Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Technomate Restoring USB Backup OPENATV - Need Help

Options
  • 08-10-2020 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - Genuinely need advice, im in a bind RE STB Hanging on Restore

Having a major issue today with my Technomate TM-2T.

Background
    - Spent a lot of time using this during the lockdown, and frequently scanned in some odd transponders and channels - It was working fine but i felt it was slowing down recently and had decided that at some stage id wipe it and reinstall from scratch - Attempted this today, and decided that, as i was gonna start from scratch i would try a different firmware

Issue - No end of issues arose, as every firmware i attempted to install seemed to bootloop OR install but with very little functionality - no plug ins

Firmware attempted include: OpenATV 6.2 - OpenATV 6.4 - OpenVix - Please note all of the used files were downloaded from the appropriate sources, in otherwords, these were NOT backups of someone elses system - all installed using a 4GB USB2 Pendrive

I eventually dug out my initial Stable Backup taken about a year ago - i figured this would obviously be a set back, as everything that i had changed would be gone, but i none the less expected it to work. This file was stored on my laptop and i installed it the usual way - Pendrive, restart - click ok when 'Firmware Detected' appeared on screen

That was at Half Past 3 - Now going on 5 o clock, the STB is hanging on UPDATING...... Hasnt moved at all
    • Did i do something obviously incorrect?
    • Is there any chance that a Backup (with installed channels from 7/9/10/13/16/19.2/23.5E) would take OVER AN HOUR to reinstall? Has anyone ever experienced this before?
    • What are the ramifications of pulling the plug, and how long more should i give it?
    • Is it more likely i have bricked the box, or will definitely do so if i pull the plug?

For completeness here is my setup in full

TM-T2 Technomate with 500GB HDD internally installed
    1M Satellite dish with 6LNB multi holder - focused on HOTBIRD13 - configuration is // 7 // 9 // 13 // 16 // 19.2 // 23.5 //

Backup was from a while back but it would have channels from all above satellites - and about 13 Bouquets - One or two plug ins but nothing extravagant

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Most of the time if box cant flash its the usb issue,many linux boxes have that issue,try another and format to fat 32 and extract image on to it and insert in rear when powered off,no other usb devices plugged in and power on,any buttons to press to start it off?
    Old backups might not work if using plugin restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

greasepalm wrote: »
    Most of the time if box cant flash its the usb issue,many linux boxes have that issue,try another and format to fat 32 and extract image on to it and insert in rear when powered off,no other usb devices plugged in and power on,any buttons to press to start it off?
    Old backups might not work if using plugin restore.

Is there an issue with pulling the plug while it says its 'Updating' - I feel if i do that im sealing its Fate? But then is there ANY WAY it could still be 'updating' after almost 2 hours as i type this? - will pulling the plug not 'brick' it?

Again im sorry for bothering you all - and if anyone sees sense in leaving it for about 2 hours, (heck even 24hours) il do so

You could leave it and see if others might know how to stop the process by telnet or putty as i use neither so cant answer that query.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

greasepalm wrote: »
    You could leave it and see if others might know how to stop the process by telnet or putty as i use neither so cant answer that query.

I really appreciate your help man! I took the plunge a few moments ago, and to my shock it posted the 'Technomate' logo on screen - and basically just hung like that

However i put a USB disk in with a fresh older version of OpenATV and Low and behold, shes installing now

Genuinely thanks for your input - I effectively knew that it could not possibly spend more than an hour flashing, but i was so reluctant to just 'pull the plug' - You know how it goes, people do it all the time, and end up destroying Mainboards, Laptops, and Phones - (I have a relative who has done it TWICE to two separate phones)

Anyway fortunately this seems to be installing again now, and as i type it i can see a progress bar on screen

Thanks again! Guess il be spending the evening re-creating my Channel Bouquets and Settings i Like!:)

Using old firmware might not work 100% as things are always changing and might have to reflash boxes every 6 months but i use vix.At least your back working again thank god for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement