Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 22:36   #2761
tryagain
Registered User
 
tryagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 44
A lot of players were good at world cup but we need more how can our 4 sides in Europe show so much fight pull on green at WC and do nothing cycle after cycle. Is it to much pressure for our players because we now expect to win we are not underdogs anymore is it a mental thing .
tryagain is offline  
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 22:58   #2762
Shefwedfan
Registered User
 
Shefwedfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 14,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
A lot of players were good at world cup but we need more how can our 4 sides in Europe show so much fight pull on green at WC and do nothing cycle after cycle. Is it to much pressure for our players because we now expect to win we are not underdogs anymore is it a mental thing .

They won a Grand Slam in 2018.....


In the last 6 years they have won the 6 nations 3 times, won a tour of Australia, beat NZ twice.....etc etc



Does that count as nothing now?
Shefwedfan is offline  
01-12-2019, 23:32   #2763
tryagain
Registered User
 
tryagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 44
The answer to that is Scotland Italy are 2nd tier now France have been poor for a longtime now that leaves Wales and England for six nations .Do SH teams care about anything but WC not totally true but the main aim is WC .For us not winning a knockout game in the history of WC is simply not good enough and I loved beating NZ twice but since the Argies in 2015 its been 2019 the goal the holygrail. I went to Japan and seen them beat a few nobodys and a rugby nation in freefall and lose to Japan was home for the QTR thank God .NZ come home and the players are still in pain and will be for next 4 years until they get a shot at it again but only a few weeks gone and our players are world beaters again this time next year we will be odds on to at least reach the final of next one. We need a dose of reality and quickly rugby is on the up in this country but if we dont start performing when it matters and to the average Joe that is WC, rugby will go backwards we are a small island and many sports looking in a small pool the next 4 years are critical .
tryagain is offline  
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 05:18   #2764
joseywhales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,544
The answer is simple

European cup<six Nations<world cup
joseywhales is offline  
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2019, 05:41   #2765
Dave_The_Sheep
Registered User
 
Dave_The_Sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseywhales View Post
The answer is simple

European cup<six Nations<world cup
Some might feel: 6N Win < Heineken Cup < 6N Grand Slam < World Cup.
Dave_The_Sheep is online now  
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 08:50   #2766
aloooof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Will Connors needs to be looked at by Andy Farrel. The guy is starting to match VdF for work rate around the pitch. He tackles everything that moves and carries a lot of slow ball whilst still making metres. He's also dominant in the tackle which is something we've missed since Leavy got injured. On the subject of openside flankers, VDF is in brilliant form as well. He was good at the World Cup and has moved up a level again since returning.

Might need to reintegrate Toner into the side too. He was imperious in the lineout.
Not sure if you're referring to Leinster or Ireland in the bold, but I always feel this is on area that CJ excels in that sometimes gets overlooked. He's so strong in the tackle.
aloooof is offline  
02-12-2019, 08:52   #2767
aloooof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
The answer to that is Scotland Italy are 2nd tier now France have been poor for a longtime now that leaves Wales and England for six nations .Do SH teams care about anything but WC not totally true but the main aim is WC .For us not winning a knockout game in the history of WC is simply not good enough and I loved beating NZ twice but since the Argies in 2015 its been 2019 the goal the holygrail. I went to Japan and seen them beat a few nobodys and a rugby nation in freefall and lose to Japan was home for the QTR thank God .NZ come home and the players are still in pain and will be for next 4 years until they get a shot at it again but only a few weeks gone and our players are world beaters again this time next year we will be odds on to at least reach the final of next one. We need a dose of reality and quickly rugby is on the up in this country but if we dont start performing when it matters and to the average Joe that is WC, rugby will go backwards we are a small island and many sports looking in a small pool the next 4 years are critical .
Aside from anything else, absolutely nobody is saying we are world beaters again.
aloooof is offline  
02-12-2019, 10:28   #2768
Niallof9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloooof View Post
Aside from anything else, absolutely nobody is saying we are world beaters again.
give it a couple of more months.

the redemption articles continue thick and fast. Henshaw today
Niallof9 is offline  
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 10:33   #2769
Shefwedfan
Registered User
 
Shefwedfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 14,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
The answer to that is Scotland Italy are 2nd tier now France have been poor for a longtime now that leaves Wales and England for six nations .Do SH teams care about anything but WC not totally true but the main aim is WC .For us not winning a knockout game in the history of WC is simply not good enough and I loved beating NZ twice but since the Argies in 2015 its been 2019 the goal the holygrail. I went to Japan and seen them beat a few nobodys and a rugby nation in freefall and lose to Japan was home for the QTR thank God .NZ come home and the players are still in pain and will be for next 4 years until they get a shot at it again but only a few weeks gone and our players are world beaters again this time next year we will be odds on to at least reach the final of next one. We need a dose of reality and quickly rugby is on the up in this country but if we dont start performing when it matters and to the average Joe that is WC, rugby will go backwards we are a small island and many sports looking in a small pool the next 4 years are critical .



The SH teams would love to have a competition like the 6 nations. The Rugby Championship is poor, brings in very little money and has no history. Hence why they wanted to start that World Rugby League, an attempt at putting the 6 nations and the World Cup itself as a second tier competition.


So yes NZ, Aus and SA only concentrate on the WC because they have nothing else to play for.



