Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Eire girl wrote: »
    Just looking at upgrading from the horizon box to the new 360 box and wondering is it actually worth it?
    Our horizon box is always glitching, dropping recordings, losing sound etc, but one of the Virgin sales team actually said that the 360 is still having issues and aside from having the different profile options, isn't actually all that much better or faster than the horizon?
    Which I thought was bizzare for them to say but refreshingly honest if that's the feedback they're still getting about it.
    It'd work out about €40 a year more expensive to have the 360 but I'm so used to the horizon box at this stage I don't think I'd be bothered if it wasn't actually miles better?
    Thanks!

That is literally the worlds worst sales person. They
    Must be seriously disgruntled.

I hate VM and horizon brought me to breaking point numerous times. But the 360 box is so good. So much faster and smoother.

My biggest peeve with it, is the series link for it is poor. Keeping recording old episodes non stop. But otherwise it is a million times better than horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I know it's not ideal but if you are deleting episodes after watching -stop. The hard drive is huge. You can set it up that it will only delete when it needs the space.
    This should help if not eliminate the old episodes issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Eire girl wrote: »
    Just looking at upgrading from the horizon box to the new 360 box and wondering is it actually worth it?
    Our horizon box is always glitching, dropping recordings, losing sound etc, but one of the Virgin sales team actually said that the 360 is still having issues and aside from having the different profile options, isn't actually all that much better or faster than the horizon?
    Which I thought was bizzare for them to say but refreshingly honest if that's the feedback they're still getting about it.
    It'd work out about €40 a year more expensive to have the 360 but I'm so used to the horizon box at this stage I don't think I'd be bothered if it wasn't actually miles better?
    Thanks!

That is some genuinely awful sales technique. The horizon box is absolutely garbage and way worse than the 360 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I know it's not ideal but if you are deleting episodes after watching -stop. The hard drive is huge. You can set it up that it will only delete when it needs the space.

I switched to 360 too and very very happy with it so far, but this issue does persist from the previous box. It also records unwanted different seasons/series which is so annoying. Some of us don't like to keep stuff we've already watched, as it clutters up your recordings. They need to sort this out. Others it's 99% there.

"better to be safe than sorry" and record everything seems to be the way that it operates. I've never had Sky so I don't know how it's series link is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

360 box installed yesterday. I dont know why they couldn't just post out the box as it was plug and play using the original Coax cable.

Sending technicians out was not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

PO!NT wrote: »
    360 box installed yesterday. I dont know why they couldn't just post out the box as it was plug and play using the original Coax cable.

Sending technicians out was not needed.

That's odd, mine was just posted out by courier and I installed it myself. There was no option to do anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

Col_30 wrote: »
    That's odd, mine was just posted out by courier and I installed it myself. There was no option to do anything different.

I didnt have an option to not to have an installer, they said on the phone that an installer is needed

I ordered on Tuesday was told a technician would be out in 2 weeks, got a call yesterday to say they had a cancellation and the installer would arrive in 30min.

Your address is marked suitable or not suitable for a self install and it's not 100%. Even if you know 100% you can do a self install the agent can't or won't change from sending an Installer if it's marked as not self install. A tech told me this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bruman

On Tuesday, I upgraded to a 360 box. I previous had a Horizon box which had built in wifi (not a standalone router). The Horizon box was slow & overheated. My package with the Horizon box was €91 pm for 100+ channels & 100 MB broadband. I was told I could have the exact same channels & 250 MB broadband for an extra €1 pm (i.e €92 pm).

Got my 360 box yesterday. I had not planned on setting it up until the weekend however the Horizon box TV was disabled yesterday at 5.30pm so I had no choice but to set up the 360 box.

When unboxed, I realised the router was missing. VM screwed up here & are supposed to be sending out a router in the coming days. Make it very clear when you are ordering that you need a router if your wifi is incorporated into the Horizon box.

