Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid safe job?

• 07-02-2021 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a covid safe job?

Worked briefly in a place last summer where face masks weren't being worn. The advice back then was social distancing. But that didn't make sense to me, we're all coming in, mixing and going home and mixing again. While people in shops wear masks. My concerns were dismissed while management going around wearing face masks themselves but just not the workers. When starting the job I was told that face masks would be provided but what they failed to tell me when starting was they were only thinking about face masks at that stage but just hadn't actually brought them in yet. That was last August, 6 months into the pandemic. I left the job.

I got another job soon after but this time with face masks. The problem with this job, people dress up for work without wearing face masks with a packed changing area. The workplace has done very little, as one shift finishes, another is going in at the same time, there's no minimising workers. There's no staggering if shifts, there's no staggering of break times, so we're all packed into a changing area at the same time before and after breaks. My concerns are dismissed again in this job.

I'm just not safe in my job. And I'm applying for jobs. But what's the point. They all seem the same to me at this stage and my health is at risk.

Is it worth changing jobs again?

Comments

A lot of office jobs are 100% from home now. We got a rake of new staff a couple months ago and they just had to come in to pick up a laptop, and then they were trained in from home and work from home. For those who want and need to come into the office, for example, if they don't have a room to work from at home, they're given a safety course, have to work only from their own desk, and they're given a pack of safety items (mask, wipes, hand sanitiser, one of those tools for opening handles without touching them). I'd say that's as safe as it gets.

As for whether it's worth changing jobs, you're the only one who can decide that.

There undoubtedly is..... Essential retail has shown this. Also manufacturing like pharma & med device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I had to visit an office yesterday and no one was wearing masks there. I asked what is their company policy on masks, and was told everyone must wear masks. Yet no one was wearing them...

It is truly mind boggling than over a year into this pandemic there are so many people who still can't grasp what's going on.

So to answer your question, I think the only "covid safe jobs" are where you work from home, as there are too many idiots out there ruining things for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I had to visit an office yesterday and no one was wearing masks there. I asked what is their company policy on masks, and was told everyone must wear masks. Yet no one was wearing them...

It is truly mind boggling than over a year into this pandemic there are so many people who still can't grasp what's going on.

So to answer your question, I think the only "covid safe jobs" are where you work from home, as there are too many idiots out there ruining things for everyone.

We don’t have a compulsory mask policy in our office - it is not required as long as proper social distancing is implemented.

C3PO wrote: »
    We don’t have a compulsory mask policy in our office - it is not required as long as proper social distancing is implemented.

Proper social distancing, if you go by the science, is around 4 metres though, and you have to avoid the area around your colleague for about 4 hours.

Are you all sitting 4 metres apart and avoiding close contact all day?

EDIT to add some sources:
    Virus was widely distributed on floors, computer mice, trash cans, and sickbed handrails and was detected in air ≈4 m from patients.
    SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Proper social distancing, if you go by the science, is around 4 metres though, and you have to avoid the area around your colleague for about 4 hours.

Are you all sitting 4 metres apart and avoiding close contact all day?

EDIT to add some sources:

There is more and more evidence that C-19 is not being transmitted on surfaces to any great extent. While not impossible you are extremely unlikely to catch the virus if distances of 2 meters are maintained. Personally, I will take the chance rather than sitting in a mask all day.

C3PO wrote: »
    There is more and more evidence that C-19 is not being transmitted on surfaces to any great extent. While not impossible you are extremely unlikely to catch the virus if distances of 2 meters are maintained. Personally, I will take the chance rather than sitting in a mask all day.

Sure, but the links I provided show the aerosols remain in the air for hours and spread more than 2 metres.

I 100% agree sitting there in a mask is crap, but you should move a few more metres away if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

OP - are you morbidly obese, breathing difficulties, CPAP user, heart issues etc etc? And more importantly are you 84 years of age? If no to the above then rock on with life as the statistics that are freely available for you to read on the nphet website state quite clearly that you won't die from covid. It will be an interesting wash up in a few years time when they roll back the death rates and reclassify all the covid deaths. I personally know of 1 terminally ill cancer and 1 heart attack victim that both supposedly died from Covid as they were positive in their last days. Wash your hands, wear a mask yada yada. Or listen to all the doom and gloom and stay at home.

Advertisement