The WC is a competition that comes around every 4 years....winning HC, Pro14 and 6 nations is the aim for the next few years. The WC will look after itself when it comes around
Shefwedfan is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 10:55   #2770
thebaz
Registered User
 
thebaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
They won a Grand Slam in 2018.....


In the last 6 years they have won the 6 nations 3 times, won a tour of Australia, beat NZ twice.....etc etc



Does that count as nothing now?
course it counts for something , but the big one is the World cup, which Ireland continue to falter at, absolutly a valid question to ask why we continue to fail, I think it is a mental/pressure thing , of not being able to get over Quaters. The players and most people involved in rugby know that the World cup is the Everest in rugby, and the Irish record continues to be poor , some people may be happy to win triple crowns and the like but I think most realise expectations have thankfully moved on.
thebaz is offline  
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 11:36   #2771
Shefwedfan
Registered User
 
Shefwedfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 14,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
course it counts for something , but the big one is the World cup, which Ireland continue to falter at, absolutly a valid question to ask why we continue to fail, I think it is a mental/pressure thing , of not being able to get over Quaters. The players and most people involved in rugby know that the World cup is the Everest in rugby, and the Irish record continues to be poor , some people may be happy to win triple crowns and the like but I think most realise expectations have thankfully moved on.

This is the post I replied to....highlighting the specific section


Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
A lot of players were good at world cup but we need more how can our 4 sides in Europe show so much fight pull on green at WC and do nothing cycle after cycle. Is it to much pressure for our players because we now expect to win we are not underdogs anymore is it a mental thing .


Ireland has won how many Grand Slam's and 6 nations in our history? We are bottom of the list in the 6 nations apart from Italy. Bit strange for an Irish fan to call a grand slam nothing

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table. We are the country who has the glory of winning the wooden spoon most often.....

As I have posted many times, the WC will look after itself. If the SH have it ways the next one will be a second rate competition.

Let's concentrate on winning trophies. If anything SA have shown that spending 4 years pi**ing around concentrating on a competition can mean feck all at the end of the day.....

Look at England in 2007 or France in 2011? both got to final and they only decided team/formation/tactics in the tournament
Shefwedfan is offline  
02-12-2019, 11:54   #2772
thebaz
Registered User
 
thebaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
This is the post I replied to....highlighting the specific section



Ireland has won how many Grand Slam's and 6 nations in our history? We are bottom of the list in the 6 nations apart from Italy. Bit strange for an Irish fan to call a grand slam nothing

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table.
fair eneogh - but I would judge rugby over past 20 years , since its gone Pro and the WC has emerged as the premier trophy. Ireland have made substantial improvements since last Century, and to move on again we need to perform at a WC , we have done most other things, but its like every 4 years the pressure builds , and we non perform , not sure how it is overcome , other teams have hit this pressure wall, Mayo , Spurs ,even Liverpools recently and the league, Leinster before Cheika

Last edited by thebaz; 02-12-2019 at 12:02.
thebaz is offline  
02-12-2019, 12:10   #2773
Shefwedfan
Registered User
 
Shefwedfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 14,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
fair eneogh - but I would judge rugby over past 20 years , since its gone Pro and the WC has emerged as the premier trophy. Ireland have made substantial improvements since last Century, and to move on again we need to perform at a WC , we have done most other things, but its like every 4 years the pressure builds , and we non perform , not sure how it is overcome , other teams have hit this pressure wall, Mayo , Spurs ,even Liverpools recently and the league, Leinster before Cheika

Talking about the WC for 4 years doesn't seem to help does it?

.


After 2011, all we done was talk about the WC for 4 years, after 2015, all we done was talk about the WC for 4 years....did it work? no.....are we doing the exact same thing again? yes so far


Maybe, just maybe we should just forget all about the WC till 2023 warm up games. Then just pick the players that are in form. The squad will naturally refresh itself so for the next 4 years anyway



At the moment if you look at the WC squad the likes of Murray, Henshaw, R Kearney, Carty, etc don't deserve to be in a 6 nations squad because of drop in form. Shock horror but Furlong as well should not be starting.....Healy was under huge pressure from Kilcoyne but his injury has stopped that.....
Shefwedfan is offline  
02-12-2019, 20:27   #2774
jacothelad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
This is the post I replied to....highlighting the specific section






Ireland has won how many Grand Slam's and 6 nations in our history? We are bottom of the list in the 6 nations apart from Italy. Bit strange for an Irish fan to call a grand slam nothing

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table.
We are the country who has the glory of winning the wooden spoon most often.....

As I have posted many times, the WC will look after itself. If the SH have it ways the next one will be a second rate competition.

Let's concentrate on winning trophies. If anything SA have shown that spending 4 years pi**ing around concentrating on a competition can mean feck all at the end of the day.....

Look at England in 2007 or France in 2011? both got to final and they only decided team/formation/tactics in the tournament



Ireland have never had a 6 Nations wooden spoon.....Just saying. Almost did in 2013...but France were even worse.
jacothelad is offline  
Thanks from:
03-12-2019, 07:32   #2775
Burkie1203
Registered User
 
Burkie1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,515
UEFA are urging the FAI to sell their stake in the Aviva to the IRFU. Interesting solution
Burkie1203 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet