Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going MultiSat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If I get a chance later, I'll put a 60cm dish on a tripod and see what the meter tells me.
    Like I said, I had success with a 80cm dish a couple of years ago, and the footprint hasn't changed any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

try going on to satbeams.com

click on 30w you have choices of satellites then click on your location to get the recommended dish size.

at my location here in cork

hispasat 1d 70cm
    hispasat 1e 60cm

I posted a link for Satbeams earlier in the thread too.
    I am seeing 55cm and 60cm in the Dublin area for those sats.
    But it does pay to err on the side of caution and go one size up I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

excollier wrote: »
    I posted a link for Satbeams earlier in the thread too.
    I am seeing 55cm and 60cm in the Dublin area for those sats.
    But it does pay to err on the side of caution and go one size up I guess.

i cant get satbeams to work properly.. i can select 30w.. but where do i put in my own address?

You don't you just click on the map in your area, zoom in to it first for more accuracy.

• Advertisement

It should, try it and see.

Thanks

Says 60cm will do the job... :)

now the question is.. which direction is 30w compared to say 28 E?

I'll get the dish installed by the guy who did my t90.. but im just wondering if it will be ok mounted on the back of my house (rough direction wise)?

Swing the dish approximately 60 degrees to the right as you stand behind the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

google dishpointer

put in your location and satellite name

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

If I get a chance later, I'll put a 60cm dish on a tripod and see what the meter tells me.
    Like I said, I had success with a 80cm dish a couple of years ago, and the footprint hasn't changed any.

it IS entirely possible that, due to my own ineptitude, it is possible to receive it on a 60cm dish !!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I hope so cause Id happily drop 4.8e from my T90 and throw up a 60cm dish for 30w instead !

anyways, looking forward to being proved wrong :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If you look on my opening post on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056020003

you will see my ex sky dish looking at 30 west. Had no problems in Mayo with that setup, even in the rain.

The only problem with a sky dish is the skew on the lnb. On the older dishes the skew was limited for easterly satellites. I had to use brut force on that older sky dish to skew it for 30 west (Opposite direction). Newer sky dishes that can skew 360 degrees shouldn't have that problem.

• Advertisement

You may just have saved me a job!

snaps wrote: »
    If you look on my opening post on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056020003

you will see my ex sky dish looking at 30 west. Had no problems in Mayo with that setup, even in the rain.

The only problem with a sky dish is the skew on the lnb. On the older dishes the skew was limited for easterly satellites. I had to use brut force on that older sky dish to skew it for 30 west (Opposite direction). Newer sky dishes that can skew 360 degrees shouldn't have that problem.

happy days if its working.
    Im a bit confused though looking at your photo and diagram.
    In the photo you say the ex sky dish is 30w but in the diagram its seems to be marked as 28.2 fixed.
    Or have i ballsed that up as well ???

The Sky dish is definitely the one pointing at 30w in that photo.

cant wait till someone can confirm 100% 30w WILL work with a 60cm sky dish, Ive found a cheap brand new one nearby and Im waiting to pull the trigger on it :)

Ok, I'll go out and try it, I'll post back later.
    Edit: it won't be a Sky dish mind you, but a 60 cm universal offset, but performance is similar.

Ok, I'll go out and try it, I'll post back later.
    Edit: it won't be a Sky dish mind you, but a 60 cm universal offset, but performance is similar.

Like I said the skew is quite severe for 30 west.

Right, here are my findings. You can see the dish I used and I have included a screenshot of my meter, TV Cabo coming through nice and strong.
    This was just a quick rough alignment, a bit of fine tweaking would get better results, but this is more than sufficient to avoid rainfade.
    I didn't have to use too much skew, as the photos show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

snaps wrote: »
    Like I said the skew is quite severe for 30 west.

Not in Ireland, we're closer to 30 west than we are to 28 east.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Not in Ireland, we're closer to 30 west than we are to 28 east.

Perhaps, but im sure I had to skew my lnb for certain channels. Long time ago though!!!!

One other thing, the EIRP (power) levels here in Donegal are slightly lower than in the Dublin area, which should help your cause a little.

• Advertisement

wow,
    thank you so much for that
    Gotta love this forum, where else would you get that kind of help !!
    Cheers excollier !!!!

You're welcome......now, that'll be €20 consultation fee plus €30 for set up and alignment plus €5 for uploading the pictures.......;)

You're welcome......now, that'll be €20 consultation fee plus €30 for set up and alignment plus €5 for uploading the pictures.......;)

the cheques in the post ;););)

MrTrebus wrote: »
    the cheques in the post ;););)

OK picked up a 60 cm dish and bracket.. Have a spare lnb... Methinks I'll get my t90 to stick up.. Just have to sneak it up while my wife is out :)

OK .. Just have to sneak it up while my wife is out :)
    Do you really think you'll get away with it? She won't notice?

Do you really think you'll get away with it? She won't notice?

Obviously :)

Haha, my Mrs noticed an extra cable ran from my dish!

Sounds more like it.

The eagle has landed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The eagle has landed

Thats a really neat job

Advertisement