When I set up the new 360 box, I only had 50 odd stations. I was onto VM earlier today & they said the €92 package has less stations & there was nothing they could do. I was lied to by the sales person in VM (I have the chat saved) / was mis-sold the upgrade. After a lot of time on the VM chat / 1908 number, the loyalty team put me on a more expensive package to get my stations back, however they applied a discount for 9 months. Over a 12 month period, it is more or less net no difference.

So far, the 360 box appears quite good. It is a lot faster than the Horizon box & the playback feature is very good, i.e. if you missed a programme a few hours before, you can replay it.

Despite not yet having all of my stations, some of the stations I should have are not working. This is down to the signal strength. Whilst waiting for the router, I have had to make up my own splitter to operate the old Horizon box (for wifi) and the new 360 box. I suspect this is weakening the signal. From what I can make out, the signal going into the 360 box needs to be really good.

The 360 box is way better than the old Horizon box but be very careful if considering an upgrade. If you want to spend the same money per month, it is highly unlikely you will get the same amount of channels.

I would love to move away from VM (Sky is far better IMO) however I am very limited on broadband providers in my area. The VM broadband is very good.

Just my 2 cents worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

bruman wrote: »
    On Tuesday, I upgraded to a 360 box. I previous had a Horizon box which had built in wifi (not a standalone router). The Horizon box was slow & overheated. My package with the Horizon box was €91 pm for 100+ channels & 100 MB broadband. I was told I could have the exact same channels & 250 MB broadband for an extra €1 pm (i.e €92 pm).

Got my 360 box yesterday. I had not planned on setting it up until the weekend however the Horizon box TV was disabled yesterday at 5.30pm so I had no choice but to set up the 360 box.

When unboxed, I realised the router was missing. VM screwed up here & are supposed to be sending out a router in the coming days. Make it very clear when you are ordering that you need a router if your wifi is incorporated into the Horizon box.

When I set up the new 360 box, I only had 50 odd stations. I was onto VM earlier today & they said the €92 package has less stations & there was nothing they could do. I was lied to by the sales person in VM (I have the chat saved) / was mis-sold the upgrade. After a lot of time on the VM chat / 1908 number, the loyalty team put me on a more expensive package to get my stations back, however they applied a discount for 9 months. Over a 12 month period, it is more or less net no difference.

So far, the 360 box appears quite good. It is a lot faster than the Horizon box & the playback feature is very good, i.e. if you missed a programme a few hours before, you can replay it.

Despite not yet having all of my stations, some of the stations I should have are not working. This is down to the signal strength. Whilst waiting for the router, I have had to make up my own splitter to operate the old Horizon box (for wifi) and the new 360 box. I suspect this is weakening the signal. From what I can make out, the signal going into the 360 box needs to be really good.

The 360 box is way better than the old Horizon box but be very careful if considering an upgrade. If you want to spend the same money per month, it is highly unlikely you will get the same amount of channels.

I would love to move away from VM (Sky is far better IMO) however I am very limited on broadband providers in my area. The VM broadband is very good.

Just my 2 cents worth

That's very annoying that they didn't send you a router. Would you consider sky for TV and VM for BB? Not the cheapest option I know but definitely the best. My opinion obviously.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's very annoying that they didn't send you a router. Would you consider sky for TV and VM for BB? Not the cheapest option I know but definitely the best. My opinion obviously.

Will deffo look at this next year when my 12 months are up. Given all the hassle I have gone through over the past 2 days, I don't really want to have to deal with VM on the chat / phone for a long time.

Assuming I get my standalone router in the coming days, it will make it easier to cancel the TV element in 12 months should I decide to go down that route. If I had decided to cut out the TV & just use their broadband the other day (before the 360 upgrade), i would have had to get a standalone router anyway.

Also, with Covid etc, I understand that there is a slight delay with Sky installing dishes etc. as the engineers cannot enter houses (I could be wrong & am open to correction on this).

At least I know where I stand & have 12 months to prepare should I decide to switch. Hopefully, in 12 months, 5G will be rolled out for resi broadband. I believe this is as good as / if not better than fibre.

