get started
    What's the hurry? We have until midnight tonight, don't we?

Thanks to all who have entered.

I’m going to extend the deadline to Friday because I won’t be able to post them until Saturday as I underestimated how much I have on this week!

So trout & Insect Overlord ye still have time :D

So trout & Insect Overlord ye still have time :D

Thanks! I was too embarrassed to ask for an extension over the weekend. :O

• Advertisement

*cracks whip*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Okay, next time I'll try it.

Sorry I couldn't contribute in the end, but life kept intervening. Will take a look at the entries though, well down to the three!

Sorry I couldn't contribute in the end, but life kept intervening. Will take a look at the entries though, well down to the three!

I remember having a newborn. I'm surprised you even considered it!

I remember having a newborn. I'm surprised you even considered it!

I'm going through anxiety because my firstborn is due in the spring. Does that count as a reasonable excuse? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Just read all three, really good, many thanks to everybody who submitted and well done. I’ve voted but it’s more a case of which one plucked my heart then any of them being better or not as good.

Advertisement