Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-10-2019, 23:29   #1
Biodegradable
Banned

'Friend Suggestions' on Facebook?

I notice that after looking people up, that I will later get their name as a friend suggestion. The question I have is, does this also mean that I pop up somewhere on their page as a friend suggestion? I was looking at the pages of two people recently, who I knew about a year ago, and when I went back to look at their pages again, suddenly both of their 'lists of friends' were no longer visible to public.

I always make sure to use my fake facebook account if I want to have a good gawk at someone I really have a thing for, but maybe I should start using this account more often! There were no friend suggestions before though. You could just look up people's profiles and they'd never know about it.

Last edited by Biodegradable; 27-10-2019 at 13:58.
Advertisement
26-10-2019, 23:35   #2
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
I notice that after looking people up, that I will later get their name as a friend suggestion. The question I have is, does this also mean that I pop up somewhere on their page as a friend suggestion? I was looking at the pages of two girls recently, who I knew about a year ago, and when I went back to look at their pages, suddenly both of their list of friends were no longer visible to public.
Yes. Thats how suggestions work.
26-10-2019, 23:40   #3
Wishox

My suggestion ? Get off Facebook, I work in IT and left it years ago, Nothing good will ever come from trading your personal inforrmation for a "Free" service
27-10-2019, 00:04   #4
madmaggie

This creeps me out when using Facebook. I once looked up a doctor, thinking I'd get his business page, instead it was his personal page. I was afraid he'd think I was a mad bunny boiler.
27-10-2019, 07:32   #5
Trigger Happy

People in my phone contacts list sometimes appear in my suggested friends list. Does that mean they have been looking me up or facebook is in cahoots with my phone?!
Advertisement
27-10-2019, 07:35   #6
Sinus pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaggie View Post
This creeps me out when using Facebook. I once looked up a doctor, thinking I'd get his business page, instead it was his personal page. I was afraid he'd think I was a mad bunny boiler.
Exact same thing happened to me recently!
Thanks from:
27-10-2019, 07:36   #7
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
People in my phone contacts list sometimes appear in my suggested friends list. Does that mean they have been looking me up or facebook is in cahoots with my phone?!
Check if the app has permission to access your contacts.
Thanks from:
27-10-2019, 07:37   #8
Irishphotodesk

Quote:
Chances are you gave Facebook access to your contacts (app permissions).

I assume you have Facebook as an app on your phone.
Thanks from:
27-10-2019, 07:39   #9

Quote:
Facebook most likely has all your contact data, especially if you installed the app. I have a mate who has never been on Facebook but yet Facebook have created a shadow profile with all his info they have gathered from everyone else. Creepy stuff.

I closed my Facebook account earlier in the year and before doing so downloaded a copy of all the data. It was eye opening
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-10-2019, 08:48   #10
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Yes. Thats how suggestions work.
That's annoying. So anytime I want to have a good gawk at someone I'll have to do it from my fake account.

And for all the people who appear on my friend suggestion list - have they been looking at my profile?
27-10-2019, 13:54   #11
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishox View Post
My suggestion ? Get off Facebook, I work in IT and left it years ago, Nothing good will ever come from trading your personal inforrmation for a "Free" service
What personal info? I've a few photos up there, and the city that I live in. It's not like I have my phone number given, or even my date of birth. What is the worst that could hypothetically go wrong?

If Mark Zuckerberg wanted to stalk me, all he'd be able to see would be who I'm friends with!
27-10-2019, 13:57   #12
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
What personal info? I've a few photos up there, and the city that I live in. It's not like I have my phone number given, or even my date of birth. What is the worst that could hypothetically go wrong?

If Mark Zuckerberg wanted to stalk me, all he'd be able to see would be who I'm friends with!
People have this thing about it (mainly so they can tell you they don’t have it) but you’re right. In reality there’s an abundance of controls to allow people to see only what you want them to see.
Even if you had something like your phone number visible to friends? So what? If someone is going to do something dodgy with your phone number then you’d need to be looking at the quality of the friends, not facebook.
Thanks from:
27-10-2019, 14:03   #13
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
People have this thing about it (mainly so they can tell you they don’t have it) but you’re right. In reality there’s an abundance of controls to allow people to see only what you want them to see.
Even if you had something like your phone number visible to friends? So what? If someone is going to do something dodgy with your phone number then you’d need to be looking at the quality of the friends, not facebook.
Yes. I have heard though, that before companies hire certain candidates, that what they can do in order to know more about you, is track what you are interested in and then make a fake ad available to match that interest. Once you subscribe to that ad, they can then see everything about you that your friends can see. I heard something like that from someone who works in security, and that apparently nearly every company has a person who does this when screening for new employees.
27-10-2019, 14:03   #14

Quote:

The Name, address, email and phone numbers of you and all your contacts for a start. Each and every site and advert you visit and your location and IP address when you visit. The Facebook like button on pages is tracking you. You are giving up lots more than you realise

https://fortune.com/2018/03/21/faceb...dge-analytica/
27-10-2019, 14:08   #15
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The high horse brigade View Post
The Name, address, email and phone numbers of you and all your contacts for a start.
Incorrect, they can't get my phone number unless they ring up one of my friends and them for it. I have not made my phone number available to facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The high horse brigade View Post
Each and every site and advert you visit and your location and IP address when you visit. The Facebook like button on pages is tracking you. You are giving up lots more than you realise
So they can see what sites I visit while I'm logged into facebook? or they can see whatever I do on my PC at any time?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion