Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin

• 03-01-2021 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I wonder if anyone here has any knowledge of Latin? I have an old medal that I think belonged to my Grand Uncle who studied for the priesthood in Rome and would be interested in finding out the translation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

have you tried any of the online translators?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mossie

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    have you tried any of the online translators?

Thanks. I've tried google translate and get something like "Urban College Students - Religion and Doctrine" for one side. The other side is proving more difficult as it's harder to read and there are a few abbreviations I'm trying to figure out.

Is it still a leaving cert subject?

xieann wrote: »
    Is it still a leaving cert subject?

Not sure of that.

mossie wrote: »
    Thanks. I've tried google translate and get something like "Urban College Students - Religion and Doctrine" for one side. The other side is proving more difficult as it's harder to read and there are a few abbreviations I'm trying to figure out.

The back says something like "the whole world to every creature" but that's as far as I can go. I found a website for "Collegio Urbano" which may be the college involved so I might contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

mossie wrote: »
    The back says something like "the whole world to every creature" but that's as far as I can go. I found a website for "Collegio Urbano" which may be the college involved so I might contact them.

It could be something like "Alumnus of the Collegio Urbano - Religion and Doctrine - Go into the whole world to evangelise all creation".
    Can you post the Latin letters that you are able to make out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Still remember this addition in my old Latin primer - "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Treppen

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Still remember this addition in my old Latin primer - "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me." :D

It's all Greek to me

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Why don't you write out the latin inscriptions, front and back and we'll have a go:)

It could be something like "Alumnus of the Collegio Urbano - Religion and Doctrine - Go into the whole world to evangelise all creation".
    Can you post the Latin letters that you are able to make out?

That makes sense.

It Looks like: (assuming V is actually U)
    Front: "Alumnus Collegii Urbani" "Doctrinae Et Pietati"
    Rear: "Euntus in Universum Mundum Prardic Evang Omni Creaturae "

I think that's pretty close to what you wrote above. It seems to be a verse from the bible "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."

• Advertisement
Advertisement