Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland announce contracts for 2021

• 20-10-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Can anyone explain what the logic might be behind Gary Wilson getting a central contract for 2021? He most certainly doesn't deserve it on merit.

His run of form has been so horrendously bad the past year, that he doesn't even deserve to be given one of the newly named retainer contracts.

Personal friend of Andrew White can be the only explanation.
    Anyone care to differ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Tweeter wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what the logic might be behind Gary Wilson getting a central contract for 2021? He most certainly doesn't deserve it on merit.

His run of form has been so horrendously bad the past year, that he doesn't even deserve to be given one of the newly named retainer contracts.

Anyone care to differ?

No. I have had a few things to say about Gary Wilson, aka Walking Wicket. Defies logic for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Tweeter wrote: »

Anyone care to differ?

I get that they want a bit of experience around and that no replacement has shone out but he's well past it and it would surely make more sense to get a younger player used to the squad environment than a 34 year old clogging up progression.

The friendship thing has definitely been an issue, there have been a few people around that have probably been involved for too long now and need to move on. We won't know if people can step up if they never get the chance to get matches under their belt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The only thing is we have nobody to replace him. I'm still not cinvinvced by Tucker, although I do think Tucker is number 1 keeper. I think Tucker's keeping abilities are better and he's a marginally better batsman. Tucker still has a job to do to cement his place. I also don't know who else there is. In an ideal world we'd have 4 teams, 2 based in Dublin and 2 in the North, and we'd have Tucker keeping for one team, let's say Leinster, and Doheny keeping for the other, Southern Reds or Dublin or something. If Doheny would keep at IP level then a lot of things start falling in to place and he gets elevated right in to the fray for selection.

I think Neil Rock is a little bit off but he has massive potential, as does Will Smale. Rumours of Stuart Poynter returning to Ireland to play. Maybe he's better than Wilson but it's only rumours.

BOHtox wrote: »
    The only thing is we have nobody to replace him. I'm still not cinvinvced by Tucker, although I do think Tucker is number 1 keeper. I think Tucker's keeping abilities are better and he's a marginally better batsman. Tucker still has a job to do to cement his place. I also don't know who else there is. In an ideal world we'd have 4 teams, 2 based in Dublin and 2 in the North, and we'd have Tucker keeping for one team, let's say Leinster, and Doheny keeping for the other, Southern Reds or Dublin or something. If Doheny would keep at IP level then a lot of things start falling in to place and he gets elevated right in to the fray for selection.

I think Neil Rock is a little bit off but he has massive potential, as does Will Smale. Rumours of Stuart Poynter returning to Ireland to play. Maybe he's better than Wilson but it's only rumours.

The keeping thing with Stephen is tricky because he doesn’t keep at club level. Poynter would be great to have back and would provide some meaningful competition for Tucker if he plays as well as he can, but he hasn’t always performed at his best for Ireland. Smale is probably closer than people think because he’s northern based and they like their unofficial quota (probably another reason Wilson has his contract) Pebbles needs a bit more time but has probably the most potential out of all of them. Nathan McGuire might be another option, he kept all the way up before suddenly becoming a bowler.

Two weeks before we are due to travel to the UAE for a series and we don't know who if we're playing Bangladesh or is it a tri series with Netherlands and UAE or is it even on at all?

I'd give my left arm for some cricket.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    Two weeks before we are due to travel to the UAE for a series and we don't know who if we're playing Bangladesh or is it a tri series with Netherlands and UAE or is it even on at all?

I'd give my left arm for some cricket.

Apparently the big issue is that Cricket Ireland don’t want to pay for three weeks stay.

Doheny just signed for Merrion which is good. Hopefully that means he gets to keep at club level. A 4th IP team would mean he would get to keep at IP level too which would be great for his game and really elevate him in to the Ireland team.

Advertisement