As I am getting used to the 360 box, I must say, I am impressed with the programme playback function & the ability to watch programmes that were aired earlier in the month (if you search by series). Far superior to the old Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

HI bruman,

If youre using your own splitter it may not be the right spec. VM should send you a splitter with the Modem. I would suggest that, with the issues you're having, you request a tech install as opposed to self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If youre using your own splitter it may not be the right spec. VM should send you a splitter with the Modem. I would suggest that, with the issues you're having, you request a tech install as opposed to self install.

Did I miss something in his post - what 'issues' are you talking about :confused: They sent him a TV360 box with no router, even though his customer profile should have shown that he didn't already have a separate router. Not his fault.

If someone is able to make up his own splitter, I hardly think he needs a techie to help him install the VM-supplied splitter. Where the three ports are clearly labelled.

Quick update - eventually got to speak with somebody good in VM on the phone today after getting nowhere for 5 hours on the VM Chat. It transpires that the person I was dealing with yesterday never ordered the router :mad:.

What prompted by contact was the additional channels they were to load back onto my plan did not happen. I am now told that I need the router for this to happen.

The 360 Box will not work properly without the router hence the problems I am having. 360 Box now disabled by VM & Horizon box re-activated for the weekend.

Hopefully when the correct kit arrives on Monday, I'll get it working properly.

I didn't realise how slow the Horizon box was until it was re-activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Does anyone know when the black Friday deal soundbars are due to ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

goose06 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the black Friday deal soundbars are due to ship?

I got a text to say mine was arriving today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Here's the problem my box is already 67% full and that's WITH me deleting out watched episodes.

If I don't delete them the box will be full in no time, the hard drives isn't as big as you think it is.

I'd set the box up to auto delete when it needs space and see how that goes. It is 1TB.

I presume it won't start acting up at 80% full aprox. like the Horizon does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So I WAS on an old contract paying 64 quid for 250Mbps BB only. Called them today and managed to get the 55 euro TV/500Mbps offer currently running.

So what's the verdict on the 360TV box? I mean I have Freesat coming in anyway and am happy with the HD pic quality from that. But was just wondering what the verdict is on the new box interface etc 'cos the old one was sh*t.

• Advertisement

You will be pleasantly surprised. Voice search is superb and replay - just don't bother with RTE as they won't let fast forwarding.

You will be pleasantly surprised. Voice search is superb and replay - just don't bother with RTE as they won't let fast forwarding.

Voice Search and voice commands is excellent, puts Siri to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Loughc wrote: »
    Here's the problem my box is already 67% full and that's WITH me deleting out watched episodes.

If I don't delete them the box will be full in no time, the hard drives isn't as big as you think it is.

When you scroll through your recordings, the TV360 box doesn't tell you how much space each program is using, the Horizon box gave you the % space that each program used.

To save space on the Horizon box, I used to often record from the SD version of channels like BBC2 or Channel 4 where HD didn't add any value - studio game shows for example. I've been doing that the odd time with the TV60 box but I'm not sure I'm saving any space as my 4K TV tells me that everything coming from the TV360 box is in UHD.

SD recording certainly won't use as much space as HD but personally I will record everything available in HD. Set up your box to auto delete and don't delete yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Loughc wrote: »

I’ve hit 100% several times. I’m having to manage recordings daily to keep it down, I’ve 43 series recorded, for example one is a series which I only need the last two seasons, but it keeps recording all seasons (26 eps a season) which eats up the box very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Got it myself this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

SD recording certainly won't use as much space as HD but personally I will record everything available in HD. Set up your box to auto delete and don't delete yourself.

How do you do that? I didnt think The new box had auto delete? The old one did of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Hi Guys, Quick question on replay TV. Is replay tv only available for Irish channels or are any of the English ones included?

In theory its a great feature but not amazing if its only the irish channels

Lot's of UK as well. No BBC that's because they won't give permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Lot's of UK as well. No BBC that's because they won't give permission.

Thanks, so both good and bad news

Advertisement